ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

most for my money

RenaultSport clio 172 exc
i know this is probably a common question but what items would be best for me to buy to increase the power output on my clio 172 phase 1.

My mate has just got a bmw (pah!) and is being all smug at how fast it is, now i have no question in my mind that id beat him in a race as his driving is pish but have some spare cash (~£1k) so was thinking of using for car anyway so want the best power for money to wipe the smile of his smug face.

hehe

:rasp::rasp::rasp::rasp::rasp::rasp:

Lionel Richie
decat + full exhaust

coilovers

brakes

job done

unless you have serious cash (£3k+) i wouldn't bother touching the engine

so super chip and air filter not worth the dosh then?

i love my clio like but sometimes feel its a bit sluggish off the mark.

you seem to know your stuff though so ill take your advo.

Cheers

Ps what you recon of a 197bhp bmw 3 series vs a ph1 172

Lionel Richie
you can easily chuck £1K at the engine, but you won't see more than around 10bhp

not worth it IMO (and i own a renault tuning company, you'd think i'd be pushing you towards engine stuff, but i know what works!)

to see 200bhp (approx) its cira £1800

sort the suspension and brakes and you be as quick as a 200bhp car on stock suspension

also consider spending money on track days and improving your driving ability, after all, if you can't drive properly it doesn't matter how much power you have!

Best idea is to get it on a track day as engine tunning the 172 is't cost effective.
£1k though won't get you much intake manifold work, 182 exhaust manifold, decat induuction kit and remap but 185 or so not a huge gains however £200 on brakes and £700 on coilovers (assuming tyres are decinet anyway) would be much quicker on the corners than a few extra hp.

right this good advo cheers guys.

have been thinking about the coilover route anyway for a while so might save up some dosh and do the both maifold/de-cat with some new tyres and coilovers.

job done.

cheers