ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mot failed

Cliosport 172 cu
As above on a stupid one head light bulb how bad are these testers getting today if me I would of said I'll pass it but get it sorted for next one but least nothink major :)

Lol as above. only takes 1 min to check all your bulbs so why didn't you?

They can't just simply say they'll pass it, even though it's failed. They don't want to lose their job over something as little as that.

clio 182 FF
They could have put a new one in and added a fiver or so to your final bill, that would have been the easiest thing to do.

But as said, i reckon mot testers must get sick of people bringing cars in to test with blatantly obvious 2 minute fixes. 10 minutes it takes to check all bulbs and fluids before dropping it off.

Clio 172
As above, on one stupid head light bulb. How bad are these testers getting today? If it was me, I would of said I'll pass it, but get it sorted for the next one. At least is was nothing major :)

Correct your grammar and spelling so people can read what you meant to say! ;)

Also...Pay them the £2 it will be for a new bulb and they will issue you a pass certificate. Bulbs fall under the free retest category. They can stick one in for you or you can go get one and put it in and get it retested for free. :/ I cant see what the issue is. Blown bulb is an MOT fail, it has been for as long as have been alive. They cant just pass it and say get it fixed at your convenience because where would they draw the line, and what would the point of an MOT be if they sent every car out and told the owners to fix them before the next one?

Jack

172 Turbo
Correct your grammar and spelling so people can read what you meant to say! ;)

Also...Pay them the £2 it will be for a new bulb and they will issue you a pass certificate. Bulbs fall under the free retest category. They can stick one in for you or you can go get one and put it in and get it retested for free. :/ I cant see what the issue is. Blown bulb is an MOT fail, it has been for as long as have been alive. They cant just pass it and say get it fixed at your convenience because where would they draw the line, and what would the point of an MOT be if they sent every car out and told the owners to fix them before the next one?

Jack

They also don't know if the bulb has been out for months by the time of the test. Silly thing to fail on though.

Clio 172
They also don't know if the bulb has been out for months by the time of the test. Silly thing to fail on though.

I agree with the first half of this comment. But why is it a silly thing to fail on? Its meant to be working and it isn't...MOT fail. Case Closed. :/

Cliosport 172 cu
I did check all bulbs and every think that's y I was suprised it failed plus all other mots I've been if it's been small job they just say fix it

Cliosport 172 cu
There ain't a problem like but for one blown bulb I know lads who have been let off with more worse stuff than a bulb owell it's passed now so ain't to botherd

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I did check all bulbs and every think that's y I was suprised it failed plus all other mots I've been if it's been small job they just say fix it

they're not actually allowed to interfere with the car once the MOT has begun.
sometimes they do, but on the off chance mr VOSA is watching over their shoulder, it's not worth their grief for your problem.

glad to hear it's passed now.

edit: mis-read your post (im getting good at that lately).
blown bulb is a failure, it's deemed dangerous (the car could be mistaken for a motorbike at night), other 'non-dangerous' stuff will just go on an advisory with a fix it later.

Cliosport 172 cu
Mistaken for a motorbike they have gone mad I think now a days with all rules and regulations not just with cars like lol some times I do that miss read a post but still blown bulb guess just one of them things just wanted to see what ppl would put as I wasn't botherd it failed tbf

Clio 172
Mistaken for a motorbike they have gone mad I think now a days with all rules and regulations not just with cars like lol some times I do that miss read a post but still blown bulb guess just one of them things just wanted to see what ppl would put as I wasn't botherd it failed tbf

Mate, come on! Has the full stop key, Question mark and comma key stopped working for you or something?! :headno: People are miss reading your posts because of the serious lack of grammar! hahaha!

Jack

Cliosport 172 cu
Ha we don't need grammar in a thread like this. The thread ain't a letter of importance it's just a statement.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR

If you're bowling down a country lane at night, no street lights, and a single headlight is coming at you, especially if it's nearside, you don't expect it to be a clio (although after being on this forum a few years I should know better) you expect a motorbike.

clio 182 FF
If you're bowling down a country lane at night, no street lights, and a single headlight is coming at you, especially if it's nearside, you don't expect it to be a clio (although after being on this forum a few years I should know better) you expect a motorbike.

