ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Missfire - Injector 2 & 3 not working!?

Wonder if anyone has any ideas on where to start with a problem I'm having with my Clio 172 Cup, what started off like a spark related missfire appears to be fueling. Just to give you an idea on the current status of the car; the plugs, leads and coil pack have all been replaced, there is a healthy spark on all 4 cylinders and there's good compression across the board.

When I checked the new plugs to see how the car is running I can see that cylinder 1 & 4 plugs are 'doing something' due to the carbon on them however cylinder 2 & 3 are still clean, swapped plugs over between 2/3 and 1/4 and this is still the same, so its not faulty plugs either. As far as I can see there's fueling to 1 & 4 but not the other 2 cylinders, the car simply runs on 2 cylinders at all times.

My next steps are;

- Listen to the injectors to see if they 'click' whilst the car is running.
- Test the resistance of the injectors.
- Test the pulse and maybe continuity to the injectors.

But before I do all this I wondered if there's any known faults that can occur that would cause number 2 and 3 injectors not to fire? If not does anyone know the resistance figures of the injectors, how to test the pulse and what pins from the ECU link to the injectors?

Any help is greatly appreciated as this has got me baffled, surely 2 injectors wouldn't just fail, the car was running fine then the next time I went to it, it wasn't.

If it makes any odds the car mileage is 89,000 and has just done 1,300 flawless miles across Europe.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
injectors are knackered, and its the two pots with the black sooty plugs that are at fault

If you want to be double sure - take the fuel rail shield off and swap the plugs on 3 and 4 around - if it suddenly starts fuelling on different cylinders then it could be an ecu/wiring fault. But it's more likely to be dodgy injectors I suspect

If it was 1 and 4 at fault then why when I disconnect 2 and 3 HT leads do I see no change? Maybe two are failing and two are dead? Hopefully got a fuel rail plus 4 injectors on route (£FOC off a very kind CS member) so will see how it goes once I've fitted that.

Good call on swapping the injector plugs, only just took the fuel rail cover off and realised how much more room there is with it off!