ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mobil1, 5W50 for the 172

clio 172 mk2

Hi guys:

Do you think this viscosity grade would be suitable for the 172 MK2?? Where I live, this is the only variant for mobil1 oil.

Regards,

XXW50 oils make your engine loose a little power from the oil pump because of a too high viscosity, that is what an oil engineer told me.

5W40 is perfect.

I use graphited engine oil + ceramic based oil addtitive in my MK2 Punto GT (133), I can hang on a 160hp Punto GT (1.7bar of boost pression)when I am behind my mate, he very hardly manages to go out.

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by deuginthesky on 27 May 2004

I can hang on a 160hp Punto GT (1.7bar of boost pression)
never knew the Punto turbos could take so much boost ?..........and for that kind of boost, pretty sh1t power, only 160bhp

172 FF

Get a decent 5-40. Ive seen a few people on here reccomending Silkolene.

Anyone tried the Chevron stuff at Costco? its something like £12 for 4 or 5 litres of 5-40 Fully Synthetic.
Just wondered why its so cheap.
Maybe costco import it from the US or something???

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 28 May 2004
Quote: Originally posted by deuginthesky on 27 May 2004I can hang on a 160hp Punto GT (1.7bar of boost pression)[/QUOTE]never knew the Punto turbos could take so much boost ?..........and for that kind of boost, pretty sh1t power, only 160bhp

1.7bar is the peek pression, a kind of overboost, in reality its a delay in the open of the waste gate.

Constant pression is 1.3bar when you have 1.7bar of boost peek.

Pistons can hang on without problems up to 1.6bar, 1.7 is the limit, not to be used everyday when pushing the car at will.

Quote: Originally posted by NIN-172 on 28 May 2004
Get a decent 5-40. Ive seen a few people on here reccomending Silkolene.Anyone tried the Chevron stuff at Costco? its something like £12 for 4 or 5 litres of 5-40 Fully Synthetic.
Just wondered why its so cheap.

What are the specifications of this oil ? (API, car makers...)

My dad works in the oil/additive industry for a while, I know a bit about this stuff.

Fiesta ST Stage 3

Got Mobil 1 15 w 50 in my car and is a full motor sport oil and is the best by far. If you push your car hard this oil is for you but it dont come cheep £ 55 for 5 litres. But like in all life you get what you pay 4 .

Quote: Originally posted by mr bognor on 28 May 2004
Got Mobil 1 15 w 50 in my car and is a full motor sport oil and is the best by far. If you push your car hard this oil is for you but it dont come cheep £ 55 for 5 litres. But like in all life you get what you pay 4 .

15W50 is useless IMHO.

Most of the engine weakening is made until 15 minutes after you start it. Its the standard time required for the oil to be at full working temperature.

The more fluid you oil is when cold, the faster every parts ou your engine are lubrified, for exemple the hydraulic valves tappets.

15W50 is good for endurance races, not for a road car IMO.

Millers competition CFS 10w/60 is what Ive used for the past few years . Needs changing fairly frequently , but that doesnt concern me .

Mr Bognor , what makes you think that Mobil1 15/50 is the best oil by far ?

Fiesta ST Stage 3

I have used some other oils in the past the liks of Castroal RS and Carlube triple R and They were good all the same but have looked in to moble 1 and seen that it is stand fit on the likes of Porsche and Ferrari ect and after using it for the last 6 months it is just the best by far .

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">I have used some other oils in the past the liks of Castroal RS and Carlube triple R and They were good all the same but have looked in to moble 1 and seen that it is stand fit on the likes of Porsche and Ferrari ect and after using it for the last 6 months it is just the best by far .

I doubt Ferrari uses Mobil 1 oil, considering they have a partnership with Shell.

Fiesta ST Stage 3

Just what i was told . I think that it is a case of what works for you some do not like some oils ie mobil 1 . castroal and some do

Mobil 1 is horrid oil, it doesnt handle temps good at all, which is the meain reason i moved form it after 1 fill. It cant handle a track day without additionaly cooling and soared to temps over 10 deg C higher than any other oil ive used.

The base stock quality isnt great.

Quote: Originally posted by deuginthesky on 28 May 2004

15W50 is useless IMHO.

Most of the engine weakening is made until 15 minutes after you start it. Its the standard time required for the oil to be at full working temperature.

The more fluid you oil is when cold, the faster every parts ou your engine are lubrified, for exemple the hydraulic valves tappets.

15W50 is good for endurance races, not for a road car IMO.
15w50 is far from useless.

The correct oil grade to use is totally dependant on average ambient temps and peak engine oil temps you encounter.

In current summer weather a 15w50 is mroe than thin enough not to cause any wear issues, it can also handle high temps better, and in most cases is more shear stable.

However, its nto wise to run a 15w50 if you own an economy based motor which is run at sub zero temps.

Its all relative, and if you can keep your oil cool enough you can run a 10w40 everyday all day under any circumstances. But at the same time you can also look at a 10w40 as a poor oil, especially in mineral and semi synth state, due to the amount of VI improvers and polymers.

