ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mobile 'broadband' any good?

koi

Audi S1
Hi,

Does anyone here use mobile broadband? The thing Vodafone and T-Mobile are doing where you get a usb modem for your laptop to get on the net.

I'm guessing the speed will be closer to 56k than broadband so just after some thoughts before I order it. Would prefer to get proper broadband installed but don't have a phone line and prob be moving about a lot so thought I would check this out.

Cheers

Renault Clio 1.4 16V
Orite mate,

just thought i would give you some info on it, i now work for 3, but did previously work for vodafone...In terms of the connection speed, its not as fast as what you could class as home broadband, vodafone and t-mobile i believe are on 1.4mbps. The 3 mobile broadband though runs at a minimum of 2.8mbps; which is twice as fast, and this is a minimum as they will be launching a "turbo" service in the coming months... Price-wise, your looking at a monthly cost £10 for 1gb of download space, £15 for 3gb of download space, and £25 for 7gb of download space. Hope this helps! :)

It can be quite slow, even if it says it connects around 2.5mb its rarely that speed. Depends how desperate you are, for occasional browsing it will be fine, but coverage can also be an issue. If 3g is unavaliable it will use standard gprs, but thats usually slower than 56k.

koi

Audi S1
was about to order the 3 £15 mobile broadband from carphone cause the modem is free with them but it's out of stock :(

6/468 17poo
my bro was gonna get this the other day, kinda talked him round it, i doubt its any good, as alot of the time u dont get a good 3g network, plus u get stuck in a contract dont ya?

Ryan

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Im using T-Mobile web n walk and when hooked up to my laptop I get 450Kbit/s connection. Which is fine for everything from web surfing to viewing youtube.

obviously large file downloads are still slow.

koi

Audi S1
Im using T-Mobile web n walk and when hooked up to my laptop I get 450Kbit/s connection. Which is fine for everything from web surfing to viewing youtube.

Mobile contract is up so this could be an option, how much is the web n walk? Take it you use your phone as a modem for this?

Had a play with the mobile broadband at the t-mobile and 3
stores today. Have to say t-mobile was like 56k zzzz Was pretty impressed with the speed on 3 though but guess it's all down to signal strength.

Couldn't sign up cause I'm still waiting for a replacement bank card cause my first one went missing in the post and now Royal Mail are on bloody strike :mad:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Mobile contract is up so this could be an option, how much is the web n walk? Take it you use your phone as a modem for this?

stores today. Have to say t-mobile was like 56k zzzz Was pretty impressed with the speed on 3 though but guess it's all down to signal strength.

Couldn't sign up cause I'm still waiting for a replacement bank card cause my first one went missing in the post and now Royal Mail are on bloody strike :mad:

Web n' Walk is £7.50 a month extra. Note that all operators that do 'data' advertise as unlimited.. Vodaphone have a fair use policy of 120MB/month !!! t-mobile is 1GB/month..

Yes, I connect my n95 to my laptop and it does the rest for me.. very neat indeed.

koi

Audi S1

Web n' Walk is £7.50 a month extra. Note that all operators that do 'data' advertise as unlimited.. Vodaphone have a fair use policy of 120MB/month !!! t-mobile is 1GB/month..

Yes, I connect my n95 to my laptop and it does the rest for me.. very neat indeed.

Seems pretty good, will pop into t-mobile to check it out. Prob wait till they start doing the Sony K950 till I get it though.

Actually scratch that, just checked the t-mobile website, web n walk is an extra £12.50 so I'd rather just pay the £15 a month and get the usb modem.

Last edited:
  Golf GTI 1.8T
plus u get stuck in a contract dont ya?

Ryan

yep 24 month contract from what I've seen in the papers.

I was tempted by it but when I see the fair usage policy was 3gb a month there was no way I was being locked in a contract for such a little amount of data allowence.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Seems pretty good, will pop into t-mobile to check it out. Prob wait till they start doing the Sony K950 till I get it though.

Actually scratch that, just checked the t-mobile website, web n walk is an extra £12.50 so I'd rather just pay the £15 a month and get the usb modem.

Its £12.50 if you go for the full data package. The full data package is what your supposed to get if you want to use web n walk phone as a modem, but it still works just fine on the standard £7.50 web n walk :) so I have never upgraded !

F1 - R26
Hi,

Does anyone here use mobile broadband? The thing Vodafone and T-Mobile are doing where you get a usb modem for your laptop to get on the net.

I'm guessing the speed will be closer to 56k than broadband so just after some thoughts before I order it. Would prefer to get proper broadband installed but don't have a phone line and prob be moving about a lot so thought I would check this out.

Cheers

If you can get a HSPDA connection then it's very good, otherwise only if you really must

koi

Audi S1
Got the 3 mobile broadband today.

Have to admit, pretty impressed with the speed of it so looks like I'll be keeping it. Only downside is the 2 year contract!!