ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More newbie advice needed!

172 Cup
Hello everyone,

First post and all that - hopefully wont annoy too many people as im sure you get similar posts to this regularly but ill get down to details anyway.

Been looking at getting a 172 Cup over the last few months, after borrowing a mates for a weekend, i used to run 205 GTI's a few years ago (although ive got a shed at the moment!) and its the closest thing ive found to the old 205.

My mates is now up for grabs and ive been offered it at a decent price, i know hes driven it fairly hard occasionally and its been on 3 trackdays but hes a very smooth driver and i know he looks after it regardless of cost.

Just wanted to clear a few things up with it really as you all on here have more experiance than me!

MOT - its got 9 months left: it failed the last one initially on the rear brakes, he says this is regular problem and theyve since been fitted with goodridge hoses and flushed through with 5.1. Sound about right?

also took the 2nd attempt on the fast idle lamda immisions, and even then it was right on the limit? Sign of problems in the future?

Clutch - bite point seems pretty high but certainly no sign of slippage, is this normal or a sign that its on its way out?

Its had a few tasteful mods (other than the red calipers :eek:):

Ktec Stealth Exhaust
Ktec F&R Strut braces
Goodridge Hoses
Uprated discs and pads
Eibach lowering springs
also had a ECU remap by a company i forget the name of - G something

All proper services have been done, including the major 5year cambelt one (2 months ago) and its only been run on the best oils and fuel.

Been for a good drive in it, no sign of the engine mount knock and it tracks very well under heavy braking. Ive know him since he had the car and hes got the initial HPI and allignment checks that were carried out before he purchased it so its unlikely its ever been hit.

Also includes a set of Ph1 172 15" Renault/Oz Wheels shod with 1 day old toyo proxy 888's which ill probably sell as i wont be tracking it.

Anything obvious ive missed? Should i buy! Its done 56k - dont really want to disclose what idbe paying but its between 4 and 5k.

Oh and a few quick pics!

DSCF2103.jpg

DSCF2104.jpg

DSCF2105.jpg

DSCF2106.jpg

DSCF2107.jpg

Rear brakes are normal, were set low from the factory, testing station should have been isued an advisory note from VOSA about it.
Emissions may be down to the exhaust.
Biting points on all clio's are quite high.

Looks like a no bad car your planning on getting.

Rear brakes are normal, were set low from the factory, testing station should have been isued an advisory note from VOSA about it.
Emissions may be down to the exhaust.
Biting points on all clio's are quite high.

Looks like a no bad car your planning on getting.

What he said

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
IF its been cared for it should run for ever, only if its been neglected should you start to see problems.

Looks nice!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique+
yup as above.

Looks like a good buy, i'd get rid of wheels and calipers tho if it were me :)