ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Modify the Clio or something new

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I've had my Clio 182 FF for almost two years as a daily driver and track day car. I am a few months away from allowing myself a dedicated track car which will include a roll cage, so do I modify the Clio or get something else which is already prepped (budget of up to say £2.5k plus the value of my Clio)?

My Clio is in good mechanical order and I have already upgraded the brakes and suspension (Koni adjustable kit) to make a reasonable fun track car but I am almost at the point where I want more! I would prefer to get something around the 200+ bhp per tonne, how easily is this achieve with my current car with my budget in mind (assuming its stripped out etc.)? I don't want to go down the route of destroying my car to spend a few £k to realise it's not much faster or way cheaper just to buy something.

Thoughts please?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Unless you spend big bucks it won't be much faster. You can make it handle better etc but will you hanker for something faster, I think you might.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Thanks.

R26 is definitely on my radar, along with Mini's and a Honda of some sort. I was thinking of getting something fairly focused (stripped, caged), but I know I could hit my magic 200+ bhp per tonne in the R26. I haven't seen many prepped R26 but it could become a project with longevity.

As I know my Clio well and have already spent money getting it into good mechanical, I was hoping I could turn that into what I want without spending mega bucks.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Clios are great on track as im sure you know, 2.5k should see some decent mods on your current car for track rather than buying something else that you may or not have to spend out on as well to get it were you want it.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Clios are great on track as im sure you know, 2.5k should see some decent mods on your current car for track rather than buying something else that you may or not have to spend out on as well to get it were you want it.

I agree Clios are great on time, but what mods could I do with c£2.5k which would vastly improve it?

I live on the South coast so my local tracks are Goodwood, Thruxton and Castle Combes which are all mainly power tracks. Hence why more bhp would be beneficial. Maybe I should move...

I'd say move onto something else if you've had it years, could get a ep3 and kpro it with your budget along with other mods like suspension. A kpro'd ep3 will see you near your 200hp per tonne mark with header and intake plus gutted interior.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I'd say move onto something else if you've had it years, could get a ep3 and kpro it with your budget along with other mods like suspension. A kpro'd ep3 will see you near your 200hp per tonne mark with header and intake plus gutted interior.

Thanks, I will do some more research!

Having thought about it for another day or so (plus a 'chat' with the wife) a tweaked Megane R26 is looking the most likely but that means only having one car (excluding the family Cmax but I don't count that...).

low boost.

This was my initial thought but sadly too many horror story's have put me off.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Although a boosted Clio is great, i personally wouldn't want to own one due to the issues that inevitably come with it, perhaps an R26 is a better choice :)

I will be getting ITB's for mine after my wedding, purely because they won't be around forever, feels like a dying bread as everything is/has gone turbo over the last few years due to emissions. Power wise no doubt it will be less than a turbo Clio or an R26, but I am somewhat attached to my track car :)

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
The thought of ITB's is appealing, if my car was further down the modified route I would definitely be getting these.

dan's cast offs.
This was my initial thought but sadly too many horror story's have put me off.

quality of work can be a bit iffy it has to be said but as long as it's done right and mapped well then no reason why it wouldn't be as reliable as an na car.

Clio 182
I agree Clios are great on time, but what mods could I do with c£2.5k which would vastly improve it?

I live on the South coast so my local tracks are Goodwood, Thruxton and Castle Combes which are all mainly power tracks. Hence why more bhp would be beneficial. Maybe I should move...

... Try brands [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 182
In answer to the 200bhp per ton, it's possible... A ported inlet and cat Cams have seen a 196@fw and a car is super close to 1040kgs including driver and race fuel. Add a budget for a diff and you'll be enjoying a suitable track car and keeping a lot of bigger horse power cars honest with corner speed and to be honest the fun factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Update:

I have now sorted out a replacement for the Clio for daily duties, ordered a Leon Cupra 290 on a relatively cheap lease deal. This will arrive end Nov/Dec time so now I have a target date to decide what to do with the Clio.

I also attended a track day at Goodwood at the weekend and fell in love with the Clio again. I have also decided that not having 200 bhp/tonne as a track car is not the end of the world. The Cupra will not be tracked as its a lease deal...

Therefore, if I can modify the Clio to become a rawer dedicated track car for under £2k I will. The problem, if i want to put a cage into the car this will blow most of my budget straightaway. Shall I just sell the Clio and just buy a prepped Clio?

Just keep it now mate, get an eBay half cage and anchor it down properly, strip it to bare metal and spend the rest on suspension, brakes, tyres and track days...

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
As stated above 200 hp/tonne is easily achievable in a Clio, set of cams and some breathing mods along with a stripped interior and you are right at the 200 mark. Most of the bit's you should be able to pick up second hand, add a diff and some more dedicated track suspension at a later date and you will have a great car. My preferance though would be forget power figures for now, get a proper LSD fitted with a lower final drive, the stickiest tyres you can get your hands on and some coilovers with decent spring rates and you will be surprised what you can keep up with.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Decision made - I am keeping the Clio!
My Clio 182 FF weighs 1100 kg (quarter tank), and with 178 bhp (estimate) = 162 bhp per tonne. If I can strip 75kg of weight and increase bhp by 12 that would make 185 bhp/tonne which would make for an entertaining track car.

I assume 75kg can be stripped out easily enough?
So ported inlet and cat Cams should hit my BHP target - how much for new parts and fitting? (I am not very practical...)

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I would get the whole 200hp/tonne out of your head tbh, look at loosing as much weight from the car as you can. Add an LSD an some decent tyres and go have some fun, i would only consider cam's at this point if your car needs a cambelt and you are handy with the spanners. You start to get diminishing returns when paying people to up the power in these cars, a diff is expensive but IMO worth the outlay especially when using sticky rubber. Look at the Mfactory one as they are pretty cheap, Pure motorsport do them.

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Ok thanks for the advice.

Once my new car arrives (Dec time) I will start to strip the Clio and potentially get a cage (rear cage?) installed first of all. This car is going to be a long term project so I am going to slowly continue to develop the car over time which is part of the fun for me.