ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Money burning a hole in my pocket...

Right, so far I either have, or am getiing this month a 172 spoiler, dynamique alloys, eibach pro's, OMP strut brace, Painted engine cover, ph2 seats and ph2 rear lights.

What would you buy next? upto about £100.

Also out of that lot, what needs declaring? I have alloys, suspension and spoiler delcared, would you declare any of the other bits?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Fromt the list:

I would declare

- alloys
- spoiler
- eibach pro springs?
- strut brace deff
- possibly interior
- exhaust

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
no offence or anything mate but why keep wasting your money on that 1.6 when you could just buy a 172 sport, would probably be the same insurance as having all that crap declared!

Daz_172 said:
no offence or anything mate but why keep wasting your money on that 1.6 when you could just buy a 172 sport, would probably be the same insurance as having all that crap declared!
A bit harsh there pal. It's not exactly crap that he is adding to his car. Maybe he likes his RXE and can't afford to buy or run a 172. Duckeatspork: Go for Eibach Sportlines, the Pros only drop the car around 20mm. But then again try getting a set of Sportlines at the moment! As for wheels Turinis or original Mk2 Ph.1 172 alloys there was a cheap pair on ebay at the moment (i think)

Chocolate Bar™
Daz_172 said:

why do people buy 172s and mod them when they could have saved up and bought a cupra or a CTR? not everyone needs to follow the crowd.

If i was you mate, i'd get those white willy wheels you were on bout getting would look proper nice :)

why spend hundreds/thousands on an old car? save your money and buy a nice 172, cheaper in the short and long term.

Clio Mk2 DCI 68
The guy probably enjoys modding his car and feeling the benefits of every new part added. Sometimes money is just not part of the equation.

Chocolate Bar™
so you shouldnt spend money on say a renault 5 gtt or something similar? not everyone can afford a 172, and not everybody would want too

Daz_172 said:

bit strong there ah kid....... many ppl cant afford to that in one go . it is easy to spend a little at a time .:(

Clio Mk2 DCI 68
Middo said:
so you shouldnt spend money on say a renault 5 gtt or something similar? not everyone can afford a 172, and not everybody would want too
True, I have had many sporty cars but have settled for a 1.2 16v because they are cheap and it gives me money for other stuff that I would probably not have runnibg a 172-nice as they are though!

Daz_172 said:

You may not have noticed/realised, but most of those mods will straight onto a mk2 ph1 172, the car I will upgrade to when I change. The alloys I bought ebcause they wehere cheap, had new tyres and actually worked out cheaper than buying the tyres! I'd love to have a 172, but atm insurance alone would cripple me (£2200) The mods I have done and declared thus fa (the exhaust ebing one I have declared, just forgot to say that earlier) have added next to nothing to my nice low premium.

In conclusion thanks for you so very helpfull post ;)

trailerparktrev - i'm sticking with the pro's as I already have them and as for wheels, i think i'll get these ones refurbed white or get williams wheels in white

Middo - Even with selling my alloys, which need refurbing, I dont think I'll have enough for those wheels.

Any other ideas as I to add to the car rather than changing wheels etc.

Chocolate Bar™
lol i always find money somewhere *coughs* student loan *coughs*

seriously i white refurb sounds good, white always looks nice against blue

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Daz_172 said:

Harsh but agree........

EVOgone please read the entire thread before posting! I have already said how ridiculous the insurance is on a 172, even with the mods I am paying £800 a year, a 172 is £2200, plus the extra on my loan, your talking about an extra £200 a month out goings, and I dont want to spend that on a car.

Clio 172 mk2
Middo said:
why do people buy 172s and mod them when they could have saved up and bought a cupra or a CTR? not everyone needs to follow the crowd.

If i was you mate, i'd get those white willy wheels you were on bout getting would look proper nice :)

Because some of us 172 owners don't aspire to owning CTRs or Cupras...I could have brought either but chose not to.

EVOgone said:
Harsh but agree........

Its not harsh at all, i could have easily said worse, its a simple fact of life, modded cars dont sell, they cost more to insure and lose money, all the money your spending on your 1.6 you could be putting toward a 172, its that simple mate.

I know its nice to mod your car abit ive been there, ive modded my 172 a touch but only mechanically,i dont intend on spending loads on it because i want either a 182 or corsa VXR, but the point is if i go and spend s**t loads on my 172 i wont get that money back when i come to sell it!.

You interpreted my reponse the wrong way, was not meant to be threatening or offensive, but surely you see what im saying?.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
hmmm interesting.

I see all ur points from "both" sides.

But i can say i got my 1.2 3 years ago now... no way i could afford a 172 then or the little matter of insurance.

