ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mot failure?

Ph2 172
Unsure quite what the regulations are regarding power steering at m.o.t time.
Ive taken my 172 in to Renault for its first m.o.t in my ownership and the out come was a Fail.

Now ive had a read through threads reguarding mot failure with reguards to power steering and have seen mixes awnsers as to whether it should fail or pass.
Im told that if the car left the factory with p/s is should be there and testable to pass mot.
What are my options: fit complete p/s setup?

The thing that really got to me is that they also failed a rear wheel bearing no more than a month after I purchased new rear discs from them. Then told me they wont warrent them as I fitted them myself.

Any testers able to shed some light on the situation

Darren

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Power steering isnt a fail. Its only if your steering isnt working properly (like bearings, etc). They are probably trying to skin you for more money.

Is you pas pump leaking...or dont you have one at all?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How have you removed the power steering? I don't mean this disrespectfully, but if it's been bodged with pipes/wires dangling around, then they'll fail it. If it's not there and there's no sign it was ever there (ie a complete delete!) then there's nothing they can do.

Ph2 172
This is exactly what I thought but have read a mix of diffrent opinions
As the car stands it has no p.a.s pump, the p .a.s system has been removed completely.
The mechanic side of the steering system is all in good working order. I.e no play in any track rod ends or steering arms.

Ph2 172
How have you removed the power steering? I don't mean this disrespectfully, but if it's been bodged with pipes/wires dangling around, then they'll fail it. If it's not there and there's no sign it was ever there (ie a complete delete!) then there's nothing they can do.
I totally understand were your coming from as I have witnessed some of these bodges my self, but in this case it has genuinely been removed with no traice of p.a.s ever existing

Mk2 Ph2 172
"Reason for rejection

Power steering malfunctioning or inoperative or evidence that power assistance has been removed or disconnected when it is known that power steering is standard on the vehicle."

Also there is this

"If power steering is optional fitment on the vehicle but has been disconnected in such a way that there is no adverse effect on the steering, that is not a Reason for Rejection. It may be necessary to verify this by road testing"

The mot guide contradicts itself slightly

Obviously you took it to Renault they would fail it. an Indy I doubt would fail it unless it was unsafe tbh !!!

If it was me testing it I would pass and advise just to cover my arse

Ph2 172
I think im going to have to take it else were and see what the out come is.
Im lead to believe that JUST MOTs dont charge for an mot unless it passes, so I figure if they want paying they will pass it.
Failing that im unsure what the next step will be.

Will be a shame if I have to refit the whole p.a.s as I reall quite like the feel of the car without it

Mental 172 Cup
What a load of bull..

I'm sure there will be some sort of loop hole where you can get away with it or you'll have to find a friendly MOT tester..

Ph2 172
im going to ask my local just mot's tomorrow, failing that ill be in touch.
any chance you could PM me your number so i can contact you and arrange to shoot up if need be

Thanks Darren

Mental 172 Cup
If you read my post above it should pass but with an advisory

Power steering was never an optional extra on a 1*2, it's basically going to be down to the discretion of the MOT tester on the day, if it was me, I would pass providing the rack wasn't leaking and all the other steering components are in good working order, I don't see that power steering is a safety feature of any kind, it's more of a Comfort and Convenience item. Which is why I think it's wrong to come into an MOT..

Lionel Richie
complain/appeal to VOSA, it'll soon pass!!

Reason for failure "its only got 1 seat" (track car, i'd love them to try that one!)

Clio 197
Given the definitions above as already said the issue is because it went to Renault - they will obviously be aware that it is standard on the vehicle. Take it to a trusted MOT place and you will be fine ;)

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
if its all done properly with no trace of it haveing power steering i would pass it and i work for renault if the pipes were there etc i might think differently.

p.s. wheel bearing thing is wrong as we have done stuff in work thats been done by other garages so its really the same thing