ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mot? have i gotten a good price?

clio 5door sport rep
hey guys

first mot was due today

175 quid all in

include mot and service....

needed a new CV boot

emmisions were SKY high apparently...

and rear lights were fecked.... which have been fixed

thoughts?

BG V6, LY 182
ha funny iv just read this, iv just had mine in for its mot too.
Cats gone, something about both sensors need replacing?
Front and rear brake discs and pads.
I cant even remember what else he said....

Came back at £800-£1000 :| lets just say i sh!t myself and i dont know what to do now. :(

RB 182
ha funny iv just read this, iv just had mine in for its mot too.
Cats gone, something about both sensors need replacing?
Front and rear brake discs and pads.
I cant even remember what else he said....

Came back at £800-£1000 :| lets just say i sh!t myself and i dont know what to do now. :(

Probably quoted you for a genuine CAT. Get an aftermarket one or buy a used one.

I'd be weary about replacing the Cat at all TBH as it usually lasts as long as the car unless something else is causing the car to overfuel.

BG V6, LY 182
Probably quoted you for a genuine CAT. Get an aftermarket one or buy a used one.

I'd be weary about replacing the Cat at all TBH as it usually lasts as long as the car unless something else is causing the car to overfuel.

Guy said that was an aftermarket one... apparently a genuine one from renault is 2k?

What the fcuk do i do?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Spanish - A service is usually £100 or so. Then a £40 MOT, so you paid £35 to have a CV boot fitted. About right that

Yes youve got a fairly good deal,

MOTS are usually 35-50 quid, cv boot, 20 quid plus labour..

Depends what sort of service there doing, probably just a oil change and a coolant top up...

BG V6, LY 182
can anyone aswner my question? talk about hijacked lol

haha sorry dude :( Im just that fed up right now.

Well think about it... £50 for a mot. Service is about £80? so theres £130.
£45 for fixing your lights, new cv, playing with emmissons + there labour.
I wouldnt argue with that tbh.

Just think it could always be worse :(

Lotus Elise
Guy said that was an aftermarket one... apparently a genuine one from renault is 2k?

Find out whats actually wrong with it and post it all up.

spanishbhoy. Price is fine dont worry about it, you've already paid it.

clio 5door sport rep
haha sorry dude :( Im just that fed up right now.

Well think about it... £50 for a mot. Service is about £80? so theres £130.
£45 for fixing your lights, new cv, playing with emmissons + there labour.
I wouldnt argue with that tbh.

Just think it could always be worse :(
i feel your pain bro..... can u not take it somewhere else for a second opinion. or give him a bung for a dodgy mot lol

BG V6, LY 182
cheers guys.... relieved now

now back to the hijack ;)

i feel your pain bro..... can u not take it somewhere else for a second opinion. or give him a bung for a dodgy mot lol

I bloody wish i could. It runs like a dream too!!

Find out whats actually wrong with it and post it all up.

spanishbhoy. Price is fine dont worry about it, you've already paid it.

Will do, i'll ring first thing. He said both sensors need replacing, cat is gone. emmissions are meant to be 0.3? Mine were 9.2! Pads and disks.

Invexis-

Do the brake discs and pads yourself its a piece of piss,

Ask for a detailed version of whats wrong, look into a second hand cat on ebay about 120... ask which sensors are faulty...

i think theres 2 or 3 and they are around 70 each, not all of them can be fucked surely!!

Theres always a way round, if your the type of person the garage see's as not knowing a clue what hes doing they will just lump you with a bill, been had a few times when i wasn't educated on cars.

182cup & 172 racecar
Genuine cat is nearly 1k anyway,they don't very often go,but can rot slightly where it joins manifold,I would double check if I was you as if it's blowing slightly,it will send emissions sky high.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Aye - echo other replies - sounds like a solid deal that.

