ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Measuring / setting geometry

Short of selling out thousands on electronic portable geometry measuring gear what techniques do people use when testing to adjust and record settings with reasonable accuracy?

Using a shim type means of adjustment is one way of controlling change as long as your starting point is well understood, relatively simple on the rear beam, but what about toe or castor which are slot or thread type adjustments?

Share your ideas!

turbo 182
Toe and camber are adjusted by shims on the rear, toe on the front is track rods, camber either by bolts or adjustable top mounts and castor is also done by adjustable top mounts

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I use dunlop tracking sticks for all the toe set up front and rear. I use the string method to get the initial readings to make sure everything is 'straight' as the dunlop sticks will only give you the total toe in/out.

For camber I've got 2 methods - camber gauge or the more accurate - iPhone believe it or not! Get a digital camber gauge if your doing setup work as they're easier to get the settings bang on the same.

Most importantly use a flat surface. Measure it with a spirit level and a piece of wood that's known to be straight. Mark out the position on the floor where your doing the setup too. This will allow consistent results.

A set of turnplates are a nice to have for setting up tracking but not essential. It just saves having to roll the car back and forth after every adjustment (on the front)

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, spirit level for camber is surprisingly accurate as long as you can measure against a complete flat.

Straight edge across the wheel hub if you've got the wheels off.

The iPhone spirit level that shows degrees is pretty accurate, I helped a friend roughly setup his Impreza prior to going for a full geo setup and they said it was nearly equal and suitable for a road setup