ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire on number 3 cylinder- changed plugs leads, checked coilpack, injectors.

Clio 172 Phase II
all it says is something like 'misfire on number 3 cylinder'....according to the bloke I took it too to get it checked.

Clio 172 Phase II
yes, sorry, I should have said.. the misfire is intermittent...it comes and goes, but it is mostly misfiring. It's just around 20% of the time that it isn't misfiring.

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
still check the compressions. Could be low rather than none existent.

All an engine needs is spark, fuel and compression. If you have them all then try check the timing.

Clio 172 Phase II
yes, thanks folks.. I did think that it was an injector as I have had the exact same thing happen before. Due to time factors (and personal skill deficiency), I have given it to someone else to look at. I guess he should have the same thinking and check the compression next.

Clio 172 Phase II
oh yes, and the engine management light flashes intermittently too, although not necessarily at the same time as the misfire happens.

The same thing happened to our 182 about 2weeks ago, management light kept flickering on & off but the car ran fine then one day it started misfiring, plugged the rs tuner in & it was injector #3 at fault, changed it over & its spot on now, runs loads better & the lights stayed off.

Clio 172 Phase II
Thanks Craig; appreciate the response.
The same thing happened to our 182 about 2weeks ago, management light kept flickering on & off but the car ran fine then one day it started misfiring, plugged the rs tuner in & it was injector #3 at fault, changed it over & its spot on now, runs loads better & the lights stayed off.

I had a similar thing on mine and couldn't find anything wrong with 3 but plug 2 looked wet . Then I was told that number 1 is gearbox end not cambelt end as the scanner said num 3 missfire I thought the machine was wrong untill I was told this. Changed the injector and problem solved. Then thought sod it and replaced all the injectors for new. Just encase

Clio 172 Phase II
Yeah.... I am wondering if the garage's fault code reader has been misinterpreted. It seemed like quite a generic/old reader.
I had a similar thing on mine and couldn't find anything wrong with 3 but plug 2 looked wet . Then I was told that number 1 is gearbox end not cambelt end as the scanner said num 3 missfire I thought the machine was wrong untill I was told this. Changed the injector and problem solved. Then thought sod it and replaced all the injectors for new. Just encase

Clio 172 Phase II
Yeah, I mentioned that to them after reading that somewhere on the forum. In truth, I am not sure the guy I took it to had a lot of time/inclination to look very deeply at the issue. I have got it back now and am going to take it to someone different. It's definitely not something I can personally deal with very effectively now. I may have to start looking at ads for Ignis Sports
They do know that number 3 cylinder in counted from the flywheel end right?