ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 to mk1 172

Hi , Im wanting to lower my outgoings every month and haave thought about settling up then getting a mk1 172 as they are fairly cheap now ie 7-8k now. question is has anybody done this? will there be realy noticable differences apart from a smaller steering wheel etc!!!

cheers

hiya mate,

just done that myself. I came from an 02 mk2 with 16k on the clock, sold it for 9 grand and bought an absolute mintbox 1 owner xreg 2001 with 21k for 7250!! £1750 smokes in the bank!!

I honestly prefer the mk1 ...seriously..the interior is more dated but less rattly. the car feels more solid as well. the seats are better with the colour renaultsport logo and the carpet seems better quality.( big deal i hear you say)

I miss the climate though, the xenons too. but thats it!!

I think the MK1 has a more aggressive image, plus its the original 172

Do it mate, Im really glad I did!!

So much so that if i could have either, brand new i would take the mk1 - but each to their own - thats just my opinion!!

hope this helps!!

I went from MK2 to MK1 172. I had both cars about the same amount of time (10 months for each) and did the same mileage in both (12k in each). My MK1 172 was undoubtedly faster than my MK2 172, but I think my mk2 was a bit of a dud in the performance stakes.

I have to say though, I always much preferred the mk2 interior and toys, and to be honest, the MK2 handled better. I put some MK2 172 springs on the MK1 not long before I sold it which improved matters, but the MK2 just felt more planted and was less prone to understeer when really pushing it.

However, I hardly ever see MK1 172s around. Definitely the rarer car. Oh yeah, my MK2 rattled a bit, but my MK1 was a living nightmare. The whole rear passenger plastic panel detached itself and the whole interior rattled, banged, clonked and squeaked like a feckin b*****d. It was really doing my head in by the time it went. Its a tribute to Renaults piss poor build quality that an MG-Rover seems like a Rolls Royce in comparison.

cheers guys Im definatly thinking about it. I will miss the interior and climate but needs must.. my mk2 seat rattles big time and have looked at some mint low milege mk1s, Do you miss the keener reponce the mk2 has??? aparently!!

I own a 2000 x 172 in sunflower yellow . I have had it for nearly four years done 46000 miles and i just couldnt think about getting rid of it. It just keeps going faster and faster. The engine is well lose and free ,the brakes discs and pads/tyres new .NOTHING has gone wrong with it .Looks by far the best renaultsport clio . Get one

the mk1 i have is more responsive than the 2 i had, but then its got slightly more miles.

Im not just saying it but i think the mk1 interior is better put together, I see Rhys had a bit of trouble bit this is great, think you better just look around for a mintbox - there are some out there!!

If you read the 172 posts, you will see all versions having rattles bangs etc etc, think its just look of the draw mate - renault build quality is a real mixed bag - french b*stards!

dont get a cup they are poo poo. ( only joking boyos lol)

As matt says, its a mixed bag. Ours seemed like a good one (from quality point of view) for a few k miles, but gradually gave up the ghost. It was out of warranty too, which made matters worse. If you get a mk1, make sure its one with the alloy bonnet - the original and the best ;)