ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT question(s!)

RB182cup&golf gti
Decided to Sorn my 182 for the foreseeable as not using it at the moment. Tax and MOT both due this month. I've owned the car since new and have all the MOTs. Is it worth MOTing now to preserve the history, or sack it and MOT it when I next decide to start using it again? I take it you need a valid MOT for when you need to re tax the car, so I guess it may be worth MOTing for the hassle factor or will this not be an issue?
Also will sorning it and not having an MOT invalidate my insurance if the car was to get stolen from my property?

Cheers

172 Cup
if you do sorn it then do the MOT you cant remove it from the test station till its taxed iirc

The only time you can drive a car without tax is either to an MOT or from an MOT; without stopping off anywhere on the way. So getting it home shouldn't be a problem.

RB182cup&golf gti
Took car for a run today as tax runs out. Orange engine warning light lit up but drove absolutely fine. Is this likely to be an MOT fail as have the MOT booked next sat? I think it's because the car hasn't been driven for a while and possibly one of the sensors faulty but guessing.

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
My engine warning light was on for my MOT, turned out my CAT was kaput and I changed it after the MOT. Went through no issue but it will be an advisory

markerboy2002

ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
I got mine second hand from a friend for £50, he'd only covered 10,000 miles with it. Best place to look is eBay, not sure what the non standard ones are like

172 cup
What are the rules on steering wheels, I want to get a aftermarket one but I heard if the original has a airbag then it won't pass?

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
The only time you can drive a car without tax is either to an MOT or from an MOT; without stopping off anywhere on the way. So getting it home shouldn't be a problem.

Not true, you can drive a car to be Vehicle Identity Checked (a repaired CAT C write off for example) to and from a VOSA inspection centre without it being taxed (it has to have an appointment).

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Not true, you can drive a car to be Vehicle Identity Checked (a repaired CAT C write off for example) to and from a VOSA inspection centre without it being taxed (it has to have an appointment).

If we're being anal about it, yes. But the point is getting the car back home isn't a problem.

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
If we're being anal about it, yes. But the point is getting the car back home isn't a problem.

Sorry was not my intention to be anal, just trying to help ensure that the information given out is correct. My last couple of cars have been CAT C write offs which I have repaired and used as my daily drivers, so relevant in a way.

Last edited:
  RB182cup&golf gti
Lol just waiting while they're doing the MOT and heard one of the workers walk in and say is that the absolute minter to which the guy MOTing the car replied "yeah, 20k miles". Nice to hear nice comments about the car :) bet it bloody fails now!

RB182cup&golf gti
Car passed. Engine warning light was an oxygen sensor which they sorted for me so quite happy now! Guy said he wasn't bothered about the light being on as I was concerned it may be brought up on the MOT.
Car can now hibernate for winter as not taxing again until April.

markerboy2002

ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
good good, didn't think they'd pull you up for the light being on