ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mr Car drinks petrol......Overnight!

Right heres my problem which i have only noticed recently.....

Get home at night and when sat on the drive the needle will be say exactly on the half mark, i turn the car off and leave it for the night.

Wake up in the morning and have literally lost around 2 notches of feul (not loads but its bloody annoying!).

Possible whole or leak?

Any ideas as it doesnt happen during the day!

Golf R/Leon FR
lol @ mr car!!
is your drive on a hill/slant?? does it go back up after you have driven it for a short while??
if not then you either have a dodgy needle or a leak somewhere

al

ST on the way...
A leak is possible check for fluid under the car, although petrol evapourates quickly so you'd need to be extra observant!

Monaco Blue 172
leak seems likely. i didnt realise my fuel tank was falling to bits until i got under and looked at it... have u noticed a slight odor of petrol around the tank? i'm guessing by the pic that ur car is pretty old, my M reg rover fuel tank disintegrated a couple of years ago and had to be replaced...

Normal isn't it?

My Williams does it..

It'll say one thing.. (Normally over 3/4'ers) and then when I restart engine, it'll be down to 3/4's.

I think the guage is just crap..

But, it could be a leak.. but a couple of notches (I take it you mean small notches) might be the same as me.

Mk1 Ph2 1.4 RT !FOR SALE!
Temperature.

The fuel will be warmer in the evening, especially if the car has been driven, so will have expanded slightly.

Then when you get in the car when it is cool in the morning, it will have reduced slightly.

Nyphur said:
Temperature.

The fuel will be warmer in the evening, especially if the car has been driven, so will have expanded slightly.

Then when you get in the car when it is cool in the morning, it will have reduced slightly.

what he said,

Hmm yeah seems like it could be that^^

Just thoug it was weird sure its not a leak as its only one or two small notches and it never smells of petrol plus the car isn't on ahill etc.

Cheers guys kinda put my mind at ease!

Mondeo STTDCI
Nyphur said:
Temperature.

FINALLY! Reading the thread I didnt believe it would take this long!

I think it's "mr car" going for a sneeky blast around the country lanes at night with his other Clio mates.... :clown:

Titanium Clio 182
Nyphur said:
Temperature.

you cannot compress a liquid, which means it cant expand, so your statement is out of the question. :)

mcyates said:
you cannot compress a liquid, which means it cant expand, so your statement is out of the question. :)
What??

Any liquid is denser when cold as the atoms/molecules/whatever in it move less, therefore can sit closer together!

And any liquid can expand - steam is just water that has expanded to a point that it's become gaseous!

Trophy No. 440
mcyates said:

If liquids do not expand and contract with temperature then how do liquid filled thermometers work?

(Not all thermometers use mercury, some use coloured liquids)

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
White16valver said:
What??

Any liquid is denser when cold as the atoms/molecules/whatever in it move less, therefore can sit closer together!

And any liquid can expand - steam is just water that has expanded to a point that it's become gaseous!

i hated chemistry at school:boring:

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
mcyates said:

I take it you never passed your Physics exam at school;)

Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v
You can compress a liquid as there are tiny gaps between the atoms.......its solids (where the atoms are more compact) that you cant compress!

However you can slightly compress a soild but as its only a small amount we tend to say you cant!

so im afraid the statement about not being able to compress liquid is FASLE :approve: