ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Revival

Project Mk1 Clio
And so it begins, after being given my 1.2 mk1 clio oasis i have been struggling what to do with it, originally the idea was to 16v rep it, all well and good until i found out that the base model mk1's have a shallower body than the 16v so putting the front end on would look a tad wrong compared to the back. Now i am totally at a loss as to what look to go for, thinking maybe rsi may be the only way to go, however any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Day of arrival

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

Conniseurs amongst you will notice the large dent in the rear quarter, fortunately most of this popped out so a little smoothing is all thats needed, started yesterday but weather turned a bit pants so had to cut it short...

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

And as she is today....

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

But as i previously mentioned i dont really know what to do with it, thinking 16v interior adding the creature comforts, central locking, leccy windows 16v dials etc, colour coded bumpers, off rsi possibly, de lock and smooth tailgate, respray in original colour, lowered and turbine wheels, However any suggestions are welcome!!!! Also at a loss on what to do engine wise, originally was thinking 1.8 16v but was wondering whether a. I could fit a 2.0l in or b. 1.4 turbo form r5. Anyways kinda rambling for now, will keep the thread updated and would appreciate any tips or tricks and any offers of parts that i need!

Clio IV 0,9 Tce
You know the front wide arches from a 16V is just plastic and a straight swap over. Quite a few people have build 16V reps without the wide rear arches. You little car got potential

M

mini-valver

Is this going to be your daily driver?? If you're respraying it, it's only £2-300 to have rear valver arches welded in.....

Project Mk1 Clio
Yeah will be my daily driver once its done, Welding in the rear arches sounds like the best option if i wanna go through with the 16v rep, however i'm doing all the work myself and wanna keep costs down, while i'm pretty good with a welder dunno if i wanna tackle the quarters, anyone got any pics of 16v front ends on base models? still think it will look a bit odd. Other option is to get the rsi bumpers and just lower and wheel it.

1.8 8v RSi
idea for you...
theres some aftermarket rear wide arches for £250 from a body kit called millenium....put those on only

Project Mk1 Clio
Small update, decided against the rear arches, sleeper/euro is gonna be the look me thinks! So got to work on the drivers side dents for now, pretty much done there, gonna start proper on the passenger side once the weather clears up! Advice: dont have a project car on a farm! stupid farm gate caused the dent in the first place and trying to fill and paint on a dusty drive in the wind is a waste of time! Gonna hire one of the barns to work in i reckon! Anyway here's the driver rear arch, not much for now, Poss got my interior sorted, Need some more advice though guys!

1. Need to get hold of a full leccy window and central locking loom for the doors and inside the car plus motors and the mechanisms, once i done this and ideas how to fit?

2. Wanna lower by 55mm any advice on doing the torsion, read how to do it but it always looks easy in a book any tips/tricks apprecaited!

3. Swapping bumpers - Colour coded rt ones or something but will any mk1 bumpers fit (i.e phase 1, 2 or 3) or just phase 1 ones?

4. Side strips, colour code? black ones to break the lines of the car a bit? or smooth?

5. Turbines? hot or not?

6. 16v interior wont require any mods, will it???

7. For insurance reasons prob gonna settle on a 1.6 or 1.4 for now, is this an easy swap, what extras will i need (i.e loom, ecu etc ) or can i just swap it over and plug it in! Best car to get this from????

Thanks for your input!!!!!

Update pics...
DSC00194.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

Ha ha a happy worker is a good worker!..............apparently!

DSC00192.jpg

ST1050, 320d
a man of the piercings i see, good good. let me know how the lowering gets on if you wouldnt mind man, i need to attempt it in summer if i can think of an easy way to do it =/ should be a cool lil project

Rb 182
Valver interior will fit straight in no worries.

Engine, get everything you can, or even better get a doner car as you can then go back and take anything you need, will save more money in the long run.

Get an E7j (1.4 8v from an Rt)

Your plans seem good if you need any info on the bar give me a shout, i have done a few.

:)

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
1. Need to get hold of a full leccy window and central locking loom for the doors and inside the car plus motors and the mechanisms, once i done this and ideas how to fit?

2. Wanna lower by 55mm any advice on doing the torsion, read how to do it but it always looks easy in a book any tips/tricks apprecaited!

3. Swapping bumpers - Colour coded rt ones or something but will any mk1 bumpers fit (i.e phase 1, 2 or 3) or just phase 1 ones?

4. Side strips, colour code? black ones to break the lines of the car a bit? or smooth?

5. Turbines? hot or not?

6. 16v interior wont require any mods, will it???

7. For insurance reasons prob gonna settle on a 1.6 or 1.4 for now, is this an easy swap, what extras will i need (i.e loom, ecu etc ) or can i just swap it over and plug it in! Best car to get this from????

Thanks for your input!!!!!
1. Fitting is easy, door card off, then swap the old wind up for the electrics, you need the looms all the way to the door to make them work. Also electric switches and a new door card pocket.

2.Easy to do, ive now watched two people do it, large socket, nut and a large bolt. Works great for doing it.