So over the years i have modded the car.

Yes i now have suitable NCD etc to be able to insure a Willy (£550) or a new 182 (£650) now... but i still cant afford the car!!!

The maintenance cost on a 172/182 would kill me....

I get more mpg out of my 1.2 16v then i ever wud from somethign bigger.

I know i wont get any money back on modding the 1.2, but its the satisfaction of doing something? and having something unique.

In turn my cost of keeping the motor is still pretty low, where as with something larger i cud not afford to do anything to it......

Yes i could have chosen not to mod my car saved all my money (doubt it would have been saved anyways) and been driving a standard 172 by now, which no one would even bother to give a 2nd look at??

Golf GTI PP Mk7
modded cars can sell, they can even up the value, but its gotta be tasteful. All i did to my MK2ph1 was add phase 2 rear clusters and 172 alloys, the car looks much tidier and has sold for £50 more than i paid for it a year ago, with 25000 miles more on the clock. Mods that plummet value are: Wheels that dont looks standard, lexus clusters, most body kits. bascially once ur car 'looks modded' then the value drops.

i see what your saying, but my mods will either fit a 172, or are desireable and will sell on for little to no loss as they are all s/h to start with. so yes i could out this money towards a 172 but i'm not. i'm putting the money it would cost to buy a 172 towards this car and buying a flat.

Clio 172 mk2
lewisniven said:
modded cars can sell, they can even up the value, but its gotta be tasteful. All i did to my MK2ph1 was add phase 2 rear clusters and 172 alloys, the car looks much tidier and has sold for £50 more than i paid for it a year ago, with 25000 miles more on the clock. Mods that plummet value are: Wheels that dont looks standard, lexus clusters, most body kits. bascially once ur car 'looks modded' then the value drops.

I do agree

I am interested in improving the car mechanically with mods that are subtle...in other words a decent exhaust, panel, brakes/pads...stuff that is going to improve the drive of the car but not turn it into a s**tbox

going back on topic, i'm either refurbing my wheels white or getting a green dynatwist. yes they are both over the budget but nevermind!

theduckeatspork said:
going back on topic, i'm either refurbing my wheels white or getting a green dynatwist. yes they are both over the budget but nevermind!
You got any pics of your car mate?? Wouldn't mind taking a look.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Daz_172 said:

Why Bother eating breakfast and lunch? Why not just save up all your food from throughout the day, and eat it all before you go to bed?!

Seriously though, if everyone thought that, we'd all save our money and be driving ferarris!!

Chocolate Bar™
Neil G said:
Because some of us 172 owners don't aspire to owning CTRs or Cupras...I could have brought either but chose not to.

dont think anyone could argue that cupras or ctrs are better cars than the 172, build quality and reliability etc. you could go on forever saying your not gonna modify this and that, and saving money but u'd go on forever and end up buying an enzo cos theres no cars left. I have nothing against owning a 172 i just dont see the point in driving a completly standard 172 that my mum would drive, when i cant afford insurance for a start and a modifed 1.2 can look just as nice. At the end of the day you can only do the speed limit anyway.

thats why i dont agree when people say you shouldnt modify your car.

This is with just the exhaust, 172 spoiler and dynamique alloys. The rest is going on soon.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I think a double optic headlamp conversion should be next on your list. I did it when I owned my 1.6 Si, the first versions (like I had) came with single optic headlamps. Makes the car look so much better.

I'm unsure if i like the dual optics that much, and they cost far more money then I would be willing to pay unless I really loved them, so headlights staying as they are.

Chocolate Bar™
looks nice and clean. Iw ouldnt over do it too much, i think colour coding will make the biggest difference, but your getting that done so alls good :)

yeah externally the only mods left to go on from those pics are:-

Ph2 lights (wednesday)

Refurb Alloys ion white (this month)

Eibach Pro's (not sure how much it'll lower it but never mind - sunday)

Colour coded bumper and side strips, handles and rear boot lock.

After that, and the other bits i'm getting, it'll just be induction kit and finish the interior. Scary thing is it means I'm almost finished...

Atlantis Blue 1.2 Corsa B
solution to losing money : keep original parts and put them on to asell, thus enabling one owner to sell the aftermarket bits seperately and get more for the car.

I swear i paid around 60 odd quid each for the headlamps back in 1999 and then the single optics sat around in my garage until 2005 until I sold them on ebay for 35 quid each, so you'll get some money back. Pretty easy to wire up too.

newshoot4.jpg

they tend to go for around £75-100 for a pair ( i think its a pair anyway) but I just dont think they look that much better, only reason I'd do it would be if they where cheap or I had nothing left to do and I really wanted to spend more and that would only be because they give better light