ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane R26 vs. Clio 182 Trophy

RS Clio 182
Both cars have similarites as they are regarded the 'best' versions of their era and both destined to become future classics. Mint versions going for similar money now aswell.

Which do you think is the better overall car?

(might be bias here but like to hear your thoughts hehe.)

I’d say the R26 is a ‘better’ car/package. Ultimately both are special cars and in the era they was in production nothing could touch them, even now they’d still show the modern stuff a thing or two.

I’ve always said a standard R26 in either GW/LY will be very desirable, as we know the 182 Trophy has already reached that stage now and the prices prove it.

172 Cup is the next one to worth a penny or two and I’ve noticed a few popping up on here that are getting TLC so it’s good to see! I credit the 172 Cup & The 225 Trophy/Cup and the later R26 etc for the type of ‘hardcore’ Diff’d up, fancy Recaro’s and Suspension we have in Hot Hatches now.

I know the Focus RS Mk1 kinda did but....

Apologies for waffling on.

172 Cup
Ok. I don't have experience of a 182 Trophy but have had my 172 Cup for 3 years and previously done a lot of miles in my brother's R26.

They are two very different cars, both had their own market (hence why Renault made them) but each are now definitely an enthusiasts car and like you say can complete for a Renault fan with a £6-8k budget.

All the following is my opinion of course:

Clio is rawer, harsher and more tiresome especially at 5/10ths.

Megane is clearly comfier and more practical.

On the flip side, push the Clio on a little and it's more involving and fun at lawful speeds.

Straight line performance isn't hugely different stock v stock but the delivery is very different. Accessible torque and low down boost from the R26 v wringing the neck out the Clio.

Clio edges steering feel for me and the compact size makes it easy to plot a route and use all the available tarmac on a twisty road.

Megane takes it on outright grip stakes, the LSD allows for outrageous cornering and exit speeds when you push the accelerator on the apex.

Both cars are great on the brakes. With decent pads you can't complain with either.

When you start to tweak, the Megane will leave you for dead with a remap and supporting mods. The difference between stock and that is massive. Properly fast car once that has been done.

Investment wise, the 182 Trophy is the one for me. Prices are on the rise for clean, low mileage cars. R26 prices seem to have levelled out. I can't see them picking up either with the .r being the halo model and many people holding out for a gen 3 car. That means nothing to me as I prefer to drive my cars rather than looking at them in the hope they will make a few k.

All in all it's a difficult choice to make. Many have jumped ship to a Megane only to return. Many have not looked back.

Good luck - I haven't decided where I'm going from my Clio next either! But my dilemma is 200 v gen 3.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've never thought of an R26 as a special car tbh, R26-R sure. Was the normal one a limited run?

Trophy is a Trophy, remote reservoir dampers, a single unique (and variable hue by now I imagine) colour, Recaro seats was always going to be a winner.

172 Cup
Like a good debate. Nobody going to come on and say a Clio wipes the floor with it?

535d / t5 caravelle
Kosy has put it very well tbf, clio’s more fun, Megane’s more capable, and rapid when tweaked! As an overall car I’d go with the Megane, it can do everything very well, to well in fact........which was its downfall for me unfortunately.

For the fun factor, the Clio wins it.

172 Cup
Well, the OP put this up on RSMegane too and the comments are very interesting. Many have owned both and the Trophy seems to be favoured.

RS Clio 182
Well, the OP put this up on RSMegane too and the comments are very interesting. Many have owned both and the Trophy seems to be favoured.

Probably because the Trophy is the more 'involving' drive as you have to work for it more and wring its neck - but if youre doing a mixture of more long commuting aswell - the Megane is more manageable day to day,its just much easier to go quick in it. Both will be future classics though.

Handling wise,both are very similar to me - The R26 has the LSD and the Trophy has the Sachs dampers - both cars cling to corners like glue.