ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Moving battery to rear...

Ph1 T
I'm looking into moving my battery to the rear this weekend mainly to create room in the engine bay,,

The car is stripped so it's not a problem moving it,

in wondering what battery is best for the job? Can you use a standard battery or does it have to be a smaller/race battery?

Also of anyone could sort me a list of what I need to do it that would be great?

Dan

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Standard battery is fine, or you can use a smaller one to save weight.

You can either try and mount it down in the wheel well to get it out the way, or just bolt a cradle or box for it into the boot, mine is just bolted down on the pass side of the boot in a metal cradle.

BMW cable is a good one to go for, can be had cheap from the scrappies and has a good jump start point at the front and a couple of decent sized connections.

Ph1 T
Cheers chip think I'll get in touch with some scrappies see if they've got anything in,,

If not wheres best place to get the cable and box from?

I was thinking about fitting It in the spare wheel well or behind the pass seat if possible,,

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
On my mk1 i have it where the rear seat used to be, behind the pass seat is fine too but mine is mounted too far back to allow that.

You can just use a decent quality jump lead or buy a length of cable. Ive added a megablade fuse on my mk1 too just in case, and I will be doing the same on the mk2 turbo as well but just havent got round to it yet, ive seen cars catch fire due to the main battery cable being damaged before (run through the car is a good idea)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
PS, a lot of race type batteries can be laid flat, if that makes it easier for you to find somewhere to fit it, like sparewheel well etc.

Ph1 T
Going to be making the box for the battery tommorow

Chip am I right in thinking all i will need is the longer cable to get to the back and a junction box?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Going to be making the box for the battery tommorow

Chip am I right in thinking all i will need is the longer cable to get to the back and a junction box?

Yes mate, well plus an earth lead from battery to car in the boot etc.

WRX
If it's any help new Jag XJs have rear placed batteries so they might be a suitable alternative lead choice.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As mentioned above, I would fuse it right by the battery too, with a 200AMP or so fuse (ie enough for starter motor to still turn)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I mounted mine in the spare wheel well and fitted a inline breaker rather than a fuse so if it trips its quick and easy to reset.

1342017335.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
16mm2 is way too small IMHO

I would be looking at way bigger than that personally, minimum of 25mm2, and really 40mm2 to know you have plenty of headroom

Ph1 T
Yeah,, its a 2 way junction box I need isn't it mate cos seen they do a 2 or 3,,

Also I'll need to fit the fuse close to the battery is that correct? Sorry about questions just want to make sure I've got everything for when I do it this weekend,,

Junction box in engine bay-cable from junction box to rear with 200amp mega fuse then connect cable to battery-earth from battery to car job done?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Doesnt really matter as you can always bolt more than one item to one junction, or leave one spare etc.

Yeah 200amp next to battery is ideal.

Ph1 T
Right ordered my cable and mega fuse from ebay should be here tommorow is there any electrical stores i can pick up the junction box i need?..

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
If you're using the bulkhead fitting as Morgan suggested, wherever you like to keep it neat & tidy shirley? :)