ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk1 1.8 valver .......fast ?

so how does the mk1 clio 1.8 valver perform

im currenlty driving a astra coupe 2.2 and its a sack of s**t !

my mate has a1.6gti and he beats my asss everytime which is so dissapointing also one of the reason im selling up

how would the clio match up to the gti 106

cheers everyone

scott

Saxo VTS
Tbh, I don't think they're fast.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't slow, just not amazing quick off the mark. I suppose they do look lush though and are a little bit special (not as special as a Williams mind)

I'm pretty sure a 106 GTi is quicker to 60, but doesn't look as good :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
the valver and and gti are about the same mate...i would say the valver takes it on looks though so i would go for one of them....the gti may be slightly quicker off the mark but when you get to 4k rpm you should start to see a bit of a difference....

both lovely cars though...

WRX Sti
Well,I allways find Valvers surprisingly quick.
137bhp in such a liteweight car gives good performance.On par with a 106GTI imo.

my past experences (not racing on a public road of course!;)) are that the 106 gti's are quicker....
not by much but do just about take it!!

but if it's a choice of the two it's always the Clio for looks etc :)

Street Triple R
as always there are good and bad ones but i had the opportunity to drive the 106 and the valver back to back once and from my experience the 106 is slightly quicker, not a massive amount in it though

LY 200
Ummm i would say the gti will pip it but wont be a major pasting..........The valvers are very rev happy though.

Just buy my 2.0 valver then you'l be able to beat him.......Tried and tested!!! ;)

cheers everyone

im not really looking for top end just a nippy and fun car and the 106gti has both thats why i ask about the valver ,

the valver for looks wins hands down , im sure with the right mods the valver will hopefully be quicker :D

Saxo VTS
Yeah a Valver is good fun, I can agree on that.

You have to rev it the correct way from my experiences.

If you feed the throttle correctly and get in a few good gear changes, you'll be doing 90Mph fairly sharpish.

A valver won't be any faster than your current 2.2 Astra, valvers will struggle with your average 2.0 rep barge, 30 mph +. Why not buy a 106 GTi, much nicer car imho.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i don't agree neil...i think the valver would easily see off the atsra coupe...the astra is a very heavy car..the clio is extremly light really...but he does not want to compare a valver to astra so we have both had our opinions..if they are not agreed then we shall leave it before another..my cars quicker than your cars thread starts..lol

Vee dub
valver and 106 gti are both sweet hot hatches imho

maybe the 106 is slightly quicker.....

both class little motors

535d / t5 caravelle
a valver driven properly through the rev range will piss on your "average" rep car 2.0...no problem, just keep it revved up, and you'll pull away!

Neil82cup said:
A valver won't be any faster than your current 2.2 Astra, valvers will struggle with your average 2.0 rep barge, 30 mph +. Why not buy a 106 GTi, much nicer car imho.

valvers are faster than cups... much

Snotter's
There pretty much on par,valvers look better but imo the gti handles better.In terms of speed the gti would just nip it but as said you get good and bad cars.The valvers still have a wow factor which the 106 doesnt,final point is bits are cheaper for the 106

hmm, never actually driven a 106GTI, but the 205GTI which is meant to handle amazing is pants. Crap chassis with no feel of limits and one minute you seem to have a load of grip, the next your in a hedge which seems to be a common Pug handling characteristic... as is uncontrollable lift off oversteer. If as people say it's like a smaller 205GTI then there's no way I can see it even being anywhere near as good in the handling dept

Snotter's
Imo and driving both back to back on a regular basis the 106/saxo is much better but then again i also think the 205 gti is one of the best handling cars,its almost as good as my saxo and im running cup spec coilovers

535d / t5 caravelle
had a couple of 205 gti's, 1.6 and 1.9, the 1.6 handled better, my clio 16v handled the best of all, although that was on koni's and the 2 pugs where standard, so cant reall say, but...............i did push a 106 gti around silverstone at trax2000, and then left him once i got passed, the only thing to give me a good do, was an integra type r, and that didn't go anywhere, we just had a proper good go, for several laps, so i'd go for the valver over a pug.