ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Microsoft Certs

306 GTi-6
Looking to train up on a Microsoft Certification, but there is a daft amount to choose from. I'm thinking 70-653 Windows Small Business Server 2008, it seems to be quite well-rounded in terms of content.

Anyone have this qualification? I'm wondering how the job prospects are when weighted against the more hardcore Exchange/Server certifications...

Thanks in advance!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't bother with an SBS one, will be a waste imho in a corporate environment as generally they won't be running sbs, but guess it can't hurt if that's what you want to do.

I'd probably rather start down the MCITP Server Admin/Enterprise Admin route if that's the kind of thing you want to do.

But as grumpy guts above says, certs alone won't get you a job however they do help validate knowledge.

I still don't have any MS ones either, although I have actually got round to booking one up, but it's just an SCCM one.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers :)

Been meaning to do it for 2 years so thought now was as good a time as any to pull my finger out. I kick ass with SCCM though so hopefuly won't be too bad (now I've said that bet I fail miserably).

The boss keeps telling us to get things like this in at the moment due to the place slowly closing down, as they'll pay the fees and it makes us 'better' when trying to get another job apparently.

I done quite a few certs in 2008, They go well with experience and you will stand out from other candidates.

Not sure what ones are best these days as I've not done them in a while. Check out the test-king pdf's for revision though ;)

DCi
http://cl.publicaster.com/ViewInBrowser.aspx?pubids=7256%7c774%7c296169&digest=gaSOVVCdTwEpfHkFdA4Qpg&sysid=1

I got an email with prometric vouchers if that link don't work pm me your email and I'll forward the original message

DMS

A thirsty 172
290 is a piece of piss. It's all about basic stuff like configuring TCP/IP settings, ntbackup, setting up user accounts etc. VERY easy.
291 is a fair bit more difficult but still not that challenging. You need to know all about RRAS, DHCP, DNS, subnetting, WSUS and setting packet filters on the network adapters basically.
The hardest MS exam I took when working towards the MCSE: Security on 2003 was probably the 70-294 or the 70-299. 294 is a core exam too, so you HAVE to do it if you want to get an MCSE.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Nah, 291 is by far the hardest one, it's got the most stuff to remember and be tested on.

DCi
I want my MCSE after the A then I am equalled as qualified as my boss haha (although less years on the job but hey ho)

290 was quite easy as was the XP one. There was a lot of WSUS on the 290??

DMS

A thirsty 172
I didn't think 291 was that difficult TBH, definitely not as hard as the 293 and 294 anyway.
I suppose it depends where your experience lies. I'd been dealing with most of the stuff on the 291 exam for years, so I found it fairly easy compared to the 293 and 294.

EDIT: BTW DK, I heard you might be coming to set our EVA up? :star:

dk

911 GTS Cab
I didn't think 291 was that difficult TBH, definitely not as hard as the 293 and 294 anyway.
I suppose it depends where your experience lies. I'd been dealing with most of the stuff on the 291 exam for years, so I found it fairly easy compared to the 293 and 294.

EDIT: BTW DK, I heard you might be coming to set our EVA up? :star:
lol, you work with Mike?

dk

911 GTS Cab
certainly is, i saw the order came through and yes, it is me coming to do the install!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Cant hurt not to have it :) We are going through our A+ stuff at the moment then doing Server+ Asking about the people at my place said none of there qualifications helped much, just gave them that bit extra "Something Special" when it comes to moving up :)