ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 or Mk2 for first car ?

Probably pick up a decent mk2 ph1 for that money, though tbh theres gonna be little between a late mk1 ph3 and an early mk2 ph1, so buy which ever you can find the best example of.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
as above you can find some good example Mk2 Ph1 at that kind of money

Edit: the mk2 is probably more reliable imo, i fix more Mk1 that i do Mk2 lol

Clio Williams & 182
Mk1 is a lighter, more fun car, but if it were my first car I'd go for the Mk2 to start with as it is safer as mentioned already, plus less prone to fault due to age etc.

Try a Mk1 one though, and when you get more experienced and fed up of everyone overtaking you think about a good nic Mk1 1.8 16v :) Insurance is a lot higher though!

If you want reliability get a polo, either one you go for will most likely have problems being old-ish french cars

oh and try and get one without a sunroof ;)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I think the mk1 is a better looking car, but I'd assume the mk2 ph1 is safer and in 3yrs, I barely had an issue with mine, which is probably more important in a first car. I didn't have my mk1 long enough to experience any probs. Got both when I was 18 btw.

Also, you may appreciate the extra space in the mk2 if you like having passengers in the back, and I think it's a nicer place to sit.

I'd love another mk1 but would have to be a valver or williams. My 1.4 mk1 was a hoot so would love more power handling in that little shell.

172 CUP
I think i like the mk1 better but what is more reliable ?

Just to give you an idea i've had my mk2 ph1 for just short of 2 years now and the only things i've had to change due to faults are 1 coil pack and the tdc sensor, total cost of about £40

If it's for a first car get the newer of the 2 I'd say. Also as said avoid a sunroof if you can, they're nothing but a pain.