ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

michael bay on ms and their stance on HD disc formats

What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.

tbh i think that will be about right

Tappd'd RS
Probably not far off the mark there.

It is uber annoying having to buy films on two different formats if you want to experience HD movies.

A4 Avant
I'd imagine it'll be some kind of set-top media extender type arrangement, where your tied into third party netwrok. Just plug it into a phone line.

I'd imagine it'll be some kind of set-top media extender type arrangement, where your tied into third party netwrok. Just plug it into a phone line.

or just more content on this ;)

Following the huge success of Xbox LIVE™ Marketplace Video Store in the US, where it has changed the way Xbox 360™ owners view and enjoy video, Microsoft® today announced that Xbox LIVE Marketplace Video Store will open for business in the UK on 11th December.

Xbox 360 owners will be able to rent full-length films such as 300, The Good German, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from as little as 250 Microsoft Points (*ERP £2) for Standard Definition movies and from 380 Microsoft Points (*ERP £3.20 [1]) for High Definition movies. This is in addition to over 100 music videos currently available to download from partners Ministry of Sound, Sony BMG, PIAS and Vid Zone.

With this launch, Xbox LIVE Marketplace becomes the first video on demand service to be available in six countries - US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France and Germany - and cements its place as the worldwide leader in online distribution of high-definition gaming and entertainment content.

A4 Avant
I'd missed that update Mcbunny. That sounds cool! Sounds like nearly everything is in place for it to start to take off!

yup it does doesnt it tbh i couldnt give a monkeys as long as BT get a better network in place as 8mbit isnt enough for good hd content

Whatever format wins downloading films will probably be the future. Hes probably just pissed that Transformers is on HD-DVD and he'll make less cash. Dreamworks were signed up to HD-DVD a long time before this film came out, maybe he should have checked that before agreeing to direct it.

SLK 350
21CN or ADSL2 won't be around nationally for another 5 years though McB, it needs HUGE investment and nobody wants to take it on.

On demand content (particularly HD) just doesn't work over ADSL, I think the prospect of waiting 24 hours for a movie, then have to foot the bill for additional bandwidth sucks. Be better off offering DIVX movies for £1.

thinkbroadband said:
Pricing is around £3 for a high definition movie download and down to around £2 for a standard definition film. If similar bit rates as are used in the USA are used in the UK, a two hour movie may weigh in at 5GB (gigabytes). Dropping to standard definition sees the size fall to around 1.6GB.

A 5GB download will take quite a while to download. On a 0.5Mbps (megabits per second) connection, it will take a full 24 hours to download assuming the connection can run flat out; on a 10Mbps connection it will be around 1.5 hours. With the way some providers run their fair use policies, people may see the first half of a film download quickly to find speeds drop significantly once over the magical limit which is often not published or varies from day to day. These figures all ignore the potential for slow downs due to other people using their broadband connections too.

21CN or ADSL2 won't be around nationally for another 5 years though McB, it needs HUGE investment and nobody wants to take it on.

On demand content (particularly HD) just doesn't work over ADSL, I think the prospect of waiting 24 hours for a movie, then have to foot the bill for additional bandwidth sucks. Be better off offering DIVX movies for £1.

thinkbroadband said:
Pricing is around £3 for a high definition movie download and down to around £2 for a standard definition film. If similar bit rates as are used in the USA are used in the UK, a two hour movie may weigh in at 5GB (gigabytes). Dropping to standard definition sees the size fall to around 1.6GB.

A 5GB download will take quite a while to download. On a 0.5Mbps (megabits per second) connection, it will take a full 24 hours to download assuming the connection can run flat out; on a 10Mbps connection it will be around 1.5 hours. With the way some providers run their fair use policies, people may see the first half of a film download quickly to find speeds drop significantly once over the magical limit which is often not published or varies from day to day. These figures all ignore the potential for slow downs due to other people using their broadband connections too.

yup i agree 21cn is scheduled for my village 2011

SLK 350
Don't think we even have a date yet, although chances are I'll be living in London next year anyway.

It's when we start to pay for pioneering twisted strand copper cabling, god damn Korea/Japan is optical fibre from north to south :(

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
An xbox 360 uses an analog signal tho?

hdmi also

also the 360 hd drive works on a pc

Don't think i'm understanding.

