ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Ph2 1.4 16v - Opinions?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hey all,

thinking of swapping my Mk2 ph1 1.6 8v for a Mk2 ph2 1.4 16v; just wondering how they compare?

Thinking in particular about:

• Tax:
Am I right in thinking it will be £120 compared to £185 for the 1.6?
  • Driving:
Were there any changes in gearbox etc - are they smoother, will I notice any differences due to the fact it is a 16v?
  • Economy:
Much better MPG? Mine is pretty poor at the moment.
  • Spec:
What's the difference between say a Dynamique and a Dynamique+? I've been in a Dynamique and it only has a manual sunroof, if this the norm?
  • Power:
The 1.4 seems to put out more than the 1.6, is the power there when needed, for overtaking etc.?
Basically not sure if it's worth it or not as my car will obviously be worth less than whatever I'm buying. I'm looking for something a bit newer and a bit cheaper to run. Something like this perhaps?:
Linky (this one's already sold before anyone tries to nick it before me!)​
or
Linky
Thanks,
Ian

It's 16v, most power will come in higher up the rev range... so you will find yourself near the limiter much more... which will obviously see a decrease in mpg.

On the other hand, i have never experienced either.. so ignore me :(

Titanium 182
I think the tax is £140 ish for the year. The power comes in at about 3.5k+
Overtaking is fairly easy in it tbh.

If your seriously interested mines up for sale and only has a couple of small problems with the bodywork. If you can beat we buy any cars quote you can have it mate.

Ian

Focus TDCi
It's 16v, most power will come in higher up the rev range... so you will find yourself near the limiter much more... which will obviously see a decrease in mpg.

On the other hand, i have never experienced either.. so ignore me :(

Lol, you're probably not missing out on much pal, they're probably pretty similar in the grand scheme of things. I'm just looking for a reason to justify changing.

I never really thought about having to rev them more - can't imagine the MPG will be as bad as my 1.6 though? I guess that makes it harder to overtake as well then? I find that my 1.6 is a bit useless in fifth gear, so on motorways it's not so good at overtaking.

Titanium 182
I find motorway overtaking pretty good in mine tbh, theres enough power there if you need it.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I think the tax is £140 ish for the year. The power comes in at about 3.5k+
Overtaking is fairly easy in it tbh.

If your seriously interested mines up for sale and only has a couple of small problems with the bodywork. If you can beat we buy any cars quote you can have it mate.

Cheers for the info, how much have you been quoted dude?

Edit: just seen your for sale thread, think it's gonna be too much for me; I'm trying to keep around the £2000 mark.

Ian

Focus TDCi
£3350

its a 55 plate on 41 and a bit 000 miles.

Aye, bit out of my price range I'm afraid pal, thanks for the offer though. :)

I'm beginning to think it's probably not worth it, can't see myself saving much overall.

320d
Not thought about a dci Ian. May suit your driving style more as I know you don't like to rev the balls off a car. Dci 80's are punchy and extremely eceonomical and £35 tax.

I'm sure the 1.4 would be an improvement over your 1.6 8v though. It would be a newer car and still be cheap to insure.

THere not bad. I get 35mpg from mine from mixed driving. Overtaking can be done, just pick your place. As above power is after 3.5k but does kick in and can be "nippy". 80 can be had in 3rd.

Mines run like a work horse. Solid as hell.

Tax is around the 120-140 mark, can't remember exactly.

Not a huge step down from the 1.6 I did it myself.

Personally i wouldn't bother going to a 1.4, i'f you're worried go to a diesel or like.

1.4 16vs do seem to be a fair amount faster than 1.2 16vs, I'd say it's worth the upgrade simply because it's a newer model. If you're upgrading for speed or performance then I'd say save up for a 172 (like everyone else suggests) aha.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Not thought about a dci Ian. May suit your driving style more as I know you don't like to rev the balls off a car. Dci 80's are punchy and extremely eceonomical and £35 tax.

I'm sure the 1.4 would be an improvement over your 1.6 8v though. It would be a newer car and still be cheap to insure.

I did consider the DCi, like you say cheaper tax and better economy. But a few things put me off, mainly that they seem to be more expensive than the petrol models, so I'd be scraping the barrel and the 0-60 for the 65 seems epically poor (15s).

THere not bad. I get 35mpg from mine from mixed driving. Overtaking can be done, just pick your place. As above power is after 3.5k but does kick in and can be "nippy". 80 can be had in 3rd.

