ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Modifying a Williams - YOUR OPINIONS

Im just curious what everyones thought on modifying a Wiliams (1, 2, or 3) are.

Should you not touch them at all?

Can you get away with mods that are easily restored to original spec. when the need is there (e.g. zorst, quad lamps etc)?

Is it just the bodywork that matters, are engine mods ok?

I think its all down to what you want to do with your car, but I know others on here feel strongly about this subject, so I just want an opinion from you all!

Let me know!!!!!

Do what ya want.. Williams is a modified Valver.. give it some of its own treatment.. haha.

You pay the money for it you can do what you want with it.

I personally dont see the need for cosmetic changes but perfomance mods are worth while.

Agree with 007. Provided the mods are out of sight in the engine bay, do what you like. Just dont change the wheels, give it a bad boy bonnet, put neons on it or anything like that...!

How about the extremes of engine mods, like a full head/chip/cams package, throttle bodies, or a turbo conversion?

I agree about cosmetic changes in the main, though I do think quad headlamps suit the Mk1 Clio very well.. leave the bodykits and bigger spoilers on the shelf tho!

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 16 November 2003

How about the extremes of engine mods, like a full head/chip/cams package, throttle bodies, or a turbo conversion?
Dont see why not. Maybe not turbo as car was designed as N/A, but head, chip, cams, throttle bodies all sound good :devilish:

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 16 November 2003

Dont see why not. Maybe not turbo as car was designed as N/A, but head, chip, cams, throttle bodies all sound good :devilish:

:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

"Williams is a modified Valver.. give it some of its own treatment.. haha."

LoL Comment designed for maximum controversy.. ;)

why not, its just a car!

People modify ferraris etc and theyre a little bit more special than a clio aint they!

it all depends on how it is modified and what the owner wants from the car!

Do what you want, but keep all the standard parts for re-sale purposes. Not many people like modified Williams.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 16 November 2003

Do what you want, but keep all the standard parts for re-sale purposes. Not many people like modified Williams.
I suppose that is the key, whether you want to preserve its value for re-sale, or hold onto it until either you or the car are dead!

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Like the idea of a turbo for my williams, but not for the 7.4K asking price.

Depends how good it is. Personally I like mine original, but period tunning stuff should be ok.

Personnaly i think engine mods are fine body mods are not but at the end of the day its up to the owner to decide.

If you do anything and you want to keep re sale value then make sure you can put it back to original, if you dont then enjoy your williams the way you want to.

Willy2

Rip - you have seen my car, so you must know how i feel about mods, I do want someday to put it back to standard, but a willy turns so many heads in its original form, so if you do mod it make it tasteful, please no chrome washer jets or fast and furious stickers, i will personaly drive up to you and remove them with a screwdriver!

Do whatever you want, but personally wouldnt do anything to the body that you couldnt put back to standard.

My brother is having to be really careful how he mods his ECos because modded cossies go for a lot less than original ones.

Quote: Originally posted by Rajk on 16 November 2003

please no chrome washer jets or fast and furious stickers, i will personaly drive up to you and remove them with a screwdriver!
No danger of that mate, have no fear!

Im not big on body mods for these cars anyways, I think the 16v/Willy looks nice and chunky as standard and doesnt really need kits etc

agree with everyone else, engine yup, body nooooooo!

Just my take on things, although im starting to feel the same way about valvers, am i getting old?????

exception of maxi of course, at least it has some pedigree and looks the dogs danglers!

So would any of you have any qualms in buying a Williams with headwork and cams, if the work was shown to be carried out to a high standard (by BB, Hill Power or other "respected" tuners) and the car had been well cared for, with lots of bills etc?

Willy2

i feel it would be a selling point, but with willys being rare anyway, i think STD is the way to stay to get a good value for the car!

I think most peeps feel the same about modding a Willy.

The only mods im concidering - body work wise are the lights, everything else im restoring to factory standard, hence with the suspension at the mo.

Any other mods that ill do will be under the bonnet.

Heavily modding a car like this is really a crime, and as a resale point, I doubt itll be easy to sell if u change the body work alot.

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Put it this way - if 2 williams were for sale next to each other in a garage, one was totally original and the other had engine work, a big dirty barry exhaust and big wheels.

Id go for the original one !

I think the only mod that adds to the car is a zorst (because of the sound). Chip can be replaced back to original so thats ok, and a panel filter is basically a standsrd part anyway (just a cotton version of the paper original). Body mods to a WIlliams are a BIG no no. If you want body mods id just buy a valver with a williams engine and mod that.

I wouldnt buy a Williams that had anything done other than a ss zorst. If and when i sell my Williams ill put back in the standard renault chip and a paper filter and probably put back on the original exhaust (i still have it).

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 17 November 2003

I think the only mod that adds to the car is a zorst (because of the sound). Chip can be replaced back to original so thats ok, and a panel filter is basically a standsrd part anyway (just a cotton version of the paper original). Body mods to a WIlliams are a BIG no no. If you want body mods id just buy a valver with a williams engine and mod that.

I wouldnt buy a Williams that had anything done other than a ss zorst. If and when i sell my Williams ill put back in the standard renault chip and a paper filter and probably put back on the original exhaust (i still have it).

Thats what i have just done!! I didnt wanna buy a willy then f**k it up so am keeping my valver and have just bought a willy lump for it!!

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

or you could get a copy of photoshop, and virtually modify it without ruining the real thing. Let your mind go crazy with blue neons and tire valve lights !

Wooo the excitment

Paint it scarab green so it knows its limited rather than it getting all confused if its original williams blue or monaco etc. ;) Just a thought!

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 17 November 2003

The only mod my Williams came with was a tacky mid 1990s Prima Racing gold coloured back box. Compared to my old Valvers full system, it sounds nowhere near as good so isnt worth keeping and Im going to stick an original back box on as soon as I have some time.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Wouldnt an original zorst be really expensive and be inferior to a full stainless anyway? I dont think you should change the bodywork on a williams as well. I have changed quite a few things on my car but they all improve the performance so I dont think it can be too negative, uprated brakes, coilovers, viper, de-cat etc.

williams and trophy

agree with martin on that 1

wen i got mine the cat was rttlin a bit.....de-cat sorted that out for £60

unfortunately not long after the de-cat, the bafles started goin in the centre silencer.......a trip to powerflow and £200 out the wallet gives me a good sounding s/s zorst that follows original lines exactly, couple this with a k&n panel filter, and coilovers, which replaced my knackered springs.........

all mods have been done to upgrade a little from original, its a brilliant package to begin with, but upgraded a little can be a lot better

Oki, some slightly varying opinions there, but in the main everyone agrees about NOT modding the bodywork, and only doing other stuff you can un-do.

Looks like Im on the hunt for a second Willy lump then!! :devilish: