ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mobile Phone Upgrade help- Your recommendations please.

Right - Im a complete newb when it comes to phones. I am due an upgrade with my vodaphone.

Basically I dont text much- mainly phone calls, I would like at least a 2mp camera but thats not that important because I have a good digital camera.

Im not that bothered with mp3 players and stuff because I have a good mp3 player.

I currently have a Erikson k800i which I have been pretty pleased with. I will be interested in any make other than motorola - had two before and they were crap.

Because I dont actually use much on my phone I was thinking of just trying to get the smallest phone around because I hate having a big phone in my pocket-- can any recommend a tiny phone for me.

The other thing that does interest me is sat nav-- I would use this alot but I have a few questions about sat nav on phones...

1- Do you have to pay extra for it per month or is it just free to use if you have it .... basically how does it work?

2- Is it actually any good- anyone use sat nav off there phone?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
2, yes its handy works fine.

1, In most cases an additional subscription/purchase is required for satnav to work but actually using it is free.

Phones with built in GPS;
N82
N95
N95 8GB
Nokia 6110 navigator

Coming soon;
Nokia N78

Much later;
Nokia N96

All Symbian/Windows Mobile handsets are capable of satnav.
The phones above work out of the box and others require an external bluetooth GPS device (£30+)

172 Cup
A quick tip.

I'm on Vodafone was called them yesterday to upgrade. Make sure you negotiate with them as I asked about a K850i and they wanted £150 to upgrade, then £70 and finally £20.

If your interested in Sat Nav then the Nokia 6110 Navigator looks ideal for you. According to Vodafone, unlike the N95, the maps/Sat Nav is included in the price with the 6110.

Seeing as you guys seem to know your stuff heres a couple more questions...............

1- On the nokia 6110 navigator - it obviosly comes with the uk and ireland maps built in-- could you also get maps to use it in europe... is it possible for any sat nav phone to be used in europe?

2- I take it there would still be a an extra charge each month for sat nav on this phone-- roughly how much do they charge?

Also - if i decide to sacrifice sat nav and other features for a much smaller phone..... what would you recommend-- what are the smallest phones around at the moment?

Lee

BMW M2C
I'm really impressed with the Nokia N82 I picked up last week. The sat nav works really well, not that I use it.

Battery life is also massively better than the E65 I had before it.

Renault Sport Clio 172
i have just recieved my K850i.... takes awesome pictures as its now a 5mp camera instead of the 3.2mp on the k800i...

I'm really impressed with the Nokia N82 I picked up last week. The sat nav works really well, not that I use it.

Thats the best ive seen so far ... If you dont mind me asking -- how much did it cost you and how much is it monthly- how much is the sat nav or is that just included in your monthly bill?

i have just recieved my K850i.... takes awesome pictures as its now a 5mp camera instead of the 3.2mp on the k800i...

I am interested in this phone-- I have liked my k800i-- everything works and is easy to use.... any other difference other than the camera upgrade. Is it any smaller?

Lee

BMW M2C

Thats the best ive seen so far ... If you dont mind me asking -- how much did it cost you and how much is it monthly- how much is the sat nav or is that just included in your monthly bill?

As my tarrif is the lowest ever (I get so much off for being with o2 for 15 years) they charged me £99 for the handset. I could have had most for free but I fancied the N82. My line rental is only £12 a month. lol I need to remove some of my bolt on texts, but my monthly bill is usually around £30 - £40.

The sat nav can use either the network (costly), wifi (pointless) or the GPS which is excellent and free, it just requires you to have a clear line of sight to the sky.

Had a quick blast with the camera earlier. Very impressive quality.

Renault Sport Clio 172

I am interested in this phone-- I have liked my k800i-- everything works and is easy to use.... any other difference other than the camera upgrade. Is it any smaller?

yes it is a little smaller but not that much to be honest.... but 1 good point is that the camera desnt have that annoying slide thing anymore, it also has a light for taking video, which let the K800i down when filming in the dark etc.... the other thing is that the top 3 buttons are part of the screen (kind of touch screen) but to be honest i kind of like it....

v6
Can you use TomTom or Garmin with the inbuilt sat-nav, on say an N95, or do you need to get an external receiver? Sure I read that somewhere

VaVa
I have GarminXT mobile on my N95... works very well. And is free *cough*

I have that and tomtom on my E51.
Not sure which is better yet

I plumped for Garmin as it uses the internal GPS antenna.

I actually prefer the TomTom software but as far as I'm aware you'll need a GPS bluetooth dongle to use it.

The Garmin can be a bit fiddly at times, but once you've sussed it it's relatively straightforward to use and works very well.

BMW bus
Also - if i decide to sacrifice sat nav and other features for a much smaller phone..... what would you recommend-- what are the smallest phones around at the moment?

Sony Ericsson W890i has just come out. Its the new updated version of the W880i, faster internet browser, 3.2mp camera, 2GB memory as standard.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/w890i

I've got the W880i at the moment and cant fault it. All I really look for in a phone is something which isnt the size of a brick, looks good, makes calls, has a camera and can play some tunes if need be.

Will definately be upgrading to the W890i asap