ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mintex wheel bearing - lasted 8 months??

Clio 182
Anyone else had any issue with these? Got the discs and bearings changed on the 182 at the end of October last year, now it's droning away all the bloody time (99% sure it's the rears, certainly sounds like it's coming from there but no heat or anything being generated). Could there be any particular reason for premature failure other than s**t quality?

Renault clio 2005
Should Not fail so quickly When I took Mine in for replacement bearing garage said main cause of failure is water ingress could be driving through floods that messed mine up.Please don`t replace bot at same time That is a waste of money they wear at different rates and one can be bad and other can be perfect.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Not refitting the little spacer/washer that should be present behind the rear discs and correct way round. Also not retorque ing the rear hub nut to 175nm. Both these things will lead to premature bearing failure mate

Clio 182
hhhhmmmmm I wonder if the spacer was accidentally put in back to front then. I know (and trust) the guy that did the work so that's maybe most likely, the spacers were definitely put back on. As he's usually a truck mechanic getting the torque on wasn't a problem :eek:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sometimes, if someone isn't familiar with the 172, they will remove the rear disc and the bearing will be stuck to it and it looks flush and all one piece, they then fit the new disc without it and are none the wiser..

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine went through two lots that the previous owner had fitted in the space of 7 months! When I changed them the spacer was missing so replaced and went genuine renault parts.

Clio 182
Yeah that did happen, but he's done 1*2s before so removed the spacer. I was with him while he was working, so did see him put the spacer back on before fitting the replacement discs

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
hhhhmmmmm I wonder if the spacer was accidentally put in back to front then. I know (and trust) the guy that did the work so that's maybe most likely, the spacers were definitely put back on. As he's usually a truck mechanic getting the torque on wasn't a problem :eek:

Not sure you understood this, the problem is that they can be very easily over-tightened. 175nm doesn't feel that much when doing them up. Also using Mintex ones wont help, should have used OE.

Clio 182
yup, all the chat I'd heard before was about folk not being able to reach the 175Nm. Never considered the obvious bearing (race probably) crushing issues of going over! Went Mintex to save some ££ at the time - buy cheap, buy twice as always