ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Motorsport can be dangerous

I was stood in my usual place at Castle Combe on Monday, me and about 2 or 3 other people around that particular area (it's not a great spectating spot, but it's the fastest part of the circuit), then this happened...

http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4825

Amazingly the driver survived and after being airlifted to hospital was released the next day with a dislocated shoulder.

I was literally just out of frame to the right up against the fence about 20ft up from the initial impact (it landed another 20ft past us), I ran but thankfully very little of the debris made it over the fence, just the engine cover and a few little bits. The worst bit was being right there before the marshals got to him, it seemed to take forever before we saw any movement from him.

A lucky escape, and ironic considering just a few weeks ago a family moaned when a marshal asked them not to let their kids sit on the fence behind the barrier.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Was that just before Camp?

Thats a hell of a crash! Glad he's ok.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
wow thats some inpact..

where are his wrist restraints? same as in the mx5 crash posted on another thread thought all open cabin cars had to have wrist restraints to stop flappy arms!!
glad hes ok!!

Arctic Blue 182ff
What part of the track is that? Doesn't look like the run up to Camp, as didn't realise the barrier just stops there!

wow thats some inpact..

where are his wrist restraints? same as in the mx5 crash posted on another thread thought all open cabin cars had to have wrist restraints to stop flappy arms!!
glad hes ok!!

Recommended but not mandatory iirc.

Was getting ready to post rip looking at the pictures glad he's ok.

182 Cup
I was there too, sitting at camp, thought he was dead the way the marshalls were holding up tarps to stop people seeing! it happened just coming up to avon rise.

What part of the track is that? Doesn't look like the run up to Camp, as didn't realise the barrier just stops there!

Avon Rise, the barrier doesn't stop, just an overlap to allow access but you can't see it due to the angle of the pics.

That happened literally just before I turned up, saw the emergency vehicles from quarry when we came up the steps. Not long after once they restarted the 458 challenge car binned it on the entrance to avon rise.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I went into drift mode there at about 100mph in the wet. Somehow (no talent involved!) I saved it.

To say I messed my pants was an understatement.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Didn't realise you guys were there, I did see a black ph1, black v6 and RB 182.

We saw the emergency vehicles going to the scene whilst we were at quarry, suprised he's still alive but the frame work did its job when we got to see it back in the pits

Oil Burner
A very lucky boy indeed. I agree they should have arm restraints, anything to improve safety. I was unfortunately at Cadwell Park last weekend, a very sad ending to a great event. But these guys know what they are getting in to.

Chris did you catch any shots of #27 in the classic Ferrari challenge?

Lucky to escape with just a dislocated shoulder :eek:

How did it happen then? Contact with another car?

Yep tangled wheels with the Wiltshire College car and just speared off towards the barrier, I saw in unfolding so started moving back almost straight away, crashes there are very rare but when they do happen they are always big. Won't be too long before they catch fence that stretch of track.

Golf GTD Mk7
jesus. That's a bad one. Car held up well, body panels aside. That couple just stand there and don't change expression.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
I honestly cant believe he is okay

I also cant believe the fat b*****d standing watching, didnt move at all in the diffrent pictures lol

I honestly cant believe he is okay

I also cant believe the fat b*****d standing watching, didnt move at all in the diffrent pictures lol

That's the compression effect from a long telephoto lens, they were quite a long way from the incident. Aside from myself, Steve/Animal and another guy there was nobody else around.

Woah, flicked through the pics. Cringed when an arm went outside the cage and that last photo is a mess... Flat packed single seater!