ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Might get a 172, Any advice Please!

Celica and Raptor.
Hi Im new to this forum.
Im looking into getting a 172 and I quite like the Phase 1s.
I went and viewed and test drove this Clio 172 the other day

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLIO-SPORT-172...1%7C240%3A1318

Its a nice smooth drive and has a couple of little dents.
The only things that lets it down is you can see its been looked after but the books have been lost but replaced and know prof of a cambelt change so I would do that straight away.
On the other hand Its 1 owner from new.
Alot better than a couple of others which I have viewed.

Any advice would be much appricated:).

Thanks

Renaultsport Clio 172 ph1
Hi

I am not yet an owner so can't claim to be an expert but i'm looking for a ph1 too. The car looks nice and its got all the extra kit too which is a bonus. 1 owner also.

But its £2995 with no proof of cam belt/accessory belt/tensioners change so you'll be hit for at least another £400. Thats too much. Plus it hasn't particularly got a low mileage to make it worth the extra. Remember that clio also was registered after March 2001 so you'll be hit with the higher tax band come next year. There are lots knocking around at the moment for low prices and its the credit crunch so you can afford to be picky and to go for a bargain.

As you've probably read on this forum, you need to check the exhaust as they rot, engine mounts, ideally you want two working keys as they are expensive to replace. I would recommend you get hold of a copy of 'Performance Heroes' (from evo magazine) in WHSmith. They've got a 172 buyer's guide in there that could be quite useful to you (but prices suggested are out of date).

I would have thought you'd need to knock the seller down to at least £2500-2600 maybe more if you can, as long as you're happy with all other aspects of the car and how its been maintained.

Good luck.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Im not so sure about this one mate. Its nice but others can be had with the belt done and alot less miles for about £500 more.

If you hold out you will probaly un earth a gem.

I bought mine back in March for £3800 with 44k on the clock. I had to get the belts changed though but at the time it was one of the best examples i could find.

There are one or two on Auto Trader with 35k on and one owner might wanna have a look.

audi a6 3.0tdi
Does look good that but is too expensive. Go in with an offer of £2500 if they don't take it walk away as there are plenty of others about. i picked a really good one up for £1400 it was high mileage but everything was recorded serviced by the same renault garage all its life and had all the major work done.

Celica and Raptor.
Thanks for all the advice everyone.
I think I will leave It then and just keep looking!

Does anyone know of any desent 172's for sale?. That I havent found.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
To the OP, can you not get the previous owners name off the logbook, 118118 it, and ring him to find out where it was serviced?

I did that once on a VW Polo and after parting with £6 for a service book, the dealer filled it with 6 genuine stamps!

However, most people are ex-directory nowadays so it could prove a problem contacting them.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thanks for all the advice everyone.
I think I will leave It then and just keep looking!

Does anyone know of any desent 172's for sale?. That I havent found.

Ive recently been thinking of selling mine again maybe mate.

Seriously considering a 182 now :eek:

172 Cup
ph1's look pap. The front looks old and dated. Get a mk2 for that cash although that ph1 does look a well looked after car with only one owner

Celica and Raptor.
ph1's look pap. The front looks old and dated. Get a mk2 for that cash although that ph1 does look a well looked after car with only one owner

Yeah it is mate, Bit of a long short lol but have you seen the car before as it came from Wolverhampton orginally.

Thanks for everyones opinons, I must admit that I do like the Phase 1s:).

330Ci Sport Convertible
Paid £2400 for a W plate 172 with Cam Belt done and 58k on the clock.Bought it for the Mrs but she hated it [biatch] so i use it. Had a couple of problems so far, killed the gearbox so that was £1000 including a new clutch 3 weeks ago,then £300 having brakes replaced this week.

If i was you i would go for a 182.

ph1 172
i bought my ph1 a couple of months ago for £2400

63k miles, cam belt 2 years ago at 44k, mint interior, a couple of minor scratches exterior but very very minor. lots of people have commented it looks like its only a few years old, fsh, 12 months mot, wheels just reconditioned and 4 new Contact2's

I prefer the ph1's. They look very different to other non-sport ph1's where as ph2's and 182's look pretty similar to their non-sport brothers and sisters!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

I wonder where id rather sit, on a chair made from nails or the poverty spec interior of a cup, that is a toughy and those nails look damn comfortable...

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
I too have had a look at the PH1 in the link - im after one too. Id say its pretty overpriced and people are advertising high and selling low; imo make him an offer and the worst he can say is no. From what Ive seen, FSH is worth its weight in gold aswell as gearbox oil changes

172 Cup
I wonder where id rather sit, on a chair made from nails or the poverty spec interior of a cup, that is a toughy and those nails look damn comfortable...

Touched a nerve? I agree, awful seats - that why I bought some mk2 182 seats from a scrappy for 80 notes. On the look out for some recaros after xmas

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Touched a nerve? I agree, awful seats - that why I bought some mk2 182 seats from a scrappy for 80 notes. On the look out for some recaros after xmas

Nah mate i take everything with a pinch of salt.

And plus, the Phase 1 would rattle the cup any day:rasp: