ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mini cooper S v valver

Beetle
BigD said:
Wow I can really feel the love in this thread!

Starts off with a simple question, How would a Valver stand up to a Mini Cooper S.

Turns in to a slanging match between Valver and 172/182 owners!

I say settle your arguments on a track........ as a suggestion why don't you swap cars after the first race and see if the driver has anything to do with your times?

Might also gain a bit of respect for one anothers cars at the same time, just a thought.

same with every thread of this type mate, always has been always will be:rolleyes:
too many keyboard warriors who spout sh!t!!
and as for valvers are slowwwww, hmm no not really 7.7 0-60 aint astonishingly fast, but its by no means slow.
in relation to freebones original question i don't know mate, as i haven't driven a cooper s, they'll probably have a slight edge, all down to the drivers capabilities at the end of the day:)

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
I think we can settle this by agreeing my 1.4 RT is ssssslllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww!

-Akira
Argh...so annoying people calling Valvers slow... and im stuck in a 1.4..! :'( *goes off crying!*

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
wonders said:
U know wot my views are on 'Clio Bashing'
182's are slllllllooooooooooowwwwwwww

I'll give you a blip from a rolling start mate! And tbh you wont be going anywhere unless you have well over 300bhp......

Tried and tested loads of times......:D

I think everyone should hit the airfield next time for friendly comparison. If i finaly make it this time! :(

Oh and neil, fair play! lol Oh and i'll still have a blat of your car!

Last edited:
  Vee dub
BigD said:
Well a Phase 1 more so imo, but at the end of the day I see as many men driving Clio's as women and it could be argued that any car that bears a womans name is by definition Feminine.

Also seeing as most cars are refered to as "she" arn't they all feminine?

And seeing as men who drive allegedly "Masculine" cars are driving them because they are p*nis extensions and there over compensating, doesn't a man driving a so called "Girly car" mean he is the exact opposite?

Think about it for a second.....

I'm actually just joining in the 'banter' by calling the clio feminine

In all honesty I couldn't care less if a Cooper S was quicker! or that a 172 is faster in general, I own a valver and love it!

(PaulJ - I don't tend to run mine at the airfield day, but there will be a few valvers there hopefully)
:)

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing girly about this:
Valver7.gif

;)

Renaultsport Clio 172 16v
I cant believe that a site for cliosport owners has members that can turn around and start slagging the car the started them all, williams/valvers rock. Ive currently got a 172 but used to have a valver and valvers certainly aint slow in comparison to a standard 172, but however i forgot the cup versions of clios are "ferrari beaters"

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
dam you people......lol

spamming my thread with arguments.....lol

na its nice to have created a thread were people are having friendly convorsation bout what they believe...

so what have we learnt then boys and girls...

1)that the mini cooper S may be a little quicker but not really that much (standard - standard)

2)that all clios are feminine but just the mark 2 is MORE feminine

3)we are all gonna meet on a track and go racing in eachothers cars...yey

Clio 182
Off topic quickly sorry.... Great lunch time read this!! When is the airfield meet? I might not have my 182 anymore as I should of sold it by the weekend but i'm still a Clio Enthusiast whatever car i've got so and would love to go along to a meet will probably get another Clio once my new car has had its time !! Sorry back on topic now !!

Remapped derv Golf
Valvers are getting much faster as they get older though.

All that rust failing off is bound to save quite alot of weight. ;-)

No seriously this is one mk2 owner that loves the mk1's. Dan's white one looks and sounds superb.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
dunno bout the next airfield meet yet keep an eye on the meets page one eighttwo

miketheman2k said:
What you meant was "all Clio's look are pleasing to the eye, but the mk2 is MORE pleasing" ;)

na the higher spec mark 1's are much more pleasing to the eye, the lines are far nicer and they stand out alot more

much prefer the mark 1 172 over the mark 2's to

E91 M Sport
Freebone said:
na the higher spec mark 1's are much more pleasing to the eye, the lines are far nicer and they stand out alot more

much prefer the mark 1 172 over the mark 2's to

So what you're saying is that you are more 'royal doulton' than 'ikea'....;)

(oh, I can feel a cup joke coming on soon)

Swervin_Mervin said:
I see the only thing some of the 172/182 owners can refer to are 1/4 times. Roads have corners you know.

Are you saying a valver will out corner a MkII RenaultSport? Genuine question?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
At the last airfield day there was about 4 secs between Neil's Valver and the 172/182 runners.

Now, if a 172/182 was 1-2 secs quicker than a Cooper S (realistic estimate or not?), then Neil/valvers are within 1-2 secs of a Cooper S...aren't they?

That'd be pretty close in my book.

Not read the entire thread...how much do Valvers weigh?

I know full well what difference 89kgs can make...is a Cooper S more than that much more than a Valver?

The Jinx
Roy Munson said:
Are you saying a valver will out corner a MkII RenaultSport? Genuine question?

