ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Advisory : Play in steering rack inner joints

Ph2 Clio 172
What does this mean in terms of fixing? Expensive? Cheap? Easy to do myself?

I don't really have any idea where I would even look to see the inner steering rack joints?

Lionel Richie
about £40 in parts and a special tool required plus wheel alignment after, takes a pro about an hour

Ph2 Clio 172
So you'd have it done in 30 minutes then Fed ;)

Cheers for this. I'm thinking about polybushing it all so will see about getting this all done at the same time if it requires alignment and specific tools.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You will be amazed how much better your car drives after this is fixed, its one of the main things that makes these cars degrade handling wise with age.

Ph2 Clio 172
A 'spongy' feel to the steering is really all I'm unhappy with about the Clio at the moment. I was wondering what it could have been and then this popped up on the MOT and looked a likely candidate.

Ph2 Clio 172
Also Fred, do you have the part number(s)/descriptions for the bits needed for this? Cheers.

Any good garages around Guildford?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A 'spongy' feel to the steering is really all I'm unhappy with about the Clio at the moment. I was wondering what it could have been and then this popped up on the MOT and looked a likely candidate.

Makes it vague mate, totally loses all the sharpness.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Does the front end feel wobbly at higher speeds? Mine feels like the nose of the car is going from left to right a lot when over 70, had it checked and was told there was play in the steering rack bush, left one.

Ph2 Clio 172
Not wobbly as such, but just a bit loose in terms of the connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels. I didn't have time to get anything sorted before a track day yesterday and there was a lack in confidence in being able to precisely place the front end.

It sort of feels like the steering column has a slight bit of twist in it, meaning the front wheels can move a bit independently of where my hands tell them to go. Not much, but enough to notice. In a straight line it feels fine.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I left mine in with new wishbones, arb bushes, track rods & the rack bushes to replace all in 1 go...

the only thing they didnt fit was the rack bushes told me I didn't need them but I thought I did :S

What's the special tool needed?

Ph2 Clio 172
What part would the specifically mean when they refer to 'inner joints'? Rack mounts or inner track rod? Or something else?

Looking at part numbers from West here

Inner tie rods you'll need

There's a series of special tools you can buy to undo them as the nut for them is deep in the bay

8pcs-tie-rod-tool-kit-1836-aaronngu77-1202-07-aaronngu77@14.jpg

Or Fred has his own special tool (ooh-err) lol

The tie rods are about £20 each from GSF - but the tool is £40-60 so it's cheaper to just book your car in with a reputable garage and let them do the lot

Ph2 Clio 172
Yeah I am going to get it done at a garage, I just need to make sure I know what I'm asking them to fix :D

​Cheers guys.

Ph2 Clio 172
Thread revival as I am finally looking at getting this done. Getting some quotes from nearby garages (ones that have alignment machines). What should I be looking at for both inner track rods and wheel alignment? First quote back is £276, which seems a lot.

172 Ph1
That's why I did mine when I had engine out , I knew it would be a diff job later down the line.
I hope you get the right parts first time , I fitted genuine Renault parts 3rd time lucky for me , got told I have Megane arms because of part number I ended up having .
Any way good luck
5df46edf.jpg

Thread revival as I am finally looking at getting this done. Getting some quotes from nearby garages (ones that have alignment machines). What should I be looking at for both inner track rods and wheel alignment? First quote back is £276, which seems a lot.

Both inner arms - £40 ish.
Track rod ends - £40 ish.
Hunter alignment for geo - £60-80

so £160 + labour.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Talk to S&MWM in staines, at least they will do it properly, although I doubt they will be much cheaper.

Tool to do it yourself is only 40 quid or so, so worth considering as its not exactly a hard job, but depends how confident you are working on your car in the first place really.

Ph2 Clio 172
S&MWM are too far away for it to be convenient unfortunately, otherwise I would use them. The couple of garages I have quotes from I could walk too.

I have neither the skills or the confidence or the space to do it myself. I want the wheels aligned anyway so once you buy the tool and the parts yourself its not that much of a saving.

To be honest mate

Loosen wheel bolts, jack car up both sides, remove wheels, loosen TRE nuts, nip under car with a viscal spanner and crack the inner tie rod nuts loose, remove TRE nuts, remove whole track rod assembly. Fit new, tighten up, drive to garage and pay £60-80 for hunter setup - save £140-160 in labour

Do you know anyone local who could do it? If you were more local I'd pop over