ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 V6 front spoiler on speed bumps

Went to test drive a Mk2 v6 today - first time I ever seen one.

Loverly car (is it me or does it understeer? wasnt sure...), but one big problem......

...they have put poxy speed bumps on my road recently, I noticed this dealer car (with only 3000 miles on the clock) had already scuffed the paint off the front spolier.

Any of you V6 owners out there get a problem with this?

[Edited by EvoBoy on 06 August 2005 at 3:27pm]

Renault Laguna Coupe

No. Some of the really big ones require a bit of cunning (approach them at an angle), but generally you can clear them no problem. The underside of the spoiler can get scraped on big changes of gradient though, like if you have a steep drive or kerb to get over.

Clio v6

Quote: The underside of the spoiler can get scraped on big changes of gradient though, like if you have a steep drive or kerb to get over.

Yes :cry:

I have scraped mine several times at filling station entrance ramps, supermarket car parks and the security ramps. I approach them really carefully now but still have cracked the front apron and undertray, sometimes other road users get annoyed at this slow speed roll-over!

I have replaced the front undertray to bumper apron section with a carbon fibre replacement. Some cars were built with slightly lower ride heights but still within factory specs, same as camber settings, etc.

Clio RS 172 Ph2

I have had no problems, but like others have said, it can be a case of approaching them at the right angle, and dead slow speed, which can annoy other drivers as you plod along at a snails pace, however, isnt that the idea of speed bumps anyway - to slow traffic???

On a side note, has anyone had any problems with grounding on slopes in multi-storey car parks? Ive been in two so far (Richmond Station NCP and Basingstoke Festival Place) and Ive held my breath at the top of every ramp expecting it to ground somewhere along the wheelbase, but *touch wood* its cleared them. My old Clio Williams used to catch badly in some car parks, and I thought that the reduced ground clearance of the Vee would cause probs - has anyone had a bad experience in a multistorey?

Im sersiously worried about grounding and damaging the side skirts, as I hear theyre so expensive to replace that insurance companies write the car off if theyre damaged??!?

Id just like to avoid public car parks altogether, but I use my car for my job, and I never know what parking facilities Im gonna have to use until I get there!

Where can I buy a V6 that has been written off because the side skirts are damaged? Form a queue - I asked first!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by 137699 on 06 August 2005

On a side note, has anyone had any problems with grounding on slopes in multi-storey car parks? Ive been in two so far (Richmond Station NCP and Basingstoke Festival Place) and Ive held my breath at the top of every ramp expecting it to ground somewhere along the wheelbase, but *touch wood* its cleared them. My old Clio Williams used to catch badly in some car parks, and I thought that the reduced ground clearance of the Vee would cause probs - has anyone had a bad experience in a multistorey?

Im sersiously worried about grounding and damaging the side skirts, as I hear theyre so expensive to replace that insurance companies write the car off if theyre damaged??!?

Id just like to avoid public car parks altogether, but I use my car for my job, and I never know what parking facilities Im gonna have to use until I get there!
Turning circle is a bigger problem than ground clearance to be honest. It sometimes takes a few goes but you get there in the end.

You should live in Cornwall with a V6 Mike, there arent many speed bumps or multi storey anythings but we have T junctions that have not changed since when Ollie Cromwell was a boy in these parts. It gives the farm boys in their big JD combines a grin when I have to double shunt to get down some lanes and I wont even mention pub car parks!

3.0ltr V6

Havent had any major problems but if you charge at the bumps then you will. You just have to go steady and it will be fine.