ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 1.4 - gain 25hp?

MK1 Clio 1.4
Hi,

Just wanted to know, how could i squeeze 25hp out of the mk1 1.4 e7j engine, fairly cheap?

I know the basics like intake and straight through exhaust but that would probably only gain me about 10hp right? (with map)

are there any mystical oem parts i can swap into mine to gain a few hp?

Are there any aftermarket cams for this engine?

How much would a straight up remap get me?

for the cost would i be better throwing in a 1.8 or 2.0 out of another clio?

I'm only looking to reach about 100hp

thanks for any replies :) much appreciated

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Forget it, you'll be spending thousands to get an extra 25bhp out of that. Sell up and buy something more powerful.

you won't get 10bhp from an exhaust and filter, a map is going to get you 1 or 2 bhp at most (that's if anyone even maps them)

MK1 Clio 1.4
Forget it, you'll be spending thousands to get an extra 25bhp out of that. Sell up and buy something more powerful.

you won't get 10bhp from an exhaust and filter, a map is going to get you 1 or 2 bhp at most (that's if anyone even maps them)

Right i didn't have high hopes tbh seeing as i can barely even find parts for the engine online.

You wouldn't even suggest an engine swap though?

I've not long got the car so selling up and buying more powerful isn't an option yet, i wanted to make a bit of a "rallye" of my clio i.e. lightly stripped, steel wheels and 100hp thinking it will tide me over until i can get something much faster in a year or two's time.

thanks for your input though

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
If you want 100hp cheap then buy a 306 Dturbo and turn the fuel pump up.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Sell up, and buy something a bit more powerful and use the money you would of spent on mods on insurance on the more powerful car

clio dci , ren8
Now for a more sensible reply :rolleyes: the single point injection limits the mk 1 engine so the only way to get more power from it is to improve the fueling . Or find yourself a clio 1.8 rsi borrow the wiring harness ecu & pipework , then mate that to a laguna 2litre engine & box & map to your hearts content ;) but this will not be cheap & your about 10 years late lol

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Now for a more sensible reply :rolleyes: the single point injection limits the mk 1 engine so the only way to get more power from it is to improve the fueling . Or find yourself a clio 1.8 rsi borrow the wiring harness ecu & pipework , then mate that to a laguna 2litre engine & box & map to your hearts content ;) but this will not be cheap & your about 10 years late lol

How is this any more sensible than what myself and the others suggested?

clio dci , ren8
Your self and others have been very negative , if the person in question would like to modify there car then that is up to them & what they are asking for is help not negative comments :nono: after all we were all young once lol

clio dci , ren8
Being full of it hasn't lol still every body is a expert on here its a wonder there is a need for garages .

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
You can get power out of any engine but you have to be prepared to spend. There used to be a 1360cc Peugeot at the sprints I did that ran a 16v head, throttle bodies and ran to 9000rpm with a heavily modded bottom end. You can get another 25bhp from a 1.4. Head work, cams and vastly improve the fuelling but it will cost you more than a car with 100bhp and be as much hassle as if not more so than an engine swap. Fiddle by all means. I did it's how I learnt but there is a reason people go the tried and tested routes. They generally work best.

Evo
25bhp wet shot of nitrous, roughly £400 for the system and a full bottle will have an endurance of around 8 minutes ( 11lb bottle ).

At a mere 25bhp it'll be more than safe for that engine aswell.

Listerine & Poledo
take your car to the garage and they should be able to swap the relevant parts over to make the car faster. Parts such as:-

The entire car.

Seriously fella, you're onto a hiding trying to make that clio of yours any more than a chavved-up shopping trolley.

Dependin on your finances, have you considered maybe a DCi clio? From what I've heard on this forum over the years, they're a lower-tax, lower-insurance alternative which you can get decent gains out of for not a vast sum of money