ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane 225 cup

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Cheers mossy, I've done the same principles in prepping it apart from I was going to lacquer over the top to seal them in but in fairness I might put them on top next time. It's the lacquer that's made a mess of the job unfortunately it just wouldn't spray evenly enough. And made it look patchy. I could have left it but it would annoy me after it looking well up to that point and there's no point doing a job half cocked
I have got you. Think you have already said it - put the lacquer in hot water before use and make sure you shake the can until your arm hurts ;)
Another thing I do is heat the surface first (not to hot) with a heat gun first - gives good results and reduces risk of runs.

Ford
I did think about doing those but to be fair if I can get some new ones that match the colour I'll go for those as it will probably be a better job

Ford
I had the can warmed up on a heater till it was fairly hot to handle and shook it well but still came out the same as it did when the can was cold the other day, might just be an old can. I've got the battery bracket to spray and I might have a go at doing that with a fresh tin as I don't really want to make a balls of the cover again and rub it down a 3rd time 😅

Ford
Flatted the cover back off again, and re applied the colour, after heating up the new can of colour and warming the over its now got funny craze lines running over the front of it?! It's one step away from getting launched. So I'm thinking before I run out of paint again should I use some 240 wet and dry to remove it back to bare plastic and start again? Really testing the patience after such a good initial job. Gone totally the opposite now
15872323818281528136278903596507.jpg
1587232413823304164142773033174.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
This is really putting me off painting my engine cover🤣. Looking at that I'd say heating the paint wasn't a good idea. I'm no expert though but I know @mossyv6 has had some great results with rattle cans so I'd do as he said and just warm the lacquer a bit.

Ford
I've left it with paint stripper on and will re wind the last 4 days and do it again 😅😂 mossy have you ever had a problem with the heat of the engine once it is done?

Ford
@Matt e that's bloody gorgeous. My problem is being too impatient to rectify it after going steady on it initially. Just frustrating but if I can get it right ill be happy.

Ford
No real update yet, spent 7 hours over one might and the following day scraping all the paint off the engine cover and starting again. Primer applied, colour applied, all patchy again. Haven't done anything different from the first time I applied it. £20 later and no better off so it's safe to say I'm pretty p*ssed off with it now. I'm not going to be beaten by a piece of plastic. Starting to really irritate me so I'm going to flat the thing off again for the 500th time and apply a gloss black to it as I've ran out of the colours again now. Worst case I will get a second hand engine cover and get someone else to do it as it's put a downer on it for me now. Going to try and sort the rear boot interior light this afternoon and get that working. Have ordered a few bits for the car too so will hopefully have some productive updates soon for the car.

Ford
Well I've had a few deliveries of things today, the new oil filler cap, new Megane badge for the boot, which I think I'll keep off until I've had the car in a body shop. And had the replacement stickers for the engine cover. Also had some ceramic wax turn up which I might have a play with later 😎

Ford
So, I've bought another engine cover which I was going to paint again. This turned up today and after a good clean and polish I've fitted it. Not sure what to do though, either sell it as it is, keep it as it is and use it. Or spray this one. What do you guys think? I'll post a pic of what I originally did and what I wanted. And the one that I've just put on. Also fitted the new oil filler cap which is sh*te as it wouldn't lock like the original and when tried to remove the plastic centre stayed in and the lid come off so the originals gone back on. Only sure way to get a smarter one is to get true OEM. Anyway back to the covers...
IMG_20200417_153901.jpg

Or...
IMG_20200425_182409.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200425_182409.jpg
    IMG_20200425_182409.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 104
  Ford
Looking at them on the post above I'm already liking the silver more. If I was to sell the LY one is it possible to vapour blast or along the lines of to remove all the paint off the original and use a filler primer to mask the scratches?

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Looking at them on the post above I'm already liking the silver more. If I was to sell the LY one is it possible to vapour blast or along the lines of to remove all the paint off the original and use a filler primer to mask the scratches?

Let me know if you sell the yellow one please mate.

Ford
I will do mate no problem at all, what would your advice be for me to do? Kind of feel like I'm settling for second best if I just stick it on and leave it

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
I like the standard look to be honest mate. I would carefully wipe it with thinners and get all your new paint back off it - should come of easily enough if it has been freshly painted and then start again.

