ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Microsoft Multi-media and pci cards

When to PC world today and they had a nice VCR player sized PC running Microsoft MultiMedia XP, now does any 1 have Multi media running on there PC?
Is it possible to record t.v. and satalite with this and what T.V card do you need? Basicly i want to put my pc in the lounge and use it to record programs, play films and surf the net, any one have an idea what stuff i will need?
Thanks.

You mean Windows Media Center ;)

Yes, I believe you can record and playback TV, dvds, music, etc. Not sure about how satellite would work.. I guess you could plug your satellite box into the TV card in your PC, but I'm not sure if you could get the PC to change the channel when it needed to.

You'll need a reasonably powerful PC, some big disks, and a TV card. Some TV cards have build in encoders so your PC doesn't have to be quite as powerful.

172 Cup
have a look at the Windows Media Centre edition website as this will show which TV/DVB cards are compatible.

Just had a look, not all t.v. cards are conpatable, i think my pc should be o.k.:-
64bit Xp3000
512Mb 333mhz dual
20Gb samsung + 2 X 80GB SATA Maxtor
256MB NX6600 Graphics card

To record and play live t.v. at the same time need 2 X T.V. cards otherwise 1 is o.k.
To use satalite you need an extra bit of kit that is like a miniature Infra red thing that sits infront of the satalite reciever to change channels controlled by the p.c.

Gonna have to save up.