ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More Pooower

Fiesta ST-2
OK so I'm guessing standard 182's run about 175-180bhp?

So what gains am I likely to get with exhaust/filter/rs tuner?

Like about 7bhp for around £500?

How much extra does the highly priced ITG maxogen give?

Lionel Richie
save your money, sort the brakes out, spend the rest learning how to drive properly, no £300 airfilter is going to make a huge difference

Mk2 172
save your money, sort the brakes out, spend the rest learning how to drive properly, no £300 airfilter is going to make a huge difference

U took the words outta my mouth.
5-10bhp will get u 2- 3car lengths in a straight line where as good brakes will let u brake 5+ car lengths later, give u more confidence and will work for longer with ALOT less fade!
Think about it that way

Last edited:
  PH1 172 Sport
As above, though I would recommend matched inlets and a remap as it gives you gains lower down the rev range which helps with everyday drivability.

Fiesta ST-2

Dont worry I'm stupid but I'm not that stupid! Was just curious that's all to find out if they actually work out more bhp per pound.

The standard brakes seem fine for road use but being a trackday virgin I'm guessing they could be better then.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Dont worry I'm stupid but I'm not that stupid! Was just curious that's all to find out if they actually work out more bhp per pound.

The standard brakes seem fine for road use but being a trackday virgin I'm guessing they could be better then.

it's only really the pads that need upgrading to assist fade. some may recommend 4 pots, but they are totally unnecessary imo

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Money on the power is wasted on the clio's.

You can argue it's all a waste of money, as none of it will make the car worth anymore. If you enjoy the car though, then I dont see any of it as a waste of money. Sure, some things are more cost effective than others though.

lines help too, but yes i agree 4pots not needed, they look cool though!

If I ever buy 4 pots it will be purely to look cool in the eyes of fellow Clio enthusiasts! lol

Italian 3.2 V6
These mods..
-ktec zorst system
-ktec pannel filter
-no back seats etc (-30-40kg)

and have spent around £350 on the above mods which got me to 15.3@90mph, before these mods I got 15.6@86mph..

M2 Competition
Lol, 0.3 of a second. Which could very easily have been down to more experience on the strip. A better reaction time. Or the 40kg weight loss.

Not something you'd notice on the roads, i think thats point proven ;)

From experience you can spend megabucks, and end up with a car running similar power to someone elses factory standard model due to the variances in these engines.

But, if engine tuning makes you happy, go for it :D life is about happiness.

You can argue it's all a waste of money, as none of it will make the car worth anymore. If you enjoy the car though, then I dont see any of it as a waste of money. Sure, some things are more cost effective than others though.

If I ever buy 4 pots it will be purely to look cool in the eyes of fellow Clio enthusiasts! lol

I disagree on the 4 pots it depends on how many trackdays you do and whether you want to save money in the long run.

Maybe I just can't drive but I prefer to have brakes I can rely on everytime and have 4 pots gives me that.

If I was just boosting up and down a dual carrigeway then it wouldn't matter

;)

Fiesta ST-2
These mods..
-ktec zorst system
-ktec pannel filter
-no back seats etc (-30-40kg)

and have spent around £350 on the above mods which got me to 15.3@90mph, before these mods I got 15.6@86mph..

Panel filter went in last night.
Zorst will be done when the standard one eventually falls off and will be replaced by something a little bit louder.
Springs done next month.
RS tuner soon after.

Not going to throw anymore money on it performance wise because IMO it wont be worth it.

ITB'd MK1
I disagree on the 4 pots it depends on how many trackdays you do and whether you want to save money in the long run.

Maybe I just can't drive but I prefer to have brakes I can rely on everytime and have 4 pots gives me that.

If I was just boosting up and down a dual carrigeway then it wouldn't matter

;)

so who was faster round Bedford then? ;) with a passenger....and pagid blues :dead:

FWIW I like 4-pots, but it has to be a pretty modded car driven pretty hard. I do like the fact they give more even disc wear also

Ph2 1.6 16v
I have no intention of ever doing track days or busting speed limits. Anything I would ever do to cars in the future would be getting me from 0-70, 30-70 quicker. Thats all I care about.

