ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 Ph3????

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1.6 16v
What are your views on these clios??

Reliable, etc??
Average price for a good one, stuff like that?

Cheers steve

do you mean mk3, phase 1?

I've got a phase 1 172 and i love it, i like the look of the front better than the phase 2 but not the interior or wheels! i've had no problem with mine but dont know anyone else who has one!

my friends consider me to be having a mid life crisis having a 172 (i'm 36)!

1.6 16v
No RENAULT CLIO MK1 PHASE 3, its the facelift model to the Mk1 Phase2.

I have a Mk2 Ph3 and i am wondering what the Mk1 Ph3 is like??

Steve

Mk1 1.4RT
I love my MK1 Ph3. She's the most basic model they did with no extras but doesn't matter.
Bought her 2.5years ago with 38,000 miles and 2 previous owners.
She now has just over 80,100 miles on her, over 40,000 of (almost) trouble free motoring!
Only trouble I've ever had with her is the exhaust, had to replace all but the cat in the first year which wasn't particularly expensive at the time. (£50 ish for the back box and middle pipe and £<50 for the down pipe some months later) This week its started blowing again, sounds like a tank atm. Shoulda got a decent system the first time around I guess.

Not modified her in any way except for retro-fitting front fog lights and adding an alarm. Had a 2nd hand K&N induction kit on for a while but didn't like it.

So theres my experience with em.

Last edited:
  Chocolate Bar™
why are you after a mk1 ph3? i assume its not for u lol.

True True. Just wanted a review on these because the girlfriend wants a clio! But we are not spending to much because i need mods for mine still lol

:)

ahhh thought that may be the case. Girlfriends friend had an oasis, speedo was mental on it, wouldnt stop wobbling lol. Never had any problems other than that though

1.6 16v
I love my MK1 Ph3. She's the most basic model they did with no extras but doesn't matter.
Bought her 2.5years ago with 38,000 miles and 2 previous owners.
She now has just over 80,100 miles on her, over 40,000 of (almost) trouble free motoring!
Only trouble I've ever had with her is the exhaust, had to replace all but the cat in the first year which wasn't particularly expensive at the time. (£50 ish for the back box and middle pipe and £<50 for the down pipe some months later) This week its started blowing again, sounds like a tank atm. Shoulda got a decent system the first time around I guess.

Not modified her in any way except for retro-fitting front fog lights and adding an alarm. Had a 2nd hand K&N induction kit on for a while but didn't like it.

So theres my experience with em.

Sounds very good IMO, not much gone wrong with her really then.

Thank you for a decent reply.:)

Steve

car? need a license 1st!
Hi Steve,

I had a beautiful Mk1 Ph3 1.4RT in dark green. Amazing car and loved every second I spent driving it. Very comfortable, easy to drive.

The RT comes with all the extras (leccy windows/mirrors/sunroof, power steering). Personally I prefer the look of them over the ph1 and 2s, the front is a bit more subtle and it works well.

Things to look out for:

- Clutch cable, I've owned 3 mk1 clios, and all 3 of them had to have the clutch cable replaced at some point. There is a small hoop at the top of the pedal, which the cable runs through. Make sure it's running through there and not over it. If the clutch pedal is hard to press then there is a problem. It's not hard to fix through it is a 2 man job.

- Wheel bearings, these don't tend to have a long life span on mk1s, well all the ones i've owned (not sure whether that might be something to do with me ;)).

- Leaky Sunroof, although this was never a problem for me, I know it can be a common problem on mk1 clios.

Other than that, I didn't really have any problems with them. I still think they're an awsome car and I'll be looking at getting another when I get my license back.

Good luck fella

car? need a license 1st!
True True. Just wanted a review on these because the girlfriend wants a clio! But we are not spending to much because i need mods for mine still lol

:)

ahhh thought that may be the case. Girlfriends friend had an oasis, speedo was mental on it, wouldnt stop wobbling lol. Never had any problems other than that though

Thats the speedo cable that has come loose or stretched. Replacing it should solve the problem :)

1.6 16v
Cheers Chewy for your comments. They are starting to sound like a good little car from what you havew all said! :)

Steve

i have had one for 2 years, i love it but that maybe because its my first car.

its reliable engine wise and its not really let me down but other parts of the car make me wonder why i own it. the sunroof leeks which has fucked my immobiliser in the past, wheel bearings seem to go quite often (the wheels are suited o the car) and other minor details let it down. but on the other hand its cheap insurance, cheap on petrol, looks better or more modern than ph2 ans ph1s and if you want to upgrade parts its easy cos most parts can be took off the 16v and rsi.

I had one for my first car. In my opinion i would get the RT version with all the extra's- very comfy seats!lol.

Maybe it was just mine, but it was very un-reliable!!mainly due to the leaky sunroof ruining the electrics and central locking etc

if you find a mint one im sure itl be a nice car!!

Civic Vtec y0
I have one, its a 1.2 Provenence(sp) and its got all the extra's apart from leccy sunroof.

Dont get me wrong there good cars for the money, if you want to spend a wee bit more. I bought mine for £220 and to be fair it had its problems but I couldnt complain for £220. Also it was a young guy who owned it b4 me so im sure it got ragged all the time!

I had a really bad leaking sunroof but apart from that it was all ok! However it been poorly maintained and the cam belt needed changed and I didnt bother then it snapped last week. However tis was my own fault!

All in all I would say there great wee cars for the money, get one thats been looked after and it will last you for ages!

Thank you for giving us some useful information to consider. Would any of you suggest any other clio's or cars for a 1st car???

mk1 clio
hello mate, i love my mk1 ph3! Beautiful car, have had a few niggles but for a 12 year old car ill let it off, she runs perfectly though, always starts (touch wood) and is beautiful to drive. my first non power steering car and to be honest with you i have fallen in love with its snappy handling. I have a big bore exhaust, de-catted and it loves it, sounds better and drives better than 106s and saxo's and sounds better than my mates AXgt! The only annoying thing about the car is it has wind up windows and every so often a drip of water gets you from the sun roof but a bit of filler will solve that. Deffo a more fun car than the mk2! It has my recomendations!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'd be more than a little surprised if he is still looking for the car 3 years on.

Status
Not open for further replies.