ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mods for 197

Black 197
Hey all, as some may know i had a little test drive in a 197 earlier this week and even though i wasnt initially impressed the second drive the next day blew me away so i decided to buy it and will be picking it up on wednesday this week

I dont want to go down the route of lowering or anything like that but i was contemplating on an ITG fiter and maybe a remap ?

Whats your views

Clio 197 08
I recall you saying cup spoiler and thats all in the Standard vs Modified thread!! Lol! I am looking at similar mods for my 197, want ITG panel filter, yozza stealth exhaust and a remap! Also want to change the front light units to Xenons!

Black 197
Just spoke to Renault, Car and spoiler is at bodyshop to be sprayed and fitted, damn Bank holiday weekend will slow it down i bet, Dealer says he hopes it'll be done on Wednesday if not Thursday !, I doubt it'll take say Tuesday and Wednesday day time to spray and fit a spoiler will it ?? Im not clued up on spraying time frames but surely it cant take 2 days can it ?

Clio 197 08
No i wouldnt imagine i would take two full days! They should be able to spray it all Tuesday and fit it Wednesday morning first thing!

Clio 197 08
Lol, your lucky, i had to wait 8weeks from ordering mine! So had you thought about an exhaust? Any cosmetic ideas you thinking about?

Was a 197
do all mods before remap as the remap will be able to reflect your mods and make the best of them

Cosmestically, not much needed to be done if u ask me, xenons maybe

Black 197
do all mods before remap as the remap will be able to reflect your mods and make the best of them

Cosmestically, not much needed to be done if u ask me, xenons maybe

Yeah will do mate, Gonna get the cup spoiler fitted then i'll order the cup skirts and front spoiler before any engine work, TBH i aint going to go mad as the GF will prob have my ba*ls for it

Clio 197 08
Yer there isnt a load i would want to do just always been kicking myself that i didnt get the Xenon lights when i ordered mine! Have also since changed my wheels to anthracite and now thinking of painting calipers red! Should of got the cup pack!!

Was a 197
cup pack would've been worth it as then u aint gotta touch the suspension. IMO the spoiler pack is a bit OTT, but as you got the spoiler might as well get the rest!

Clio 197 08
Would never touch my suspension on the 197, wouldnt want to compromise the handling! Standard set up is superb!

White clique
what year is it again? First thing you want to check if its 57 or older is that is has the standard Renault ECU remap that was issued to resolve some cold start problems, and this also increases low end torque, you'll notice the difference. Ask them to look up actis solution 7103 and ask if its been loaded on to your car.

Black 197
Cheers alan, Cars a 57 plate if that makes a diference with wether its had the update or not ? I did ask the dealer and he was unaware that the map exists lol

Clio 197 08
A lot of dealers dont know about this apparently, wasnt aware it improved low end torque so i havent had it done yet! Although mine is an 08 so not sure whether it should have been done!

Black 197
I doubt the Renault monkey will know too tbh, Bit dimwitted at my local stealer

Hows this : - 2 years ago my aux belt snapped on my 04 182 with 20k on the clock, Cambelt slipped and mashed the head, 6 weeks without car i got a call one day saying its ready to be picked up, collected car and over every bump i heard a knocking, cutting it short 12 visits to renault over the following 3 months they found the fault - sub frame not bolted properly into car ! Renault Uk got involved and had it sorted, said i'd get a £50 voucher woopy doo and yep as you may have guessed it never showed lol

White clique
^^ yeah ask the sales guy to speak to the service dept or contact the service dept directly.

An 08 plate will alreay have it loaded on i think as standard.

It does make a huge difference, when mine had just 9k on the clock, so still a tight engine, after the map was loaded i took it on a rolling road and got 190bhp, bear in mind the published fig of 195bhp is usually miles off, i was well chuffed. A lot of people were talking about only 180bhp etc from standard 197s.

White clique
mines got 9k on the clock too, This week is flipping crawling for me...

Honestly, at 9k miles the engine is still really nice and tight, you can smash it about a bit but it really loosens up over 15k! Mine now at 18k has never felt so good, and the best it yet to come. The exhaust note seems to improve over time too.

Clio 197 08
^^ yeah ask the sales guy to speak to the service dept or contact the service dept directly.

An 08 plate will alreay have it loaded on i think as standard.

It does make a huge difference, when mine had just 9k on the clock, so still a tight engine, after the map was loaded i took it on a rolling road and got 190bhp, bear in mind the published fig of 195bhp is usually miles off, i was well chuffed. A lot of people were talking about only 180bhp etc from standard 197s.

It is still really lumpy though on the odd occasion where i do pull away before she has warmed up! :S

White clique
It is still really lumpy though on the odd occasion where i do pull away before she has warmed up! :S

it may be worth asking them to check if yours had it, but my understanding is that its on all March 08 cars onwards.

I did a thread on this on renaultsport.co.uk, and whilst all the owners of the pre-08 models who'd had the patch done said there was an improvement, there were still 08 owners a little pissed off that nothing was available for theres. Renault put this down to a "characteristic" of the engine! Even with the patch mine isnt great for cold, but its a hell of a lot better than it was.

Cayman S Edition 1
When I had my 197, I had the ktec remap, ITG panel filter and Eibach lowering springs.

The remap made a bit of a difference and the springs certainly improved handling, but I wouldn't get the map done again if I ever owned another one. Compared to the difference it made in my Trophy, its like chalk and cheese.

Clio 197 08
it may be worth asking them to check if yours had it, but my understanding is that its on all March 08 cars onwards.

I did a thread on this on renaultsport.co.uk, and whilst all the owners of the pre-08 models who'd had the patch done said there was an improvement, there were still 08 owners a little pissed off that nothing was available for theres. Renault put this down to a "characteristic" of the engine! Even with the patch mine isnt great for cold, but its a hell of a lot better than it was.

Lol, think i have read that before and the trick is i ordered mine late feb so would of been built during March! :S

Black 197
Hey ash ! I'm so looking forward to picking my car up mate, Found out yesterday the gf is pregnat too... Happy days aye

Was a 197
your actual BHP figure is reflective on how the engine gets run in too. If its took easy with the odd burst here and there and then the more miles the more bursts it will get closer to the book figure

Clio 197 08
3 days left now mate! You reckon you could make it to South Mimms services on the 19th with your new motor? Not sure how far from croydon that is! Congrats on the pregnancy mate! Excellant news! At least the 197 got room on the back seats for the baby seat!

Clio 197 08
Yes mate, prob about in the middle of the top! If you get me! Is on the 19th of this month at 2pm i think! You should come and back up the 197's! Glad all is back on track mate! New motor and back on track relationship! You must be smiling!

Black 197
I just hope they spray the spoiler on Tuesday and fit it, Booked Wednesday day off from work so will be a pain if i have to wait until Thursday for the car.... May ring the dealer on Tuesday 1st thing and get them to push for it to be done

Black 197
Yeah i am mate totally, GF hasn't seen the car yet and is already dreading the rear spoiler lol, You know they'll be hating when i roll to CS meets with the baby seat in lol, Think i'll bring the bubby on a few outings too if the gf lets me