172, Tiguan

Ah well...5w 40 mobil1 has gone into mine today, ill have to see how it handles track work. If it does start to soar then ill switch back to the ELF stuff or similar pdq!

Though i will say it was no problems in the Westfield.

what engine do you have in it?

My K series in the caterham ru 15w50 shell and it dosent get too hot either, but do have an apollo tank.

172, Tiguan

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/http://www.sbdev.co.uk/

Both had 2.0 xe engines, one had 210 hp on 48 webbers

My uncles had 230 on TBs. Soon to be 255 when it gets rebuilt. He is an instructor at Goodwood and a customer crashed it. Its been sitting in one of the hangers there for about a year, but now funds allow a new chassis has been ordered

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 28 May 2004
[/QUOTE]15w50 is far from useless. The correct oil grade to use is totally dependant on average ambient temps and peak engine oil temps you encounter. In current summer weather a 15w50 is mroe than thin enough not to cause any wear issues, it can also handle high temps better, and in most cases is more shear stable. However, its nto wise to run a 15w50 if you own an economy based motor which is run at sub zero temps. Its all relative, and if you can keep your oil cool enough you can run a 10w40 everyday all day under any circumstances. But at the same time you can also look at a 10w40 as a poor oil, especially in mineral and semi synth state, due to the amount of VI improvers and polymers.

There is technically no need at all of a XXW50 oil even in summers with a stock engine.

Its even worse when autumn/winter comes, a 15WXX oil is ways to slow to come to full efficiency temperature.

Unless your engine takes high RPMs (well above the 7250 stock F4R max RPMs) fot a long time e.g Endurance races, 15W50 is useless.

If you feel better for your engine with XXW50 oils, then do it, but I can assure you your engine wont be better maintained with that kind of oil.

My engine is supposed to burn up to 0.8L of oil every 1000Kms (in extrem circumstances). Last summer, with a very hot weather in France like everywhere, I had almost no oil consumption with my 5W40 graphited oil, wheareas other people with XXW50 oils had to check more often their oil capacity.

Moreover, to get the best performance as possible, your oil has to be fluid, with XXW50 oils you lose a little power.

I know 10W40 semi-synthetic oils that match the last API specifications ;)

Quote: Originally posted by bx16v on 29 May 2004
Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 28 May 20045w50 isnt correct for the 172 so dont bother.Could you be MORE SPECIFIC in your commentary??

Renault recommands to use 5W40 100% synth oil for Sport 172/182 Clios.

Quote: Originally posted by deuginthesky on 29 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 28 May 2004
15w50 is far from useless.

The correct oil grade to use is totally dependant on average ambient temps and peak engine oil temps you encounter.

In current summer weather a 15w50 is mroe than thin enough not to cause any wear issues, it can also handle high temps better, and in most cases is more shear stable.

However, its nto wise to run a 15w50 if you own an economy based motor which is run at sub zero temps.

Its all relative, and if you can keep your oil cool enough you can run a 10w40 everyday all day under any circumstances. But at the same time you can also look at a 10w40 as a poor oil, especially in mineral and semi synth state, due to the amount of VI improvers and polymers.

There is technically no need at all of a XXW50 oil even in summers with a stock engine.

Its even worse when autumn/winter comes, a 15WXX oil is ways to slow to come to full efficiency temperature.

Unless your engine takes high RPMs (well above the 7250 stock F4R max RPMs) fot a long time e.g Endurance races, 15W50 is useless.

If you feel better for your engine with XXW50 oils, then do it, but I can assure you your engine wont be better maintained with that kind of oil.

My engine is supposed to burn up to 0.8L of oil every 1000Kms (in extrem circumstances). Last summer, with a very hot weather in France like everywhere, I had almost no oil consumption with my 5W40 graphited oil, wheareas other people with XXW50 oils had to check more often their oil capacity.

Moreover, to get the best performance as possible, your oil has to be fluid, with XXW50 oils you lose a little power.

I know 10W40 semi-synthetic oils that match the last API specifications ;)

Plenty of oil meet API, but that doesnt mean they are good oils. ACEA is a better certification.

API certified oils dont like alot of EPAs so they arent as protective as you are led to think.

15w50 is fine for our engines, especially when were running over 110C oil temps. The grade of oil you use should depend on the abient temps and the peak operating temp of the engine. The viscosity at temp is important, so if a 50 fits the bill, then its fine.

Sure, its not going to give the protection from near Zero temps that a 5 or 10w oil will, but thats why you change your oil for winter and summer.

I also know alot about oils so i dont dilly dally with the basic myths that are associated with the trade.

Also, a 50 will not loose you power, you will loose more power by running a oil that is too thin and too hot. Shear stability is more important.

clio 172 mk2

After reading all the posts, and taking an AVERAGE;) of all the commentaries, it seems that mobil 1 5W50 ( the subject of this post) isnt too bad for the 172!!!