+1

Cliosport 172 cu
Lol yeah I get what you all saying as I've done mots in the past when I was learning mechanics but decided not to carry on and became an engineer in tool making and lath work I know my way round a car as I restored my old mk1 golf and do bits in a mates unit but I just think with some mot testers are to much to the book in some cases ok maybe with a bulb I understand what u saying but with lights on dash like say service an air bag light on a clio common problem we all know it's not major just wires under the passenger seat they fail you for that think they should be more leanent on things like that

Lol yeah I get what you all saying as I've done mots in the past when I was learning mechanics but decided not to carry on and became an engineer in tool making and lath work I know my way round a car as I restored my old mk1 golf and do bits in a mates unit but I just think with some mot testers are to much to the book in some cases ok maybe with a bulb I understand what u saying but with lights on dash like say service an air bag light on a clio common problem we all know it's not major just wires under the passenger seat they fail you for that think they should be more leanent on things like that

How would they know it's a common issue? You forget they see all sorts of cars, and unlikely frequent Cliosport to know it's a normal issue.

And tbh, the airbag light being on is quite a serious issue imo.

I get what you're saying and all, but imo I don't agree at all!

Megane 225 f1
I'm an m.o.t tester and if a car was presented to me with a headlight not working i would fail it. Most places have bulbs in stock so in that case i would do what is called a p.r.s which means i can do minor work whilst doing an m.o.t test. You will still get a fail sheet followed by a pass. Some places don't do this so you will just get a fail sheet.
Also if say for instance i tested a car and there was a problem, which at the time i didn't think was that bad and i told the customer to "get it sorted" and he/she didn't its my testers licence, job, family, mortgage and anything else on the line, i dont fancy doing that for anyone.

Please check for grammar/spelling :rasp:

Westfield, 182, 200
Had a Rover 827 many years ago (loved that car!), checked the lights (auto electrician by trade), they were all OK, car failed on no fog lights, checked it on the forecourt and they worked, was told it wasn't working at the time of the mot! Also failed on a split CV gaitpr, must've just split as there was fresh grease on the tyre-coincidence?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
As has been said, if they passed the car with an obvious defect like a bulb, and someone from the MoT came round and checked the car and found it, the garage would end up with a large fine..

172 Turbo
I agree with the first half of this comment. But why is it a silly thing to fail on? Its meant to be working and it isn't...MOT fail. Case Closed. :/

Exactly, a car should never be put in for an MOT with faulty bulbs, horn, number plates or washers.

I'm an mot tester id fail for a bulb not many people really care or know anything about cars
Why should I put my job on the line saying get it sorted when 90% of people won't get it done they've got a pas how do I know they will get it done
Honestly does my brain in people saying o just pass it mate it's only a bulb there usually I find the type of people no offence who dont actually help anyone eles out themselfs

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I'd fail you at life for using the word "nothink." By that I'd mean I'd have you euthanised at a local Dignitas.

WRX
I can't believe people expect testers to pass obvious faults-"Your exhaust is falling off, your brakes don't work and all four tyres are below 1.6 mate, I'll pass it but just get them changed as and when"
Why should the tester do it, when the owner couldn't be bothered?

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Another pointless thread by every mechanics favourite sort of customer. Idiot..... Your car didn't meet the legal standard, yet it's your god given right to a pass.

Cliosport 172 cu
Idiot mate I ain't moaning I'm just saying it's mad on one little thing. Mate I am a mechanic I do it on the side thank you very much I used to do mots in training so I know my way round that was 7 years ago and they did let people off with things like that if they knew you but now I work in a mates unit at a week end so please don't come with your nasty comments calling people idiots it was just a post that's all.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Idiot mate I ain't moaning I'm just saying it's mad on one little thing. Mate I am a mechanic I do it on the side thank you very much I used to do mots in training so I know my way round that was 7 years ago and they did let people off with things like that if they knew you but now I work in a mates unit at a week end so please don't come with your nasty comments calling people idiots it was just a post that's all.

Expecting a car with only one working headlight to pass an mot is an idiotic view point .

I used to have to get 30+ cars a month mot'd and not once would I expect a friendly nudge on something like a headlight! Lol.
Emissions for example; they won't kill anyone so I've had loads passed that shouldn't have, but a headlight is A) a rather large safety issue and. B) a reason for a coper to pull you over.

Your view point is baffling.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR

that just makes it even worse that you sent a car in with a failworthy fault!

Cliosport 172 cu
I checked all the bulbs or the levels and the day before all belts wheel bearings shafts I checked the lot the bulb must of blown when I got there which is what I'm saying is a bugger it's done now and can't understand why some people get up right about a post of me saying basically wish it would of passed but wasn't botherd as it only cost me £2 and a few minutes of my time done.