ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mintex 1144 for 172 Cup?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
As above really. The ds2500's or one of my personal favs the carbone loraines rc5+. Perfectly fine for road use and upto the job on track too. What you dont want to do is buy something to save a few quid and then realise they arnt upto the job on the 'odd trackday'. Take into consideration also the 'odd trackday' is not cheap so you wouldnt want to ruin it.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
1144 are a road pad. 1155 (about £10 more) are more equivalent to the ds2500 .I prefer the mintex personally, but brakes, much like tyres are very personal and entirely subjective.

172 Cup
1144 are a road pad. 1155 (about £10 more) are more equivalent to the ds2500 .I prefer the mintex personally, but brakes, much like tyres are very personal and entirely subjective.

Cheers Dan. Didnt know they existed so will check them out.
Thanks for all the other replys.

clio 172 phase 2
I got mintex 1144 pads find them brilliant ! Good bite too them dont fade either. Well worth it

I think I can sum up the 1144's with this:

Good road pad, terrible track pad

As a road pad, they are pretty spot on. Great from cold. Don't cost the earth and can stand up to the odd B road blast

However, I had my first track day a couple of weeks ago at Bedford GT circuit. The pads were tragic. They didn't last at all. Pedal went long after a about 2 laps and stayed like that til I went home! Granted I boiled the fluid which didn't help. But the fade was still evident. Once I was told how I should be braking (short and hard) it was a bit better but the trail braking damage had already been done.

For comparison, I am currently sourcing some 1155's or possibly the CL RC5+ pads as they are on offer from Ktec right now.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I think I can sum up the 1144's with this:

Good road pad, terrible track pad

As a road pad, they are pretty spot on. Great from cold. Don't cost the earth and can stand up to the odd B road blast

However, I had my first track day a couple of weeks ago at Bedford GT circuit. The pads were tragic. They didn't last at all. Pedal went long after a about 2 laps and stayed like that til I went home! Granted I boiled the fluid which didn't help. But the fade was still evident. Once I was told how I should be braking (short and hard) it was a bit better but the trail braking damage had already been done.

For comparison, I am currently sourcing some 1155's or possibly the CL RC5+ pads as they are on offer from Ktec right now.

By your own admission your fluid was not up to scratch, you boiled it, meaning your pedal pressure cold not reach the pads and discs effectively.

Then you blame the pads for the poor braking performance?

As said already, for mostly road use DS2500 are a bit over the top. I'm running Mintex 1144 in my 200 at the moment, have done 3 track days and 20k road miles and they've been fine for me. They grumble and compress a little when really really hot, but the bite and retardation is always there regardless.

By your own admission your fluid was not up to scratch, you boiled it, meaning your pedal pressure cold not reach the pads and discs effectively.

Then you blame the pads for the poor braking performance?

As said already, for mostly road use DS2500 are a bit over the top. I'm running Mintex 1144 in my 200 at the moment, have done 3 track days and 20k road miles and they've been fine for me. They grumble and compress a little when really really hot, but the bite and retardation is always there regardless.

Fair point.

However, before I boiled the fluid, I noticed after a not very long B road blast that the pads would glaze over rather easily. And the pedal would be rock hard without a lot of 'feel' or slowing down going on.

Booking another trackday for Bedford GT in April so may give the pads another go if I don't sort anything else out, we shall see.