3. Any mark 1 phase will fit, however, phase 3 bumpers means you have to change your bonnet. The Ph3 is bug eyed lights and the bonnet is different. There is an all in one grill unlike phase 1 and 2.

4. If the car is white, black and white split it very nicely.

Example is my car, red and black, suits it nicely.

5.Hot. If you did them black or white a theme could come out of your car.

6. straight swap.

7. I believe if you swap an engine for say one with an ecu that needs to come too. The ECU needs to be reprogrammed for the engine to work. Most people cut engines and give the ecu with it for projects.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
3. Any mark 1 phase will fit, however, phase 3 bumpers means you have to change your bonnet. The Ph3 is bug eyed lights and the bonnet is different. There is an all in one grill unlike phase 1 and 2.

the only 'difference' with the ph3 is that is has the grill integrated... the bonnets are all the same

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Agreed with dave, they are different, the light sockets on the ph3 is more rounded as apose to the more box shape of the ph1 & 2 light sockets!

1.8 8v RSi
ph 1/2 is a bumper n bonnet with squarer headlights
ph3 is rounded headlights and bumper with a grill

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator

the only 'difference' with the ph3 is that is has the grill integrated... the bonnets are all the same
Bonnets are not the same. Bonnets are cut differently on the phase 3, like i said. The lights are different also.

The Ph3 bonnets are diff from the ph1/2
Winner. The lights are different as i said too.

Agreed with dave, they are different, the light sockets on the ph3 is more rounded as apose to the more box shape of the ph1 & 2 light sockets!
As i said also.

ph 1/2 is a bumper n bonnet with squarer headlights
ph3 is rounded headlights and bumper with a grill
As i said the bonnet is shaped differently because of the bug eyed lights.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
^^^ Alright, Alright!! we were just saying. Agree with what ur saying but chill out other ppl are aloud to have their say aswel pal!

U must be extremely bored to go through it all and multi quote every bugger thats said anything on this thread!

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
^^^ Alright, Alright!! we were just saying. Agree with what ur saying but chill out other ppl are aloud to have their say aswel pal!

U must be extremely bored to go through it all and multi quote every bugger thats said anything on this thread!
Yep, indeed i am bored. Im waiting to get my stupid clio back from the garage.

Phase 1
Double Grill, also lights are square
Clio_Chipie_T.jpg

Phase 2
Single Grill, also lights are square
844491_12.jpg

Phase 3
Integrated grill, also bonnet is sweeped more at sides, lights are different.
clio-30-01-08_02.jpg

'92 172, Lotus Elise
sorry, what i meant bonnet wise was that you can fit the ph3 bumper to any phase bonnet

or fit any phase bonnet to the ph3 bumper (lights permitting)

Project Mk1 Clio
Excellent, thanks for the info guys ( and the comedy banter ) Feeling another black and white theme coming on, already decided on black wheels, just like my last 2 cars!
13032007001.jpg
14102006.jpg

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Lol i wouldnt admit that u used to drive a corsa on here if i wer u, ull get slated as being a "chav" soon! Bit both look smart though mate..

Project Mk1 Clio
Lol desperate times desperate measures! lol i went through a little vaux phase, sold the corsa and used the money to go travelling though so weren't all bad! lol Damn snow, cant get anything done! Still dads getting me a big marquee to work in, lol

Project Mk1 Clio
Ha ha, very good! Actually it got me 6 weeks around europe, money from that ran out by the time i left romania! lol, not much progress, have been working in the snow tho so now i have a huge cold!

Project Mk1 Clio
Have you never tried naked mechanics in the snow? Its exhilerating!! Ha Ha! Right if i'm ever gonna crack on with this car i need to get a few essential parts asap! Some of you must either have these lying around or know someone who has!

1. Turbine Wheels ideally with tyres

2. Colour coded bumpers ( in White a major advantage! )

3. Suspension - F + R shocks, F Springs 55mm drop

4. 16v interior including s/wheel

5. All door electrics - Loom/ c locking motors/ window actuators and the in car loom as well

Come on guys, help me turn this into a beast!!!!

Project Mk1 Clio
Jesus! been a while since i updated this! been doing so much private work haven't had time to do anything! Honestly i feel like i've become comets official mechanic! Finally though made some progress! After a random drunken conversation with some dude in the pub the other night i managed to blag a free 1.4 RT on a K plate, Down side is that its a 5 door, still, not bad for free!

Today i got up mega late but still had time to strip the doors of the electrics, even managed to adapt the window mechanisms so that they fit into the 3 door. I did get a little cutting happy though with the loom inside of the car, couldnt get the door looms out in once piece so just chopped them, anyone have any idea where the wires need to go? Only need to hook up the windows and central locking.

Also from the car i'm gonna rob the engine, clocks and bumpers, anyone have any advice on doing this? i've only done one engine swap before and that was like for like, what else am i gonna have to rob to put into the 1.2 as i'm upping (is that even a word?) to the 1.4. Gonna strip it before i put it in though as its fairly high mileage, was gonna do head gasket, check the rockers and valves are okay prob just re seat them, cambelt then the usuals, plugs leads etc etc Anything else that i need to look for. Promise will update with some pics soon, any advice welcome!!!