ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

May be worth getting your mot done before January

Here's some snippets

. As far as practicable, check that: a. all driver and passenger airbags fitted as original
equipment, are present and,
b. are not obviously defective.

Harnesses will be fine!!

A harness belt may be used as an alternative to a three point or lap belt. The requirement for a buckle to lock with a single action
does not apply to harness belts.

Check that the driver’s seat position can be adjusted forwards and backwards and secured in the selected
positions.

Failure reason

2. The driver’s seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism not
functioning as intended.

I think the "as intended" should mean if there is no adjustment mechanism then you're ok

Thanks for the links :)

I have a smaller steering wheel fitted although this Clio isnt as bad as my last one which was stripped and had buckets, no pretensioners etc. I am just going to get mine MOT a couple of weeks early and see what happens, not due to July though so plenty of time to see how other people get on

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
looking at all these new rules i can see vosa getting a lot more complaints about failed mot's coming up.

there is far too many loopholes in the wording of some of these items!

There always has been - that's why it's always depended on going to a "friendly" MOT station to get some cars through

A lot of it is left up to the discretion of the MOTer. I had my old 106 fail because it had no seatbelts, harnesses and fixed buckets - but next bloke I sent it to said that was fine as it was even safer than standard LOL

It clearly states though that you must have a 3 point seatbelt on the seats OR a harness that's approved. It also has to be correctly fitted (spreading plates, or strapped to a cage etc...)

Non-sliding seats I could always whack a slider in just for the MOT - and I guess I could put an airbag wheel back on even though the airbag wouldn't be connected LOL
Can't find ANYTHING about having to see engine management lights come on and then go off again - think that's a bit of a misinterpretation TBH

They'res just a lot more things that can fail - such as an airbag light, or a traction control/stability manager light on the dash... stuff like that used to just be warnings

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
yeah but the way they have worded things leaves a lot of things open to interpretation.

and LOL at people changing steering wheels for an MOT!

along with the decat, hid's, and other illegal things you have on your car that will fail!

its getting to the point where you might aswell change the whole car to pass an mot!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
i will be keeping an eye on the failer rates over the next 3 months see how the new items change things at the moment the national average is around 35% a month over the last year mines normally around 30% ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Not read through the entire 9 pages but;

Went in to ask about the new MOT's at my local ATS (not exactly a 'friendly, backstreet' type MOT place) so I trust their advice somewhat, given they are a multi-national chain. They have put two of their MOT guys through the new training and said;

A car with modified steering wheel, thus removing the airbag, will not fail if the airbag light is off. A full track based car (proper cage, harnesses, steering wheel etc) will not fail in respect to the harnesses, steering wheel or lack of airbag. They did agree it was very much now up to interpretation from each tester, but they commented anyone with half a brain will realise a fully caged, harnessed bucket seated car will be safer without the airbags!

So, on with the interior strip out and aftermarket steering wheel for me then!

That's what the place I went to said too - if it was clearly a track car (cage, harnesses, steering wheel, all meeting MSA regulations) then they wouldn't fail it - but in his words "If it's another kid who's taken his back seats out and fitted a big exhaust I'll fail it" lol

some of the more recent replies are promising, i'm lucky with my MOTs thats all i'll say but I have started to run down the OEM+ route now too. I run no rear seats and have removed pretensioners, had a resister placed in the wiring though just so theres no comeback, seatbelts all gone... cannot fail. Also removed my HIDs as the weren't in a globe and looked a little chav dare i say, saving weight for a start and can just fit e-marked clear bulbs which give it the more modern/higher spec look...

Only other worry now for me is that my handbrake is snapped and my stupid tyres sensors haven't worked since i got the bloody car.

Ph2 Clio 172
Lots of people 'LOL-ing' at the idea of using washer blanks to pass the test, but has anyone actually been through an MOT with HIDs and blanks?

To the wording of the testers manual headlight washers have to function only if they are present. There is nothing mandating they have to be there in the first place for HIDs.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If the car came with washers, they must still be fitted and operational at the MOT.

In fact the only reason why the car should not have working washers with a HID system fitted is if the car was built with HIDs but no washers (e.g. 1994 Toyota Supra).

I hope I'm wrong.

Ph2 Clio 172
That is not the case:

Information:
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Method of Inspection:
2. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

Reason for Rejection:
2. A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

From http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm

There is no relevance to if the car should have had washers when it left the factory. To the letter of the rules they have to work if they exist. To me this means that having washer jets that don't work is a fail, but removing them is fine.

Do the Clio's have an auto leveling system?

320d
Clio's do have auto levelling with the xenons.

MOT time is a ball ache. I'll have to take my 3/4 plate off, put my sidelights back in, take the decat off etc. Unless I can find a "friendly" MOT station.

04 Monaco Blue 172
cash cow lol

doesnt really bother me these new rules

all i means is if you actually look after your car normally, you will be fine

BMW 535d
Alot of people probably dont realise your car won't fail an MOT for having no reverse lights so im not sure why everyone is worried about new laws now

Ph2 Clio 172
Anyone passed/failed because of an aftermarket steering wheel, as in no airbag fitted?

According to the wording of the rules as long as the airbag light isn't on it will pass. But again it depends on how much of a PITA the tester wants to be.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
At some point i'd like an aftermarket steering wheel and seats,
seeing as both contain airbags I wasn't sure what the deal was,
looks like when I get round to it, all should be fine with it passing.....hopefully.

107 Track Car & C4
I havent read through all 10 pages, but, I am looking at changing my seats in the 182 for some fixed Bimarco Bucket Seats. Will these cause an MOT failure at all?

Ph2 Clio 172
The seats are a bit of an unknown. Unlike the headlights where the wording includes words like 'if' and 'may' in terms of wether washers exist, the seat wording is a lot more straightforward.

Reason for Rejection:

3.The driver’s seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_620.htm

It doesn't say the seat must have fore and aft adjustment, but just that it works. Wether having a fixed seat fails is difficult to tell. Again, up to the tester.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
No. The rest of the system is still there. As such, the rest of it doesn't become magically 'not fitted', it just becomes inoperative, and if a system is fitted, then it must be operative.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
I was just speaking to an MOT tester whilst getting one done, his view was anything that has been removed would result in a fail, so if someone had removed a ARB for example the mounts are still there so the ARB should.

so same would apply for the washers, you cant just remove something, if its meant to be there it needs to be.

however amusing that you only need to have a speedo in teh dash, it doesnt actually have to work lol

Clio 172 cup,
The way I understand it, I have xenons fitted to my cup and they passed because no washers or headlight levelling system was fitted to the car when new, therefore nothing to test against in regards to these,

My old phase 1 rear seat belts knackered up and refused to move, while I was waiting for replacements my mot became due unfortunately, I removed the rear seats and seat belts, therefore nothing to test, car passed easily, my advice to anyone who is worried about an mot, just make sure anything original fitment to the car still works and doesnt show any warning lights etc and you will be fine.