Not necessarily no. I think that the std 172/182 (excl cups/trophys) would be harder to drive on it's limits though. I don't think that the chassis is quite as controllable or maybe it's just not so easily readable. That's mainly down to the feedback levels IME.

However, like I said earlier, I've not seen a valver handed it's arse yet on proper roads.

I'll be the 1st to admit that one would get blown away on anything vaguely straight though.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
MarkCup said:
At the last airfield day there was about 4 secs between Neil's Valver and the 172/182 runners.

Now, if a 172/182 was 1-2 secs quicker than a Cooper S (realistic estimate or not?), then Neil/valvers are within 1-2 secs of a Cooper S...aren't they?

That'd be pretty close in my book.

Not read the entire thread...how much do Valvers weigh?

I know full well what difference 89kgs can make...is a Cooper S more than that much more than a Valver?

thats because i was real bad at launching mark....lol otherwise iu would of had you all...lol

am really enjoying this thread now....

Focus ST
Swervin_Mervin said:
I think that the std 172/182 (excl cups/trophys) would be harder to drive on it's limits though. I don't think that the chassis is quite as controllable or maybe it's just not so easily readable. That's mainly down to the feedback levels IME.

I'm not being funny mate but have you had extensive experience test driving all variants of the 172/182 on the limit to learn these finer points of chassis controllability and readability?

I don't know if it was just my valver but the turn in is so much sharper on my 182 and the response to steering input much quicker, making it very easy to put your car where you want on a bend. I also found the valver steering a bit light at higher speeds.

Lucas said:
I'm not being funny mate but have you had extensive experience test driving all variants of the 172/182 on the limit to learn these finer points of chassis controllability and readability?

I don't know if it was just my valver but the turn in is so much sharper on my 182 and the response to steering input much quicker, making it very easy to put your car where you want on a bend. I also found the valver steering a bit light at higher speeds.

This could be down to ageing suspension components though - saggy bushes and slightly knackered dampers will mean that there's a lot more movement in the suspension parts compared to a fresh out of the box, minty new 182. :)

Focus ST
White16valver said:
This could be down to ageing suspension components though - saggy bushes and slightly knackered dampers will mean that there's a lot more movement in the suspension parts compared to a fresh out of the box, minty new 182. :)

That's true - I would love to have driven a boxfresh valver just to see what it was like.

BMW 320d SE
PMSL at this thread! It's a hilarious read!
On a seroius note though, all this talk about people proving their worth on track etc, got me thinking - can we do some kind of mass exodus to a track as a club sometime?
(sorry for possible hijack)

The Jinx
Lucas said:

I think I did state/imply that I was only referring to the std variants and not the Cup/Trophys. I have driven std ph1 172 and std ph2 172, which is where I am drawing my experience from.

Just because turn in sharper doesn't mean the car is instilling confidence in you, which is what I'm saying the valver does well. I'm referring to feedback, of which the valver has masses compared to the std 172 variants. This is what allows you to be able to read better what the car is doing at/on the limits and allows you to control it more.

Obviously if you've been driving your 172 for some time you'll adjust to accommodate this and learn what the car is doing. It will be harder though and I still don't think the chassis is as playful on the limit.

Karlos69 said:
PMSL at this thread! It's a hilarious read!
On a seroius note though, all this talk about people proving their worth on track etc, got me thinking - can we do some kind of mass exodus to a track as a club sometime?
(sorry for possible hijack)

good idea, as long as you MK2 girls move out the way though ;)

on a serious note though, do you not think it could get a bit too competative, dont want to push any of the MK2's to their limits too much, they might crash trying to keep up! :O

Focus ST
^^Fair play, mate (Swervin). I do agree you get more feedback from the valver as there's less "technology" between you and the road. Raw!

hehe, ask BozM, he's seen Williams power first hand... and he never got to see all the stone chips on my front bumper... back one, now that's a different story ;) muhahaha

The Jinx
Lucas said:
^^Fair play, mate (Swervin). I do agree you get more feedback from the valver as there's less "technology" between you and the road. Raw!

'Tis true. Been driving the other half's Xsara VTS all week and even that, for a bigger more modern car, has greater levels of feedbakc than the mk2 Clios.

What's really worrying is when you get in a car even newer than the mk2 clios, and you cannot feel absolutely anything. Had a Vectra and a Corsa this year and you get more fell through a hand controller in GT4!:( Awful things.

Sadly I reckon most cars are going the same way. I'd love to drive a 172 Cup really as that's the only one that I can see would still have that rawness.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
glad people are still enjoying the debates on this thread....

so good someone had to copy with a 172 v cooper S thread...surely it could be worked out from this one....lol

megane coupe F7R
Ive had a few blasts with a cooper s in the valver. Up to a ton i was on his ass but not actually gaining on him. Never raced after a 100 but i reckon it might of pulled a little on me. Pretty quick motor for how heavy they are but without a charcher they are nothin