ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT FAIL rear shocks

clio 182 FF
Hi all,

My car was in for its mot today and it failed big time. Here is what it failed on:

Both rear shocks-excessive fluid leak
Both rear wheel bearings
And it also failed the emmisions test

The garage is doing me a quote and getting back to me tommorow afternoon. I can imagine its going to be a hefty bill.

It came as a shock cos i was sure it would pass. It runs spot on. No knocks, bangs etc...i had no idea it would need so much work.

the main thing im worried about is the emissions though. What would cause it to be over the acceptable level? As far as im aware the car dosnt have a decat pipe fitted.

My mate is a mechanic so i might get him to do the work if the garage is too expensive. Anyone know the best place to get the parts?

Lionel Richie
rear shocks - £45 each new from Renault (must be genuine, non genuine are too long and make the car handle crap!)
rear wheel bearings - £30 a side plus 1 hour labour, or new rear discs and pads £110 from Renault (come complete with bearing pressed in) plus 1 hour labour tops
emissions possible lambda (£60) plugs (£45) HT leads (£55) thermostat (£15 plus £10 coolant) all plus labour, about 30min each tops

clio 182 FF
rear shocks - £45 each new from Renault (must be genuine, non genuine are too long and make the car handle crap!)
rear wheel bearings - £30 a side plus 1 hour labour, or new rear discs and pads £110 from Renault (come complete with bearing pressed in) plus 1 hour labour tops
emissions possible lambda (£60) plugs (£45) HT leads (£55) thermostat (£15 plus £10 coolant) all plus labour, about 30min each tops

Thanks for the help!

Ive noticed my temperature gauge recently never gets above quarter from the bottom. Could this also be thermostat related?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Thanks for the help!

Ive noticed my temperature gauge recently never gets above quarter from the bottom. Could this also be thermostat related?

Yes sounds like the car never gets up to temp so runs rich all the time and hence your emissions fail. Could have contaminated the cat.

Do you have the print out, assume the HC is high.

I have 2 cup rear shocks, 3 years old you can have for the cost of postage if you want as I just want rid of them.

If I were you I'd start with a code read and if coolant sensor comes up replace that. If not change the stat.

Then just go for new rear discs and pads. As Fred says, already have the bearings pushed in.

Then free shocks or new ones.

I wouldn't expect to pay more than £250 to get it through with those things if you pay someone to sort it all

Thanks for the help!

Not only what's mentioned above but do you find it hits the limiter early?

It needs to be up to temp (half way) to give you the extra 1000 rpm.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Would be worth while becoming a member on here mate

Only £12 a year and will give you access to all the Traders sections and market place

There are two Renault dealers on here so I'm sure they'll be able to help out. It will pay for itself in no time

FF Racing Blue 182
Cheers g, I've just not got round to doing it recently.

I'd asked one of them and got told £28 for stat, cts was £27, just wanted to see prices on eBay. Will be buying them anyway !

clio 182 FF
Thanks for all the info.

G172, how much would i be looking at for the rear discs and pads including them little spacer washers and delivery?

Does anyone know if theres any traders on here were i can get all the other parts from? Rear shocks, thermostat etc.....

Thanks

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Thanks for all the info.

G172, how much would i be looking at for the rear discs and pads including them little spacer washers and delivery?

Does anyone know if theres any traders on here were i can get all the other parts from? Rear shocks, thermostat etc.....

Thanks

Banner_zps7cbcc6b8.jpg

clio 182 FF
Changed the rear dampers today for a set i got off grazo22 thanks mate

The drivers side one was in good condition but was a NON CUP one. The passanger side one was the right one but was covered in oil and was in a bad way.

So hopefully the car should handle a bit better now that it has a matching set of dampers that actually work.