ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mixing oil

clio182
Hi, i currently have pro power gold 5/40 fully synthetic oil in my 182 but it needs topping up,my mrs has given me a full bottle of castrol edge 5w-30 fully synthetic and i was wondering if it would be ok to use to top it up ? thanks in advance

Mix brands, but dont mix grades of oil, or fully with semi synth etc. So the short answer is No!.

However!!, If you were absolutely desperate, and it was running well below dipstick then ANY oil is better than no oil......

I'd just bang it in personally.

Im sure there will be others that will come along and say its the ultimate sin, or you will lose 1bhp or something.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Have mixed many times - race cars, track cars, road cars - with no issues.

Mix brands, but dont mix grades of oil, or fully with semi synth etc. So the short answer is No!.

However!!, If you were absolutely desperate, and it was running well below dipstick then ANY oil is better than no oil......

This.^^^^

Yes it will be ok to mix 5w -40 and 5w-30 to get you out of the s**t, long term is a no no.
oilman

A4 Quattro, 172+182
I would never EVER ...!! Mix oil. Like Martin said, maybe as a last resort t get u out th s**t but then it would all b dropped at th soonest possible time.

Clio Sport 2000
Different oil grades are miscible fluids so the final result is that you will have an oil mix with an intermediate oil viscosity...so I don't see any trouble mixing different grades.