ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk3 1.5 DCI knocking noises.

A4 tdi quattro sport
I'm looking for a bit assistance with my 57 plate DCI. I know its very difficult to diagnose a noise over the internet but I'll do my best to explain. I've not had a chance to get the car up and inspect due to the snow and poor weather up here in Scotland.

There are two different noise.

1) a knocking like metal on metal when travelling slowly over uneven ground. Seems to be coming from gearbox area and gets worse when engine is under load and if try and stall the engine the noise and vibration can be felt in the cabin. Eg if I try and pull away in third i can hear the same knocking noise but much louder.

2) second noise is like a creaking grating nose when I go over a speed bump it happens when the car goes up the speedbump and also the same noise when it comes down the speedbump.

Having read many post with similar issues i was think about the dog bone mount. Does the mk3 DCI have one?

Any help ideas would be much appreciated.
Garry

A4 tdi quattro sport
Thanks simon. Just waiting in a break in the weather to get the car jacked up and get underneath.

Any idea on the second creaking noise?

A4 tdi quattro sport
I can confirm that replacing the anti roll bar bushes has cured the grating noise going over speed bumps. A cheap fix if you do it yourself. But man its a mare to

If doing it. jack front up really high. Remove old drop links. Remove steering rack bolts from subframe and tie up steering rack round exhaust to support it.

Remove back subframe bolts and support bracket. Then remove lower gearbox mount bolt. Loosen off front subframe bolts and lower the subframe.

You now have access to the roll bar bush mounting bolts. Remove them. Tilt the roll bar back and remove the roll bar from the rear where the subframe is hanging down.

Remove bushes and clean up roll bar. Replace with new.

The put everything back the way they came out.

Job done. Lovely and smooth again over bumps.