Italian 3.2 V6
pannel filter/exhaust system/matched inlets/custom remap are prob the four things bang for buck with 1*2 tbh.. thats as far as im going unless i have plenty of spare cash then maby cams... but thats it..

but i do agree, better brakes/tyres/suspension will get you around a track alot faster than just spending money on the above bhp mods and keeping stock brakes/tyres/suspension...

plus uprading the chassis is alot safer!!

SQ5
Engine wise, I'm basically standard and have spent no more than £400. Matched Inlets, Ph1 box with ITG filter, Decat, exhaust. I've spent nearly £1000 on brakes and suspension FK Konigsports, Brembo HC discs, Ferodo DS2500's, Standard Rear brake setup. And spent nothing on removing all the rear seats, trim, spare wheel. I did have buckets aswell which took around 30kg away, but have standards back for now.

There is no point trying to make it quicker in a straight line, you won't notice much difference at all, you need to have less weight and more power to make the difference, but even then, its not majorly different. I raced Dan (Greeny 172) at the weekend, he's about 10bhp up on mine, think torque is the same ish, cannot remember. but weight I weighed around 10/15kg less, acceleration I had him (because its a Ph-Quick ;)) but after 40mph we were dead even!

You need to go big if you want to make it quicker!

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
on track is one thing..... and back in the everyday world you may want more power to improve overtaking, or to accelerate faster down the motorway sliproad...

I have said this time and time again.......

if YOU want to go faster then buy engine mods, if you want to be faster round a track then there are LOTS of ways (inc Fred excellent suggestion) of driving tuition.

Andy

Ph1
Thank god for post number 23.

Its well worth modding the Clio to go faster. You only fail when you spend s**t loads on the wrong mods..

End of the day we dont all do track days.

If you want more power and are not bothered about track, buy a faster car.

Brakes, suspension, skill are all more important. The Clio is not about high power, and will cost thousands to get it. If you want gains, buy a turbo car and knock yourself out driving like a prick on public roads.

Ph1

Brakes, suspension, skill are all more important. The Clio is not about high power, and will cost thousands to get it. If you want gains, buy a turbo car and knock yourself out driving like a prick on public roads.

Yes on a track. No good on the road unless its the battle of the brave, or stupid. Anyone can point and squirt on a road. To out doo someone on the road you need to be pushing well above the limits plus its not so much skill its other obstacles too.

For 2 to 3k you can build a Clio that can fight WELL above its weight!

M2 Competition
Yes on a track. No good on the road unless its the battle of the brave, or stupid. Anyone can point and squirt on a road. To out doo someone on the road you need to be pushing well above the limits plus its not so much skill its other obstacles too.

For 2 to 3k you can build a Clio that can fight WELL above its weight!

What?! Not at all, theres no need to push and drive daft to be faster on the road due to skill. If anything it will make you safer. Smoothness is the name of the game.

Whereas trying to make your car 'faster', and not being bothered about the other bits suggests that safety and skill arent a priority.

If you dont have enough power to overtake safely, or accelerate down the motorway sliproad in a 2.0 clio, the Dsa will gladly take you back for some more driving lessons ;)

Ph1
What?! Not at all, theres no need to push and drive daft to be faster on the road due to skill. If anything it will make you safer. Smoothness is the name of the game.

Whereas trying to make your car 'faster', and not being bothered about the other bits suggests that safety and skill arent a priority.

If you dont have enough power to overtake safely, or accelerate down the motorway sliproad in a 2.0 clio, the Dsa will gladly take you back for some more driving lessons ;)

You forgot to say ''no point in having a fancy car for the road when a nice 1.2 will do 70''..innit :rasp:;)

Ph1
As much fun as you can have under the speed limit naturally :eek:

Nah seriously racing aint my thing. Built the car to bring it up to modern hot hatch standards and for overtaking ability with the odd quarter mile thrown in for good measure.
Would never have the balls to track it.

Back on topic, imo its worth modding the 172 / 182's but from experience better to spend a large amount on a proper gain rather than spending silly little amounts for zero difference. Good place to start is weight reduction tho

Ph2 1.6 16v

Alot of people would if they could.

The want to get a few extra horses on the road is not about dick measurements with other drivers its about personal driving benefits of fewer gear changes and better acceleration which is a good feeling.

Having a car that gets me up to 70 or 40-70 quicker than it did when I first bought it is enough to float my boat. I'm just different and in no way a "battler on the street" as you put it. (innit)