Ford
Well, not much has happened to be honest in the past few days, but I have given it a clean and a coat of ceramic wax, and happy to say it does make a nice difference when it's raining like it is today! Other than that, I've also sorted the engine cover out and that's now primed and most of the scratches removed so if I'm feeling brave I'll spray the colour on again, if not I'll leave it and get someone else to do it. I've also had a delivery of the centre caps for the wheels, the battery cover, and it's got a fresh MOT. I'll get some pics when I go in the garage but the engine cover needs some trim restorer on which I've ordered some gtechniq C4 as it's been recommended by many on FB. Now the MOT, I rinsed all the shite dust off before I took it just to keep it presentable and on the way there the bloody windows started playing up. You might or might not have seen a post put up last year about what to source and after a few trips to some local garages got it sorted. Long story on that one due to a well known Renault breaker not sending me the parts.... Anyway, when I picked the car up after cycling the windows up and down both sides a few times they resumed normal action. I think it purely just needs regular use and I'm hoping by next winter it will be under cover so it won't be exposed to the moisture so much. Also the loose pipe that I tightened has done the trick, no wheezing on boost anymore. Taxing it Friday and will try and use it a bit for my essential journeys. One thing I noticed as they had obviously had the wipers on to test was only one jet was working so I'll have a look under the bonnet as when I removed the bonnet matting I disturbed the line running along the base so maybe it had something to do with that. I'll try and get some more pics up soon!

Ford
Few small updates with the megane, had a few bits arrive, and managed to try and sort the original engine cover that I ballsed up.
IMG_20200429_163455.jpg
IMG_20200508_124316.jpg

Ford
Next thing I'm going to do is get someone to lacquer it for me, then I'll put the stickers back on the engine cover. Does anyone know where to get the Renault/elf battery cover sticker from? As the one on it is fairly crinkled. And also need to wait till I can get back to work to make a bracket to fit the battery cover.

Ford
Another small job I've done is remove the rubbery coating off the inside door pull handles, I need to remove the back half at some point but a bit reluctant to do so as I hate removing the door cards.
IMG_20200502_195709.jpg

Ford
Plans for it are to get the wheels refurbed, paint looked at, and potentially a bigger Intercooler just to give it an easier life. It's already mapped but I think I'm going to get this checked, don't want huge power from it just want it running a safe figure that will last rather than pushing the boundaries and having trouble further down the line. What are people's opinion on an induction kit? Is it needed? Currently has a aftermarket air filter fitted.

Ford
Done a few other little bits aswell, restored trim on the roof and round mirrors etc with some C4 trim restorer. And sprayed the battery retention bracket as it was corroded to sh*t
IMG_20200429_173658.jpg

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Another small job I've done is remove the rubbery coating off the inside door pull handles, I need to remove the back half at some point but a bit reluctant to do so as I hate removing the door cards. View attachment 1473036

To do the back half you don’t need to remove the whole card.
Just open up the material section to get in - the handle is held on with some torx screws.

Ford
How do you mean mate? I think I can see some self tappers from the back side of the card into the handle, I've undone the two torx bits but only then seen the self tappers into the back, I've used some tar remover and rubbed all the coating off on the fronts so didn't want to do it in place in case I got it on the fabric

Ford
That looks ace mate, just the kind of thing I'm hoping to do, I was thinking of using aluminium as it will be easy to cut to shape. Just noticed your induction filter, did you fit that in your ownership or was it already on? Debating getting one for mine

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
How do you mean mate? I think I can see some self tappers from the back side of the card into the handle, I've undone the two torx bits but only then seen the self tappers into the back, I've used some tar remover and rubbed all the coating off on the fronts so didn't want to do it in place in case I got it on the fabric

The material section of the door card is on hinges and you can lift it up to get in the door. The back half of the grab handle is attached to the section that lifts up.
E57B3367-9190-4522-8E2F-731215A92EA6.png
D71B602A-B866-4D4B-B1B0-27F88D8CF9C0.png

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
That looks ace mate, just the kind of thing I'm hoping to do, I was thinking of using aluminium as it will be easy to cut to shape. Just noticed your induction filter, did you fit that in your ownership or was it already on? Debating getting one for mine
I just used an old number plate cut up, lol.
I have always had induction kit on my meggies and fitted a blanking plate on the recirc as I live the sound of the wastegate chatter through the induction.
That one is for sale as I have just bought a Ramair one.

Ford
Ace, I will give it another go on the handles then, thanks for the advice! Otherwise id have ended up dreading taking the panels off again.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
@JackM94 you’re very welcome.
There’s more info in my project thread here mate:

Ford
Not a bad idea using the numberplate to be fair! I haven't got one spare plus I'll be liberating two M6 stainless bolts to fit it so I'll tap the aluminium to take it 😎 sounds good, I've been debating what to do really wether I should get one or not, is that as easy to fit as it looks? I've got a ramair panel filter at the moment