ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Golf in brief so far

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
well seeing as today is a lovely day. I went to see my little friend

906E3E19-F40C-4496-82DE-D8437CBBD07E-5637-0000025E49BB7002_zps4f0e9e08.jpg

85256B47-9679-4ECD-8BFB-BB055DCABBCB-5637-0000025E53735027_zpse82dcde6.jpg

7A08F623-CE86-4078-8C59-39F43B01562A-5637-0000025E58D0562C_zps82f61ff6.jpg

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
just srorage wheels haha.

wheels on the mx5 were ment to go on it actually.
MX5 makes sense in the sunshine

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Right then its time to sort this bugger out, Any suggestions on what engine i should go for, i want to make it a reliable funky daily. I was actually thinking fo a polo diesel engine or something.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
no, they are subframed i think. Dont want anything too powereful ( i can lift the car up by hand when its got no engine in haha)

1.6 max i think

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Right then its time to sort this bugger out, Any suggestions on what engine i should go for, i want to make it a reliable funky daily. I was actually thinking fo a polo diesel engine or something.

The old faithful 1.9 PD would get my vote, preferably the 150bhp variant, which with a remap will do 190bhp / 300lbft, and in something that light im sure 60mpg will be on the cars if driven steady, and they last about half a million miles quite happily if well maintained.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
I really need to reseatch waht fits in, i know the mk3 polo 1.4 16v bolts straight in, i already have a 5 speed box that bolts on.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
The old faithful 1.9 PD would get my vote, preferably the 150bhp variant, which with a remap will do 190bhp / 300lbft, and in something that light im sure 60mpg will be on the cars if driven steady, and they last about half a million miles quite happily if well maintained.

Whilst it might be a reasonably powerful and reliable engine, you'll have to drive round with ear plugs in, it'll be annoyingly noisy in that Golf.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Most VAG stuff is pretty interchangable.

What will you be using it for?

VR6 is a nice reliable under stressed unit that would go well in there for example, but not great on fuel.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Whilst it might be a reasonably powerful and reliable engine, you'll have to drive round with ear plugs in, it'll be annoyingly noisy in that Golf.

Lol!

Probably quiter than it is now on full throttle but not a nice noise like it makes currently.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
VR6 is a nightmare of a job, you have to cut chasis legs and all sorts, its also uber heavy.

I want to use it as a daily for a bit/ just use it, its done less than 20 miles in 4 years

Please dont go diesel!!!

Why not go for a GTi engine?

I dont know a great deal about them but the B16a seems to fit in almost anything.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Why not just use it as it is for a bit if its only done 20 miles in 4 years?

that way you can see how you like it as a daily before spending more time and money on it

GTD, Lupo
Most VAG stuff is pretty interchangable.

What will you be using it for?

VR6 is a nice reliable under stressed unit that would go well in there for example, but not great on fuel.

VR6 lump is far to heavy! It made the mk2 handling horrendous so in a mk1 it can only be worse!

Rebuilt KR (1.8 16v) would be perfect or even the ABF (2.0 16v)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
VR6 lump is far to heavy! It made the mk2 handling horrendous so in a mk1 it can only be worse!
Rebuilt KR (1.8 16v) would be perfect or even the ABF (2.0 16v)

Depends if handling is an issue though, thats why I was asking what it was going to be used for.

If she is into santapod days for example it would make sense, vr6 + gas = cheap and fast.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
the gti engines require moving the enfine mounts and tbh i want a newer more modern engine.

i cant use it as it is now, i built it... its dangerous haha. it needs completly going over especially now its stood for 2 years.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
the gti engines require moving the enfine mounts and tbh i want a newer more modern engine.

i cant use it as it is now, i built it... its dangerous haha. it needs completly going over especially now its stood for 2 years.

You dont need to completely change the engine just to make it safe though?

GTD, Lupo
Depends if handling is an issue though, thats why I was asking what it was going to be used for.

If she is into santapod days for example it would make sense, vr6 + gas = cheap and fast.

I would personally only go VR6 for the noise. Any other driving experience I would go 1.8t with k04 turbo but seeing as it needs to be small and fit I would say 9A KR or ABF but I'm more of a mk2 person so no real experience with mk1s.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
You dont need to completely change the engine just to make it safe though?

well the carbs need setting up, all the fuel lines need redoing, the engine needs to come out to tidy the bay, the manifold needs re doing, loads of little stuff and tbh id rather just do something else. Sounds a little sad but i want this to be my car, my ex made alot of desicions about what was happening to it engine wise and e really got no say in the matter so id like to start again and sort it all.

If you drive it 20 miles in a year, why not make them 20 miles count. Put something like everyone has said GTi engine or VR6. It might be work but it will pay off in the end. Theres no point in doing an engine swap if you're going to make it a normal dirve.
Do it
Do it
Do it!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i want it to be a normal drive, i want to be able to drive it to work, to see my bro down south etc.

When i drove it to my garage i lost 2nd gear and my indicators...and thats 4 miles from my house lol

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Fit your ex under the bonnet? Might stop you mentioning him. He could flintstone you to work.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
I dont think ive mentioned this ex much on here actually. Maybe the recent one but this guy dissapreared a good while ago. Just a reason for wanting to do things the way i want to.

Im thinking keep it simple and go with the Polo engine, can pick up a full car for cheaps. :D