ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk1 172, the best one?

Lionel Richie
I currently have Clart's car in for brake issues (they don't work) and suspension issues

i took it for a spin earlier to try to figure out the suspension problems

i found a few issues here and there, nowt too major (tracking is way out)

but f**k a duck, how much do i love mk1 172's!!! even though this car needs some mechanical work, i can honestly say its THE most enjoyable RS clio to drive IMO!! turn in is super dooper sharp (good considering the tracking is out), engine is bang on, gearbox is stunning!!

absolutley awesome car (dangerous comment coming up) i enjoyed driving it way more than the Trophy!

VaVa
Horses for courses I guess.

I didn't find there to be much between the ph1 and ph2. Ph2 was a bit firmer and I preferred the gear ratios in the ph2. Ultimately I made my decision on looks. Disliked the interior and exterior of the ph1. You pays your money you takes your choice.

I guess the 15" wheels help with the turn in.

172 cup'd extreme
gearbox is much much better than mk2's mine used to do 145 with mk1 box now will only do 135

I have owned a mk1 172 and from that went to a 182. In all honestly I really missed the 172, it was just more enjoyable to drive. If I had to say which I liked the best my vote would go to the mk1 172!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
never driven one so can't comment. MK2 interior is miles better though, but I appreciate it's not all about that.

mk1 172
see......i told you all !!! lol
i still get so much enjoyment out of my mk1, even if im driving to the shops....i smile constantly !
good thing is.....a lot of the corsa and nova boys dont know what it is capable of.......until they get behind me or try to overtake !

Scirocco GT 210
Well I used to like my ph1, but ever since it had a cambelt change it makes a horrible noise when I floor it in first :( Took the edge of things :(

Focus ST
I've always liked the Phase 1's and in some ways prefer the look to the Phase 2 MkII's.

This is besides the point, but am I right in thinking that they all came with a colour stitched 'Renaultsport' logo instead of just grey? I don't know why they stopped doing that, looks much better!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
there's pro's and cons of both really. The phase 1 dash is truely shocking, but they feel so good to drive you get get over it. I'd love some xenons though :(

VaVa
16v_jon said:
gearbox is much much better than mk2's mine used to do 145 with mk1 box now will only do 135

I prefer a gearbox that gets me to 135 quickly, rather than taking forever to get to 145!! When do you ever do 145mph?!

I found the ph1 sluggish in 4th and 5th. Just too long.

And xenons are the bomb. I don't think they are necessarily any more effective than standard headlamps, but they look beautiful.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
thats a stupid arguement - when do u ever do 135?

phase 1's are quicker, and have a better throttle response, thats all u need to know.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Congratulations for starting World War 3 Fred...... :clown:

^^^ lol . just got mine back from a 36k service and the guy who owns the the garage said he loves the mk1 the best

Lionel Richie
xenons! why do people need them? they're the most annoying thing when you're driving down the motorway at night, you could go blind!

i'm sticking to my guns here, th mk1 172 is a proper drivers car out of the box, its worth considering if you're scared of the fact the cups don't have ABS

plus they're so cheap now

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Dont they have the same front end setup as the Mk2 172?

So any advantage from a handling / turn in point of view it must be down to tyres / wheel size, and possibly weight distribution?

VaVa
Nik said:
Dont they have the same front end setup as the Mk2 172?

So any advantage from a handling / turn in point of view it must be down to tyres / wheel size, and possibly weight distribution?

No, spring and damper rates were also 'improved'. Depends what you like I guess.

VaVa
Clart said:
thats a stupid arguement - when do u ever do 135?

phase 1's are quicker, and have a better throttle response, thats all u need to know.

I was making the point of the gear ratios being shorter in general.

If your phase 1 is quicker than my phase 2 I'll bear my arse in Woolworths window. I'm willing to bet there wouldn't be gnats c**k between them.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Williams is better. ;)

15's are the way to go. my 182 lives on 15's

as for 145mph in a mk2 172 you would be lucky!! ive done 141mph and it took me about 7 miles to do it on an autobahn.

Megane Mk4
The mk1 was better point to point but if I could have the 182 suspension/steering setup in the mk1 it would be fast as well as corner crazy :D

Don't fred, I'm gutted as it is for part-ex'ing my mk1 172 for the 182...

*strums through auto trader* ;)

ChrisCurr

ClioSport Club Member
  RenaultSport clio 17
Phase 1 everytime, Aluminium bonnet 0-60 6.6 sec!! definately the one to have!!Awesome look from head on. Only let down is the dash, small price to pay.