ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MkII 172 squeaky, creaky seat doin' my nut in

1998 BMW e46 323i
Sounds like the back/side of base nr door of the driver's seat is creaking under my weight (I'm 16 stone, and before people start checking their cupboards for unaccounted pies, I'm 6ft 4), now I'm heavy, but surely there's heavier people who don't 'ave creaky seats?

Anyway, I've tightened the four bolts underneath the car that hold the seat; actually turned 'em quite a bit for a newish car!

Can anyone suggest remedies or share similar stories, the search facility didn't really overwhelm me with results....

Thanks, John

Golf GTI 1.8T
I'd take them out mate, clean up all the runners and bolts etc....

put them back in and see if thats any better, plus you can clean proper underneath your seats :)

1998 BMW e46 323i
thanks for the replies; I was hoping someone had had the problem and could suggest a proven remedy... I'll get to the bottom of it one day!!!

1998 BMW e46 323i
i've found the cause: the plastic cover of the runners, near and parallel to the dor sill flexes...

if i hold it tight there's no squeak.

Guess i'll shove a rag in between it and the door sill or something

I have a squeaking drivers seat which is a bit loose aswell in my 172 cup. I have only had the car for 1 week so i havent had the chance to sort it out yet but it does my bloody head in.

SLK 350
If you can find out whats squeaking you could use some rubber washers etc to provide some proofing, and its an ideal excuse to get your womans head in your lap "listen for the squeaks honey..." while you drive along smiling :)

My rear headrests do my fking nut in, they have some play in them and on bumpy roads they rattle. Going to see if i can sort it now while i think about it.

Focus ST
I've got the same problem, although I'm 14 stone of pure muscle LOL!! :D

My seats have the leather side. These rub against the plastic guard for the seat runners. There are two ways round it. Adjust the height of the seat (which probably won't work for you being 6ft etc), or as someone else has mentioned, wedge something between them. i'm wedge my printout from when I got the tracking done on me car.

Now no squeaking or creaking. :cool: