ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mixing engine oil brands

Trophy is run on elf 5w40 and I noticed it was a little bit low so I've bought some 'Triple QX' 5w40 on my way to work to top it up as I couldn't find anywhere that sold elf.

I've put a load in but will it definitely be alright? I don't aee why not but I just like to be sure. I've bought some elf and a filter to do a change but for the mean time it'll be running on mixed.

Also it's on 107k and seems to be using quite a lot of oil, but I suppose it always has done in my ownership. No obvious leaks or anything but very black tailpipes. Is that common?

X

As long as its the same viscosity and grade it will be fine. Are both fully synthetic?

Oil use doesnt seem to be a big feature of these engines, but with all engines some do and some dont. How much is a lot?

RB Clio 182
It should be fine mate but you might get experts telling you differently, 5w40 oil is 5w40 oil aslong as its fully synthetic it should be fine.

The black exhaust tips is more like its running rich causing this, like a build up of soot through the unburnt fuel.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It'll be fine, some oil is better than no oil.

Some engines are very pickey about the oil that go's in them, but IMO any decent fully-synth of the right grade will do for the Clio.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I've had a few clios now and none have needed topping up of oil..I'm sure a mix will be ok. Personally I wouldn't do it but I'm just a sad b*****d

Haha that's good to hear then, I just didn't want a 3rd Clio engine failing because of oil related issues. 😌