ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mongoose Exhaust

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

Anyone know if theyre good? Im thinking of getting a full system with De-Cat pipe, i know someone whos selling one for £170 - its not been on the car a year yet - i was going to offer £140, how much should i pay for someone to fit it????

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

About £40 to fit I reckon. Make sure your car is ok to fit a de-cat else itll fail its MOT.

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

No ill just put the Cat back on for the MOT, a "friend" quoted me £60 to fit it.....

Ive got a mongoose s/s and de cat on mine and I love it!! ***King loud and with a good induction frees the revs up lovely.

Its was only £279 (Motor-mania) new so £170 is a lot for second hand one.

Anyway, fit it yourself, its 4 bolts with a de-cat!!

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

Is it easy to do then???

I was thinking of offering more like £140 - do you think thats good??

Ive been quoted £60 to fit it by a "mate" but i thought that was a lot?!?

ive also got a mongoose full system (inc cat by-pass) on my phase 1 16v.

Does anyone find they dont fit too well. Mine knocks like mad on the rear beam and also is very tight between chassis rail and fuel tank gaurd.

middle hanger also seems too big. cant get mine to seal properly either.

What about you lot???

They all knock at the back!!

I used a plumbers mat and carpet underlay to make a sound deading plate wrap thingy. Works a treat.

Can beat a proper fudge ;-)

my powerflow knocks on idle or at low revs. at high revs it doesnt or I just cant hear it cuz the zorsts so loud.

So underlay works???

I may just go back to Powerflow and ask them to somehow sort it - lifetime warranty and all

silver valver/hybrid

i have a scorpian cat-back exhaust, and when it gets hot it starts knocking like a b*tch, i figure the heat is making the rubber mounts soft, i have heard that you can get harder compound rubber, to replace them with.

Er...dont count on the cat re-fitting being a piece of piss. Apparently its very difficult and is something to do with bolts seizing and the like!

To stop it knocking wrap the plumbers mat around the knocking part of pipe (for heat proofing) and then wrap the carpet uerlay over this, to form a padded layer.

The cat easy as long as use use new bolts each time!!

To stop it knocking wrap the plumbers mat around the knocking part of pipe (for heat proofing) and then wrap the carpet uerlay over this, to form a padded layer.

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

How do you know where it is Knocking? I got the system fitted on Sunday, its fine when cold but after a couple of minutes starts knocking quite badly - i cant tell where its knocking though??

I dont have an exhaust fitted yet, well i do but not a performance one. It was knocking quite badly, so i put it up on the ramps had a look underneath and it was one of those rubbery things that hold the back box in place. I gave it a prod and it all came apart in my face. So after a full dictionary of chockingly swearing and splutering i went down to one of the local garages. He gave me a new rubbery thing free. I fitted it and it fixed the problem. Sooooo my suggestion is either check that or.... When you are under the car look at the exhaust, on mine it has the back box then goes straigt (i think) then bends to the right. That bend and the back box are close to variouse parts of the car. So you if you pad those areas you should be ok. But please remember not to pad the actual exhaust, or you may have a fire under your car.

paul

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

I might have to have a look then! Where can you get the rubber parts from? Would Halfords or some where like that sell them? I take it theyre not Car Specific?

Computers doing funny things?!?

Only hit add once ....

anyway, it normally knocks as it passes over the top of the back "axle" gubbings. Ive found the noise often travels along the passanger side of the car to the front so people think the noise is from further up.

Just get the rubbers from an exhurst fitting center (not ***K-fit if you can help it) for all of £1 a handful!!

Just had an ashley system fitted yesterday and the guy who did it said it was a pain getting it too fit and said id have a bit of rattling, but its fine!
He said itll get louder in a week or so aswell which is scarey but great! ( loud as fcuk now!)

sorry forgot my point: the system was only £120 and although not s/s still great value compared with second hand for £170. Just another option!

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

Yeah but Stainless Steel Lasts Forever - and Mongoose are apparently the best for Power Gains..... Think of all those people who pay £300 for a new one! Mine was only 5 months old, and the guy showed me the receipt to prove it....

Just fitted a Scorpion CAT back on my 172. Sounds nice maybe a bit too loud (must be gettign old ). It fitted lovely with no problems or knocking.

Chun.

Surely if you lined the underneath of your car it would be better. Not easier, but better? Am i wrong on this, probably am.

paul

ps then again a nice rattle would give a rally feel.