ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Monaco Blue 172s...

I've been after one for a while now and have finally got my car how I want it and can now sell it, been looking around on pistonheads, auto trader and ebay and seen a few nice ones but dealers seem to have them at ridiculous prices! I went to see one today which looked like a minter on the ad but it seemed to just have an endless list of things that weren't right/needed doing etc

Was just wondering what everyone else though about them, are there any decent Monaco blues out there still or am I just setting my hopes to high of finding an absolute minter (with them being 5-9 years old now) should I just accept im going to get things wrong with them and just buy whichever?!

thoughts are appreciated, Thanks

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Unlikely to find a minter without paying over the odds. They're all a minimum of 5 years old. I bought my Monaco in November, luckily found a decent deal after a couple of months of looking and going to see quite a few clios. I was just lucky the best clio I saw was a Monaco. A couple of stone chips on the bonnet and sides, and a couple of small scuffs you can only see when its just been washed but most should be fixed easily.

Go and see as many as you can, whatever colour, and then you'll be able to see what the standards are like for that age and then you'll know when you see a good one. I saw an absolute mint Silver 172 and I very nearly bought, but I changed my mind. I'm so glad I did because I saved over a grand on my Monaco. The marks are barely noticeable and shouldn't be noticeable at all after I've seen to them in a couple of weeks. Also, keep pushing the price down on ones you see, will give you some practice at haggling and also see how low sellers are prepared to go in the current market. I've been looking on Autotrader and PH recently and there seems to be a lot of overpriced 172s. I got £400 off my car, a fresh MOT and 3 months warranty.

i bought the first one i saw - and it happened to be monaco.

found it on gumtree, viewed it, bartered with the guy re a few small things - and left a deposit. Got it at such a good price i can afford to do the minor things needing sorted (trolley ding namely)

keep looking! or for the right price.....buy mine off me!

B

Bucko

^^^^^ Same here, i bought mine knowing virtually nothing about the Clio Sports, i saw it and i loved it. I don't think i would've bought it had it not been monaco....and a bargain.

I was never expecting a mint car when buying a 6 year old french car

Never above 25mpg
Mine was the first I saw! Was originally looking at Leon Cupras but this thing just stood out!! VERY tidy condition and despite having a high mileage (70k) at the time for a 2004 car I just wanted it outright.
Had a look at an 02 plate Monaco in physically better condition but mechanically it was worse.
Both cars had full service history but the 02 plate was more than my 53 plate so I bit the bullet and got the higher mileage car and tbh I've been happy with it ever since!

my car had 42k on it when i bought it, prev owner had spent over 6 months looking and test driving 172s before purchasing it - so i knew it wasnt a heap of scrap, felt very tight on test drive, wanted it - and that was that. :)

It's A Reno
I've got a minter, but it aint for sale. :approve:

Generally, to get a good 'un, it's a matter of looking at as many as possible, and it will be out there.
It can take time though I'm afraid.

Alternatively, get one with a few blemishes, and spend the summer tidying it up.

'53 172 Cup
If you're looking for a Monaco... I'd recommend going for the Cup... I got one amonth or so ago and am absolutely loving it!!! Is a gorgeous colour though...

Go for it!!

Does it have to be a monaco 172?

Whats the budget fella?

Yeh, always wanted a monaco! Awesome colour :approve: and £4500 is max

Thanks for all the input, i've seen one at a dealers which seems alright, could do with knowing if it's had cambelt/aux belt done though as it's up for quite alot... good thing about dealers is I can P/X mine in which kills 2 birds with 1 stone :)

E87 118d M Sport
cant fault mine at all. (if you ignore the dodgy cold idle and the rattles which are standard lol) never had any problems other than a damn spark plug, and just sailed through the MOT last week. she'll be 6 this september i cant complain at all! 57k on the clock btw.

i think if you look hard enough and be patient you will find one. for just under 5k i reakon you could get a minter (imo)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
When I was looking even last year there were lots of decent monacos for under 4.5k mate. Pistonheads had quite a few. Might just be a quiet time.

i got mine for under your budget - needs belts doing, and a blemish sorted, and that was it. guy had it priced accordingly, and i knocked him down a bit. luck of the draw whether you find a good one or not - but dont give up

RS 172
Everyone would rather have a Monaco... its the best colour! ;-)

Got mine with 70k on the clock for £2500. I looked at 2 or 3 different ones. This one needed belts, but still worth it.

Elise S1 B&C 140
Bought mine 2 years ago for £6k with 30,000 miles on the clock. Now on 57,000 and almost 6 years old. Touch wood never had a single problem, and apart from showing up the dust it is the best colour in the range - Love it

172 Cup
Mine was the 1st one i see, test drove an left a deposit, didnt have a clue about Renault Sports. By far the best colour when clean, however within a few miles its dusty again lol. 4.5k would get you a peach of a 172.