ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Melted steering wheel

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
My wheel started to melt in the sunshine today, I know it's a fairly common problem, an I'm prepared for a fight with Renault. Could anyone thats had a similar issue post on here, so I can get a rough idea of numbers?

Cheers
Warren

2.0, 182 sport 2005
I took off my steering lock yesterday and it had melted two grooves into into the steering wheel !!

PH-Lamer 1.4 16v
yeh the previous owner of mine used to wear driving gloves, so melted steering wheel + gloves = big big mess!!

M2 Competition
I was going to make a thread about this!

Clio owners, put a t-shirt/ pillow case over your wheel when parked! Using a pillow case and seems to do the trick :)

White APE
I was going to ask the same. Gunna feel a bit of a tit putting a pillow case over me wheel when i park up at work. but i guess its better then a melted wheel.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Had mine replaced by Renault under warranty

Clio_100608_4.gif

They gave me the order sheet to sign and it would have cost £428 inc VAT and fitting.:eek::eek::eek:

182 has now gone!
Mines all melted and horrible... Car is out of warrenty now tho so doubt I could claim... I got a price from Renault for a new one £350, without fitting!!!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Thought if we could get a list together would make it lot easier to show it's a common problem, not fit for purpose, therby making warranty claims easier for everyone.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thought if we could get a list together would make it lot easier to show it's a common problem, not fit for purpose, therby making warranty claims easier for everyone.

Wont happen, been tried on here loads of times before. Some dealers though do appear to be more sympathetic to replacing them though.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
my wheels melted to. looks like a wrinkley c**k ive been told although i have no experiance of wrinkley c***s i would like to add lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If a mod could sticky this, if we have a list of all the people with probs, gives us some ammo to use with the warranty dept. Or maybe a call to watchdog "My steering wheel melted, and my bonnet flew open!!!!!!!"

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
My one has now gone as well. Slightly melted on the right hand side however the right thumb grip developed a small tear a few weeks back and now the whole grip is falling apart and coming away from the wheel.

M2 Competition
Because you run your hands over it its a wear and tear part though... easy for them to claim you wear rings/ have rough hands/ dont use the wheel in the proper way etc.

Clio Sport MrkII 04
steering wheels melted I think it's a common issue on Renault Clio around the world , dealers refuse to change it, even under warranty.
My steering wheel is ok, no problem after 5 years, I now it will cost more on Europe, but here in Mexico we found for upholstery shop to fix it and it looks great!!!

Renaultsport 220T
My wheel started to melt in the sunshine today.

I think i may steer away from French cars

I hope that pun was unintentional?
:dapprove:

I had my 182 wheel replaced under warranty. The new one is in mint condition now, as I only used it for a couple of months, before replacing it with a proper racing wheel.

It's dry stored in a box, in the garage. :cool:

CLIO Iceberg 172
mines trying to melt, i seem to stick to it when ever i drive, i handle it with kid gloves to try and prolong its life, i never thought leather could melt like fudge, i wonder how much it would cost to retrim in proper leather, not the stuff that has the consistancy of butter icing

Suzuki Ignis Sport
My right thumbgrip had a small slit in it befor i bought it, so i knew about it, but these these days, its been so hot that its made another slit! :(

Grrr, tried glueing it back, but it aint wrking!

Flame Red 172
I was going to say the same about the "leather" My golf had a real leather stearing wheel and that never melted!

Meh, I'm not all that fussed

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Just out of interest does anyone know of anyone who makes replacement thumb grips? I have seen a few threads on here where there has been talk of replacement ones (the carbon fibre thread springs to mind) but nothing conclusive.
Given the amount of people who have similar problems there must be a bit of money to be made from it? It's really letting my car down as the steering wheel looks like it's done 100k when in reality it's on 27k.

172 FF
Mine melted. I peeled all the coating off & then about 2 years after that the thumb grips went. Replaced it now with a 2nd hand one.
I can't believe they didn't change the design or manufacture of them.

Nippy white cup
PM if you want one. I have a Cup wheel which is in good condition (thumb grips as well) that I'm going to sell. The Airbag is also available but there is some wear on the top right of it.

RIMG0119.jpg

RIMG0123-1.jpg

RIMG0124.jpg

Chris