ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire , but what diagnostic scanner should i use?

Arctic Blue 182
Hello,

ive got a misfire on my 182 but before i bought it i was told that he scanned the car and it came up with "cylinder 1 misfire . I plugged in my cheapo u480 scanner and it said 1 fault "N/A".

I want to see what the error actually is but i don't want to buy a "clip" or something really expensive i just want to know what the fault actually is , so what scanners do you guys recommend?

regards Daniel....

172 cup
I have an obd 2, they are about £18 on ebay ! Come in handy quite a few times !
Why didnt they sort it out before u bought it ?

Arctic Blue 182
The guy claimed to know nothing about cars , and at £2000 it was worth a punt im just trying to sort it all out now, it was from swansea so you might know it as its got a tax disk from here , its a 04 arctic blue 182?

SQ5
Saw that, I'd imagine an injector.

But get it on a proper diagnostics machine. Snap on or similar

Arctic Blue 182
i know they wont pin point the exact fault , i just want a scanner that will tell me what the fault is eg what cylinder it is misfiring in

SQ5
Well it can only be ht leads, coil pack, injectors or spark plugs.

You can easily find out what cylinder it is by unplugging one injector or ht lead at a time. You've been told its number one so it probably is, but its easy to check without a scanner, and that scanner will not tell you and that's guaranteed!

Arctic Blue 182
yeah i agree with that , but the car has a very slight misfire on idle only but other than that it runs fine, so maybe difficult to pin point the problem?

SQ5
Not difficult at all.

Pull each ht lead off and see which one doesn't make a difference to the running. Make sure your hands aren't near metal as you may get a shock otherwise.

You'll be able to then pin point a cylinder. They go 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 from left to right, and the corresponding number is on the coil pack.

The coil pack is one piece so its worth trying another one of these first to see if it goes.

If not replace corresponding HT lead, worth doing a full set as only £50 from Renault. If still there then its a spark plug, its also worth changing these while HT leads are off as they're a bit annoying to change. You will want genuine NGK PFRE - 6 which are available from Renault for about £30-40 a set I believe, worth doing the set.

If after all this it's still misfiring then your test in the injectors wasn't correct but they're also cheap from Renault.