BG V6, LY 182
Invexis-

Do the brake discs and pads yourself its a piece of piss,

Ask for a detailed version of whats wrong, look into a second hand cat on ebay about 120... ask which sensors are faulty...

i think theres 2 or 3 and they are around 70 each, not all of them can be f**ked surely!!

Theres always a way round, if your the type of person the garage see's as not knowing a clue what hes doing they will just lump you with a bill, been had a few times when i wasn't educated on cars.

I'll ring him and ask for a list in the morning.

I think it's time to pay my membership again and look through the for sale section! I know he said before cat and after cat sensors were gone.

BG V6, LY 182
Genuine cat is nearly 1k anyway,they don't very often go,but can rot slightly where it joins manifold,I would double check if I was you as if it's blowing slightly,it will send emissions sky high.

I'v just had the joint between the maifold and the cat replaced cos it was blowing like a gale out of it.

I ask because bad MPG would potentially be a sign of runing very rich, which I think your car might be, or maybe your burning oil/coolant. I am guessing at things that would kill the CAT and both sensors

BG V6, LY 182
So i rang the garage this morning and got these results:

Exhaust emmissions Monoxide Fast idle high.
Hydrocarbon Excessive

Lambada Sensor fast idle outside of limits

Pads rear

Disks Front and back.

He also mentioned that the CAT had been welded to the rear box and the middle?

He suggests A new cat, New sensors x2, and a middle box?

Any suggestions would be greatful :(

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
So i rang the garage this morning and got these results:

Exhaust emmissions Monoxide Fast idle high.
Hydrocarbon Excessive

Lambada Sensor fast idle outside of limits
b

I think you have a vacuum leak, and they're not blocking the 2nd tailpipe on the exhaust to do the emissions test

BG V6, LY 182
I appreciate all the info people.

But what the hell do i do.

My options are:
1) Put some 'additives' in give the car a good run,then take it too a different mot place for a second opionion.

2) Bite the bullet and do what he says.

3) Trade it in this weekend and a more sensible car :(

It might be worth saying that it doesnt get used during the week, I have my work van for that. So i generally only use it friday night till sunday night, and have done for a good few month, and even then i don't do massive amount of miles.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I wouldn't do what he says considering he's telling you to change BOTH lambda sensors for the MOT. The second sensor doesn't do anything but control a light

Vacuum leak would be somewhere on the inlet manifold, possibly a damaged gasket or a split in a hose.

On the exhaust, as there are 2 tailpipes on a 182, you must block one to do the emissions test, or you measure air thats being sucked in by reversion pulses. This acts exactly like a hole in the exhaust system

BG V6, LY 182
I wouldn't do what he says considering he's telling you to change BOTH lambda sensors for the MOT. The second sensor doesn't do anything but control a light

Vacuum leak would be somewhere on the inlet manifold, possibly a damaged gasket or a split in a hose.

On the exhaust, as there are 2 tailpipes on a 182, you must block one to do the emissions test, or you measure air thats being sucked in by reversion pulses. This acts exactly like a hole in the exhaust system

The light had came on before, then went off, hasnt been on for a good two thousand miles.

I think im going to take it to a second garage for another opinion.

How good are these additives? If its been stood is it worth adding it in, going for a good run, then taking it to the garage?

I would explore what 519 has said and if this doesn't solve then look on here for a second hand cat I sold mine the other week for £50 and there are so many car's been broken/ getting de-catted i'm sure you will be able to get one easily! I would just go to try and find a local garage that will fit some brakes if you supply the parts and get the parts off here :)

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
An air/vacuum leak around the inlet will make the hydrocarbons go ballistic, had exactly the same issue with my E30 when it was MOT'd & that was caused by a knackered inlet manifold gasket.

Find the air leak by spraying brake cleaner around the inlet manifold area & if the engine revs itself up you've found it. Then you can figure out what's causing it then fix it ;)

RB 182
Had an air leak on my 106 on the inlet manifold and the emissions were of the scale. Oxygen sensor doesnt usually cause them to be out that much and i would have thought you would be having running issues too.