Mines run like a work horse. Solid as hell.

Tax is around the 120-140 mark, can't remember exactly.

Not a huge step down from the 1.6 I did it myself.

Personally i wouldn't bother going to a 1.4, i'f you're worried go to a diesel or like.

Cheers pal, they sound alright.. I suppose it's just whether I can find a bargain.

Ian

Focus TDCi
1.4 16vs do seem to be a fair amount faster than 1.2 16vs, I'd say it's worth the upgrade simply because it's a newer model. If you're upgrading for speed or performance then I'd say save up for a 172 (like everyone else suggests) aha.

Insurance is killer! Can have a 1.4 for ~£900 or a ph1 172 for £3,000+ lol.

I went from a 1.2 16v Clio to a 1.4 8v 206 (55 Plate, all the nice extras/colour coding etc) and i must say, its a grower. Kinda like it now. Pulls much nicer.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Have you looked beyond clios? Or you set on another?

I've looked into getting a Ford Focus, but reading what everyone else has said it would have to be a 1.8 and obviously they cost a lot to tax and run. Insurance isn't bad and they can be had for cheap, but I'm trying to stay sensible. Fiesta is a possibility, but I didn't really like my mum's old one. Not really too clued up on any other manufacturers. Guessing it would be whichever one is best from Lupo/Polo, 106/206/306, Saxo, Corsa/Astra or Civic. Don't like Puntos, can't think what else there is.

I went from a 1.2 16v Clio to a 1.4 8v 206 (55 Plate, all the nice extras/colour coding etc) and i must say, its a grower. Kinda like it now. Pulls much nicer.

Aye mine is decent power-wise (except in fifth) and it will happily sit in the outside lane of the motorway, but it's just expensive and getting old.

I'd get a diesel mate there cheaper to run and 80 is pretty quick iirc

Arnt you too young to drive skinny?

Can't afford one really. Can't find an 80 for less than £3,000 and even the 65 is pushing £2,500.

Last edited:
Yeah i looked at focus. The 1.8 TDCI seems good, nippy too apparently, might be worth blagging a drive in one.

Erm, 106's, saxo VTR.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Think I'll just keep my eye out for either a 1.4 or possibly a 1.8tdci. If not I'm sure I can put up with the 1.6. :p

SG9 Forester STi
I love my 1.4, nippy when you need to be and a good drive :) Wont be selling mine til March next year though, when I get my RS :p

Ian

Focus TDCi
I love my 1.4, nippy when you need to be and a good drive :) Wont be selling mine til March next year though, when I get my RS :p

Lol I really need to move, Manchester postcode at least doubles any insurance quote. Good to hear the 1.4 is alright though; not having a job, or knowing if I'm going to get one, isn't sitting well with me at the moment.

BMW M135I
ive got a 1.4 16v and tbh they can be quite fun, mines lowered and was when i bought it but its good in the corners with a decent amount of punch as well. They can easily stay with a sxi astra as my mate has one and evens beats it to 60 but for a small car they are good.
Econmically wise i get 40 mpg on a steady run on a roads not tried motorways alot but get roughly 44 when i did for a bit. like other people say, get a decent punch at 3.5k revs for overtaking so its a good comprimise between economy and decent power
im selling mine at 1400 at the moment but mine as body work damage on the rear wheel arch from someone reversing into me but thats the only problem, everything underneath has been sorted, bearings, tracking etc and only body damage which isnt majorly noticable unto quite close or when cleaning

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ideally I'd be looking for one that is as straight as possible. If there's one thing I've learnt from my current car it's that if you take the chance of getting a cheap car then you shouldn't be surprised when you find out everything needs fixing, lol.

Feel free to send me some photos/details if you like though. If it's got FSH, cambelt changed, 2 keys etc then I might consider it. Shame about it being the rear panel though - not an easy fix.

BMW M135I
Ideally I'd be looking for one that is as straight as possible. If there's one thing I've learnt from my current car it's that if you take the chance of getting a cheap car then you shouldn't be surprised when you find out everything needs fixing, lol.

Feel free to send me some photos/details if you like though. If it's got FSH, cambelt changed, 2 keys etc then I might consider it. Shame about it being the rear panel though - not an easy fix.

yea i know, whole side mainly needs doing because of it, thats why i bought it back because i needed the car at the time and it was still driveable so did that and got all legal requirements done, vic check etc, ill try take some pics for you to browse, could do with putting it up on here tbh, its got fsh etc just 1 key as that wht it had when i bought it