I don't have an Xbox so this is just what I know from my mate. His xbox connects to his TV via the VGA port on the back of his XBox, he doesn't have a HDMI port on the Xbox.. i think.

So surely there is a loss in quality when watching a HD video through the XBox?

T

thecremeegg

"Does anyone out here want to challenge what I feel suits my films better in terms of look. I see every frame of my films over a hundred times before it is ever released. I know the lighting conditions I shot it and the result on the DI. I know the range. I know what the final product should look like - Blu Ray suits my films better. But that said - I don't a care about this format war because I have both formats in my screening room - I'm just filling you in on what people deep in the film industry feel ultimately is going on -

Transformers looks great even in DVD!!"

Thats michael bay again.
To be fair its his film why shouldnt it be released in blu-ray....blu-ray is the superior format, whatever fanboys might say

dk

911 GTS Cab
Whatever format wins downloading films will probably be the future. Hes probably just pissed that Transformers is on HD-DVD and he'll make less cash. Dreamworks were signed up to HD-DVD a long time before this film came out, maybe he should have checked that before agreeing to direct it.
actually, no, its a paramount film which until august was Blu-ray so he was all set to release it on bluray which he thought was the better format.

Then late august paramount announced they had struck a deal to go HD-DVD and he was annoyed as he didn't want it released on what he thought was an inferior product. But then he found out about the web content on the HD-DVD and that the advanced features wouldn't be ready for bluray to support before it was released anyway so was then sort of happy etc.

The deal for Paramount going HD-DVD also had a clause in it though, that Spielberg films would be excluded from the deal so he still gets to choose!

dk

911 GTS Cab
there is nowt in the formats except extra features and disk size quality is all down to codecs
in the early days HD-DVD was using the better codecs.

Plus HD-DVD is region free, thats a plus point!

DB is catching up now on extras with the release of BDJ.

haw-he-haw, une-sept-deux
lol, I can imagine Michael Bay saying that, whilst grandiose, epic music playing in the background and a camera flying all the way around him 3 times

Streaming is the way forward, I just think the price needs a re-adjustment.

I wont pay £8 for an album from iTunes when you can get it for £9ish from Tesco, then youve got the case/disc/covers and you can copy and do whatever you like with it.

But its taken over from CD's massively, films will be exactly the same once they sort out the bandwidth/downloading issues.

actually, no, its a paramount film which until august was Blu-ray so he was all set to release it on bluray which he thought was the better format.

Then late august paramount announced they had struck a deal to go HD-DVD and he was annoyed as he didn't want it released on what he thought was an inferior product. But then he found out about the web content on the HD-DVD and that the advanced features wouldn't be ready for bluray to support before it was released anyway so was then sort of happy etc.

The deal for Paramount going HD-DVD also had a clause in it though, that Spielberg films would be excluded from the deal so he still gets to choose!
It's Paramount and Dreamworks apparently, my mistake.

Der Panzer
lol, I can imagine Michael Bay saying that, whilst grandiose, epic music playing in the background and a camera flying all the way around him 3 times

With slow motion, tints and non-sensical military radio chatter in teh background. I f**king hate Michael Bay. I mean, really really hate him.

haw-he-haw, une-sept-deux
haha. I kind of do, but I quite enjoy watching his films to laugh at the ridiculous "Michael Bay-isms". I was pissing myself laughing during some of the slow motion sections in transformers, i think everyone in the cinema thought i was retarded.

Mito Sportiva 135
Probably right. In the future we won't even have TV channels as we have now, more that channels buy the rights to show certain programs, then you will probably subscribe to a channel and can download content as it becomes available.

Internet speed will have to be faster though still, so it will be almost instant to view and episode of Eastenders or whatever.

I think its a great idea personally, saves tons of transport cost which is good for everyone and the environment. Way forward for sure. At the rate I am going, I will have so many physical CDs and DVDs and games by the time I am 50 I will need a warehouse to keep it in.

The other advantage is that you won't need to keep buying different players for everything, just one monolithic box which does everything, eventually even controlling your home, even remotely via the internet.

We are on the eve of Tomorrow's World.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Definitely the way to go. The on demand/catchup TV service from VM using the V+ box is great and very handy.